Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 08:41 PM
LexFather

The 2015 RX F-sport can be had with the same cabernet leather as the GS. That wins by default with that update

Old 03-28-14, 02:28 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always liked the Subaru Forester, it has excellent ratings in the reliability polls and it seriously can hold its own on and off-road (although not a hardcore off-roader, it will certainly put an X3 to shame off the beaten track). Don't know if you get the Diesel over there, but its really a gem. That said, no single SUV has only good or bad traits and its indeed a case of different strokes for different folks. Although this is a miniscule market compared to the US, for some reason all and sundry is well represented here. I believe the C-class Mercedes are exported from here to many different markets as an example. So we even get some Chinese brands here as well, Great Wall Motors (GWM) (which emerged here as the big boy amongst the Chinese motor companies) markets the H5 SUV here with a state of the art modern Diesel engine and what is surprising is that the damn thing outdo much more pretentious vehicles off-road and costs half their price. Looks quite handsome and has all the electronic toys that the Jerryboys charge you extra for. Guys who bought it says they haven't experienced reliability problems to mention and after sales service is not bad. Sets you wondering if a badge is everything

Last edited by nipponbird; 03-28-14 at 03:04 AM. Reason: add something
Old 03-28-14, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Subaru Foresters are very capable, but there is nothing premium or luxurious about one...they're very plain...which is fine just not really comparable to a small luxury SUV.
Old 03-28-14, 08:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'd choose the Q5 over the X3 every time...
+100
Old 03-28-14, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I always liked the Subaru Forester, it has excellent ratings in the reliability polls and it seriously can hold its own on and off-road (although not a hardcore off-roader, it will certainly put an X3 to shame off the beaten track).
Subarus (usually) are indeed reliable. But, unfortunately, the non-turbo fours now have either manual or CVT transmissions instead of an (IMO) more-fitting 6-speed auto. A number of people don't like CVTs and how they operate.
Old 03-28-14, 09:30 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Volkswagen markets their Touareg here with the hype that's it the thinking man's choice regarding an SUV. Of course they will say anything, but if you carefully look at the specs and know the vehicle from more than seeing it on the road, there is an element of truth in it. Son-in-law has one ( I have the suspicion he wanted to up me on the Lexus - futile exercise anyway), but I must admin it scores very well in each department. Talking about the V6 Diesel with the off-road package here. Know it shares much with its Audi and Porsche cousins, but it comes in a bit cheaper.
Hasn't seen it in these discussions( maybe just a blind spot on my side) and would like to know how people over there, view it.
Old 03-28-14, 10:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Volkswagen markets their Touareg here with the hype that's it the thinking man's choice regarding an SUV. Of course they will say anything, but if you carefully look at the specs and know the vehicle from more than seeing it on the road, there is an element of truth in it. Son-in-law has one ( I have the suspicion he wanted to up me on the Lexus - futile exercise anyway), but I must admin it scores very well in each department. Talking about the V6 Diesel with the off-road package here. Know it shares much with its Audi and Porsche cousins, but it comes in a bit cheaper.
Hasn't seen it in these discussions( maybe just a blind spot on my side) and would like to know how people over there, view it.
Recently a good friend tried to purchase one for his G/F and it was a ridiculous experience. They basically lied about the Touareg being new and when they went to purchase it discovered the car was a demo with 3,300 miles! Overall the sales process was a disaster from what they said. They also were unwilling to discount the vehicle.

It certainly has the qualities of a luxury SUV but the dealer network does not.

Old 03-28-14, 11:23 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Recently a good friend tried to purchase one for his G/F and it was a ridiculous experience. They basically lied about the Touareg being new and when they went to purchase it discovered the car was a demo with 3,300 miles! Overall the sales process was a disaster from what they said. They also were unwilling to discount the vehicle.

It certainly has the qualities of a luxury SUV but the dealer network does not.
This doesn't say anything. Every manufacture has bad dealers. this doesn't make the car bad.
Also because your friends had a bad experience with a dealer doesn;t make the entire network bad.
I'm curious too how this car is as I think it's a very good looking one and overlooked.
Old 03-28-14, 12:57 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

It's a bit overlooked here too. SUV that outsells everything else including a lot of saloon cars, is the Toyota Fortuner (as far as I know not available in the US, but very much in the same league as a 4Runner and at the same time quite a different kettle of fish ) But back to the Touareg: Drove it a couple of times and the eight speed auto shifted like a dream. Ride and handling is almost on a par with my RX 350. Also liked the idea of the rear difflock and the other goodies in the off-road package offered by Volkswagen here for the equivalent of $2500. I would say the Touareg will indeed appeal to the thinking guy. But then I prefer my Lexus, just a question of taste. You see...I'm unashamedly biased when it comes to Lexus.
Old 03-28-14, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

They basically lied about the Touareg being new and when they went to purchase it discovered the car was a demo with 3,300 miles! Overall the sales process was a disaster from what they said. They also were unwilling to discount the vehicle.
They wouldn't discount a 3000K+ DEMO?

Damn....even THESE guys know better than to try that.

I totally agree...take your money elsewhere.

Old 03-28-14, 01:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by keyframe13
This doesn't say anything. Every manufacture has bad dealers. this doesn't make the car bad.
Also because your friends had a bad experience with a dealer doesn;t make the entire network bad.
I'm curious too how this car is as I think it's a very good looking one and overlooked.
FYI VW has consistently been rate pretty low in quality and dealer service. This was an opportunity for them to sell a Touarag which is a pretty poor selling SUV. They got duped into a damn demo. Mind you the girl is a huge VW fan and insisted on this vehicle and they still could not sell the car which is just idiotic.

It says a LOT b/c this inept attitude will **** owners off when you dump 50-60k on any car let alone a VW.

Old 03-28-14, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

While I agree one dealer doesn't mean the network is bad, but I think it's safe to say service at a VW dealer isn't going to be equal to that of Lexus, MB, BMW, etc...it wasn't when I dealt with them.
Old 03-28-14, 09:32 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

FYI VW has consistently been rate pretty low in quality and dealer service. This was an opportunity for them to sell a Touarag which is a pretty poor selling SUV. They got duped into a damn demo. Mind you the girl is a huge VW fan and insisted on this vehicle and they still could not sell the car which is just idiotic.

It says a LOT b/c this inept attitude will **** owners off when you dump 50-60k on any car let alone a VW.
My point is that retarded dealers are everywhere. I can find you idiots like this at any Lexus, BMW or Audi but you especially find them at dealers where they sell cars under 20k.
Vw would never have the quality service luxury dealers offer because it's a different target. Thats's the most expensive car they have , they don;t live selling those.
It interesting to see how this car play in this segment. The fact that your friends have bad experience at their Vw dealer is irrelevant, if they had a bad experience with the car, that would be interesting. I guess that was my point and was not in harsh way. I really like the car looks but never been a Vw fan.

Last edited by keyframe13; 03-28-14 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 10:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had a bad enough experience with the VW I owned to make me really question whether I would ever get another.
Old 03-29-14, 05:34 AM
tin369
Rookie

The 2015 RX F-sport can be had with the same cabernet leather as the GS. That wins by default with that update
That would be nice, but I have read many reviews saying the ride is pretty harsh. I have a RAV4 v6 sport which had run flats and the ride was very harsh and i finally got it replaced with regular tires and the ride has become slightly better. i don't want to get out of the same ride as the rav4 and get into a similar ride paying more for the RX350 f sport.

Right now, i am waiting for the nx to be announced and see what the specs are, then I will decide.

I need a smaller suv because wife does not like biggers suv so the contenders are X3, Q5 and the upcoming NX and then next year i need to replace out second car for which I want something with more size and utility, maybe the regular RX350 4th ten or the MDX.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions