Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 10:55 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mazda has to redesign the cx9 from the ground up.

face lifting the front while using the same car for years and years isn't going to cut it.
Old 02-19-14, 11:08 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, got busy and did not get a chance to check this thread and respond earlier.
It sure looks like that this thread has some good recommendations but also has gone little offtopic.

As, I had said I have a RAV4 and happy with it, but I need something different and upgraded. I am also making this hard for myself as there are only a few brands that I like and want to stick to them.

I though I would first get the Q5 it was out since space is an issue with it. The X3 looked perfect but its even smaller than my RAV$ cargo area specific 37 vs 27 cubic feet.

Love lexus because of their reliability and luxuriousness, test drove RX350 and did not like how it drove, plus a refresh should be coming out soon.

Now I am also considering the new MDX which I looked away thinking I don't need a 7 seating suv and might be too big. I took a very short test drive and like it, but the interior is not as luxurious as the Lexus.

The NX will come out late 14 or early 15. My rav4 needs some service and fixing and I don't want to keep putting money so I don't want to wait another year, plus the NX which I hope is great may be small as well.

The X5 is too expensive so is the MB GL. The MDX is a good balance of price and utility and luxury to some degree.
Old 02-19-14, 11:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Hey Mods, a quick question... I don't post nearly as often on CL anymore but one GLARING observation:

When did it become okay to bash Lexus/competition purely based on opinion without a SHRED OF FACT?????

You guys know me, I welcome debate... it's what USED to make CL such a great place... debate, NOT flaming or bating.... if you did, it was corrected IMMEDIATELY

There's been some awesome debate in this thread... AND utterly ridiculous commentary that has no place on the CL I know and would warrant Mod input

I've NEVER seen that on here before

PS: There is not a single FACT about the CX-9 I disagree with when comparing FACTS... if in the market now, for me, the new JGC is awesome (5-seater) as is new Highlander (for me, need 6+ seating) and I'll save posting FACTS in comparing SUVs that have been pointed out... high-end, GL450 or Q7 (again, need 6+ seating)
Truthfully it's because CL has grown. Look at the number of people viewing threads and members now compared to when the initial users of CL began here and then yours and my years. Unfortunately this is what happens when we grow. While it's a good thing, we allow more variables like trolls or just very opinionated people who don't respect each other like a solid 30-40 of us do who are constantly on Car Chat (). I don't see it much different than say when Lexus started out they would send technicians out to service cars or pick them up from owners homes. Lexus is too big now to do that. I'm with you though the boards seem to have lost some quality, but some of us are still commited to upholding CL to high standards
Old 02-19-14, 05:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Sorry guys, got busy and did not get a chance to check this thread and respond earlier.
It sure looks like that this thread has some good recommendations but also has gone little offtopic.

As, I had said I have a RAV4 and happy with it, but I need something different and upgraded. I am also making this hard for myself as there are only a few brands that I like and want to stick to them.

I though I would first get the Q5 it was out since space is an issue with it. The X3 looked perfect but its even smaller than my RAV$ cargo area specific 37 vs 27 cubic feet.

Love lexus because of their reliability and luxuriousness, test drove RX350 and did not like how it drove, plus a refresh should be coming out soon.

Now I am also considering the new MDX which I looked away thinking I don't need a 7 seating suv and might be too big. I took a very short test drive and like it, but the interior is not as luxurious as the Lexus.

The NX will come out late 14 or early 15. My rav4 needs some service and fixing and I don't want to keep putting money so I don't want to wait another year, plus the NX which I hope is great may be small as well.

The X5 is too expensive so is the MB GL. The MDX is a good balance of price and utility and luxury to some degree.
You definitely are making it clear now you want to go bigger. In the compact to "small mid-size" luxury class, only the RX beats the latest gen RAV4's 38.4 cu ft at 40 cu ft. Everything else is less:

Acura RDX: 26.1
Audi Q5: 29.1
BMW X3: 27.6
Cadillac SRX: 29.9
Infiniti QX50: 18.6
LR Evoque: 19.5
MB GLK: 23.3
Porsche Macan: 19.8
Volvo XC60: 30.6

So if the RX at 188" is out, you need to get into the >190 inch "regular mid-size" crossover, and luxury models available are:

Acura MDX: 45.1
BMW X5: 23 (yes, it's smaller than the X3)
Audi Q7: 42
Infiniti QX60: 40.8
Infiniti QX70: 25
LR Range Rover Sport: 32.1
MB ML: 36
MB GL: 43.8
Porsche Cayenne: 23.7

Non-luxury, too many to list but seems you like the imports:

Honda CRV: 37.2
Honda Pilot: 47.7
Mazda CX-5: 34.1
Mazda CX-9: 48.3
Nissan Rogue: 32
Nissan Pathfinder: 47.8
Subaru Tribeca: 37.6
Subaru Outback: 30.3
Toyota RAV4: 38.4
Toyota Venza: 34.4
Toyota Highlander: 42.3
Volkswagen Tiguan: 23.8
Volkswagen Touareg: 32.1

For luxury, MDX or QX60 are great reliable choices and non-luxury, I'd go with the new Highlander hands down. I saw it at the auto show in person and it's interior is nearly as refined as a Lexus RX! Would be a very nice upgrade from the Rav4.

Hopefully you can make your choice since as you can see, not too many with RAV4 or greater sized cargo. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-20-14, 06:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Truthfully it's because CL has grown. Look at the number of people viewing threads and members now compared to when the initial users of CL began here and then yours and my years. Unfortunately this is what happens when we grow. While it's a good thing, we allow more variables like trolls or just very opinionated people who don't respect each other like a solid 30-40 of us do who are constantly on Car Chat (). I don't see it much different than say when Lexus started out they would send technicians out to service cars or pick them up from owners homes. Lexus is too big now to do that. I'm with you though the boards seem to have lost some quality, but some of us are still commited to upholding CL to high standards

Dead on my friend, perfectly stated

FYI... drove the new Stingray in ATL 2 weeks ago... just sick, new fav car... hoping for track time in new Z06 (or "ZR06") this summer at Road America if possible, car doesn't go on sale til Jan 2015 but rumors of "getting some early".... and I do know some folks...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-20-14 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 06:35 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tin369
.... Now I am also considering the new MDX which I looked away thinking I don't need a 7 seating suv and might be too big. I took a very short test drive and like it, but the interior is not as luxurious as the Lexus....The X5 is too expensive so is the MB GL. The MDX is a good balance of price and utility and luxury to some degree.
Based on your goals and info provided from yourself and the thread, seems Highlander and MDX are your best bets, both excellent... GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-20-14, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Make sure you read up on the MDX forum as there are a lot of complaints in regards to the vehicle. Its pretty shocking to see.

Old 02-20-14, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Dead on my friend, perfectly stated

FYI... drove the new Stingray in ATL 2 weeks ago... just sick, new fav car... hoping for track time in new Z06 (or "ZR06") this summer at Road America if possible, car doesn't go on sale til Jan 2015 but rumors of "getting some early".... and I do know some folks...
Sweet ! Do a quick write up in the Vette thread if you can. Would love to hear your impressions
Old 02-20-14, 10:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Make sure you read up on the MDX forum as there are a lot of complaints in regards to the vehicle. Its pretty shocking to see.
Wow, that's surprising... will have to check that out, last edition MDX was a horse... good info
Old 02-20-14, 11:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sweet ! Do a quick write up in the Vette thread if you can. Would love to hear your impressions
If I have time, will do (don't wait up tho )

... quick impressions-
Looks European outside
Easy driving, mileage seems very real world (19/28) no porpoising, solid feel, driving position seems better for longer stints (I'm a wider guy in shoulders so new seats relax around me better)
Doesn't look or feel like Vette inside... quality to previous= NO COMPARISON
Laguna Blue is STUNNING, looked just like this:
Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions-vette.jpg
Old 02-20-14, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

If I have time, will do (don't wait up tho )

... quick impressions-
Looks European outside
Easy driving, mileage seems very real world (19/28) no porpoising, solid feel, driving position seems better for longer stints (I'm a wider guy in shoulders so new seats relax around me better)
Doesn't look or feel like Vette inside... quality to previous= NO COMPARISON
Laguna Blue is STUNNING, looked just like this:
Attachment 316420
That'll do for now. Excellent
Old 02-20-14, 11:32 AM
tin369
Rookie

I was reading on the MDX forum and worried that people are complaining about the new direct Injection engine noise and a whole lot of software bugs.

I am surprised to see that between the Q5 and the X3 the Q5 has a bigger cargo space, I though it was less in person. but if those numbers in the earlier post state otherwise.

A good balance would be to get the MDX and in 2 years replace the other car with a NX or a X3.
Old 02-20-14, 01:34 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

came into this thread looking for actual info for my own purposes. was not disappointed, thanks!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You definitely are making it clear now you want to go bigger. In the compact to "small mid-size" luxury class, only the RX beats the latest gen RAV4's 38.4 cu ft at 40 cu ft. Everything else is less:

Acura RDX: 26.1
Audi Q5: 29.1
BMW X3: 27.6
Cadillac SRX: 29.9
Infiniti QX50: 18.6
LR Evoque: 19.5
MB GLK: 23.3
Porsche Macan: 19.8
Volvo XC60: 30.6

So if the RX at 188" is out, you need to get into the >190 inch "regular mid-size" crossover, and luxury models available are:

Acura MDX: 45.1
BMW X5: 23 (yes, it's smaller than the X3)
Audi Q7: 42
Infiniti QX60: 40.8
Infiniti QX70: 25
LR Range Rover Sport: 32.1
MB ML: 36
MB GL: 43.8
Porsche Cayenne: 23.7

Non-luxury, too many to list but seems you like the imports:

Honda CRV: 37.2
Honda Pilot: 47.7
Mazda CX-5: 34.1
Mazda CX-9: 48.3
Nissan Rogue: 32
Nissan Pathfinder: 47.8
Subaru Tribeca: 37.6
Subaru Outback: 30.3
Toyota RAV4: 38.4
Toyota Venza: 34.4
Toyota Highlander: 42.3
Volkswagen Tiguan: 23.8
Volkswagen Touareg: 32.1

For luxury, MDX or QX60 are great reliable choices and non-luxury, I'd go with the new Highlander hands down. I saw it at the auto show in person and it's interior is nearly as refined as a Lexus RX! Would be a very nice upgrade from the Rav4.

Hopefully you can make your choice since as you can see, not too many with RAV4 or greater sized cargo. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-22-14, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I understand your basic point, comparing the RX to a JGC, to some extent, is apples and oranges. The RX is superb in what it actually does, but it is not intended for the kind of off-roading that Trail-Rated Jeeps are capable of.
But people don't buy the JGC to go off road...and not every JGC is Trail Rated...mine is not. The JGC and the RX are similar in size, and when comparing say an Overland or Summit, similar in price. I can tell you for sure from posting on the Jeep forums, people cross shop the GC and RX all the time.
Old 02-24-14, 12:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would highly recommend the MDX, it is excellent. Neighbors just got one and they love it. It may be a seven seater but it does not feel like a big SUV when you drive or ride in it, it feels much smaller then it is and is quicker and much more fuel efficient then the last one.

If you are looking for a 5 seater then I would recommend the RDX or RX, Pilots and Highlanders are good too though the Pilot is due to be replaced pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions