Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 09:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I like the MDX...but it don't see how anybody can drive the new MDX and feel that it handles superior to...anything...even the RX. The new MDX is quite large, and feels large, it drive basically like a FWD minivan IMHO. Its a nice drive, but to say it handles better than anything is a stretch IMHO.

The RX is also not a great handling vehicle, but it handles as well as an MDX...
Old 03-09-14, 02:25 PM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for not look at the f- sport was basically as its almost the same as the RX350 and don't wan't to pay extra to get the f-sport, plus most of the reviews that I have read say that the ride is very harsh, and don't want to spend money on something that is going to not give a comfortable ride. This based on comments I have read on the RX forum and online reviews.

I also saw a couple of videos on youtube and thought the RX did poorly in the traction test against, BMW, AUDI, MB and MDX.
Old 03-09-14, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
The reason for not look at the f- sport was basically as its almost the same as the RX350 and don't wan't to pay extra to get the f-sport, plus most of the reviews that I have read say that the ride is very harsh, and don't want to spend money on something that is going to not give a comfortable ride. This based on comments I have read on the RX forum and online reviews.

I also saw a couple of videos on youtube and thought the RX did poorly in the traction test against, BMW, AUDI, MB and MDX.
Don't rely solely on reviews you've seen because I can point you to several positive ones such as this recent one.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...x-350-f-sport/

I've seen those traction tests where they go on ramps, with various wheels on or off, right? Unless you plan on going off-roading, in real-world day-to-day driving, the RX does a fantastic job which any RX owner can attest to.

As you've surely done very diligently with the other vehicles you're considering (on spending $50K+), you're always best to test drive the F-Sport. You never know. You might dislike it, or you might love it. In Canada, an RX with Touring package similarly equipped to an F-Sport cost the exact same @$55,400 making the value proposition strong for the F-Sport here. Is the price gap considerable in the US, like for like?
Old 03-09-14, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I agree, no reason not to drive it. I wasn't a fan of it vs the base RX...but you never know unless you drive it yourself.
Old 03-09-14, 06:49 PM
tin369
Rookie

Yeah I guess I could test drive it and see. I don't think my dealers stock the f-sport as it might not be a popular choice.

Ye those ramp videos are exactly what I saw as well. No don't plan on taking it off road, but worried that in snow conditions it may not have good traction or control.
Old 03-09-14, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The RX is going to be just fine in the snow. Look around the forums, have you ever seen anybody (not someone with a hybrid) say they haven't been able to get around in the snow? All you need is a simple AWD system for snow traction...and hell...the RX has a differential lock! My Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't even have one with its base QTI AWD system.
Old 03-09-14, 07:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Yeah I guess I could test drive it and see. I don't think my dealers stock the f-sport as it might not be a popular choice.

Ye those ramp videos are exactly what I saw as well. No don't plan on taking it off road, but worried that in snow conditions it may not have good traction or control.
As SW13GS said and from my experience with three RXs, great traction, not a problem in snow, though braking/steering is all on the tires for any car. However, the standard VDIM on the F-Sport works incredibly well on "steering" the vehicle back on course when the direction of the car does not match the driver's steering input. It will control throttle/power to the wheels, individual brakes, and even apply some steering input as needed to correct the intended line. Never had an issue especially this harsh winter, even with the stock Michelin Latitude Tour HP A/S tires.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-09-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-09-14, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean...my AWD GS is awesome in the snow! Issue with it is ground clearance, but in say 4 inches of snow, I almost prefer to drive it to the Jeep. No lockable differential in the GS as in the RX.
Old 03-10-14, 09:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably already mentioned in the thread, but winter tires are a great investment, even with AWD.
Old 03-10-14, 11:32 AM
tin369
Rookie

One of the other tings about the RX is that the interior needs a refresh which I am assuming will be probably next year, so that's another thing.

Yes, I agree I am learning now that winter tires along with AWD is a good combo.

Due to my own personal taste and the brands that I want to be in, the choices are limited. I also even started to consider the LX460, but not a fan of how the front looks and the gas mileage is not that great.
Old 03-10-14, 03:53 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I just saw this thread and thought I would chime in. I am on my third MDX over an 11 year period, after having driven GMC Yukons for several years. While I loved the Yukon I did not need a vehicle as big, and also wanted better gas mileage. Overall I have been very pleased with the MDX. My personal opinion is that I believe it is the best all-around suv for the money (having said that, for my next vehicle in a couple of years I will be considering something sportier such as a Cayenne). I like the handling with the active damper suspension, the sh-awd, resale value, etc. About the only thing I don’t like about my 11 is a couple of navigation issues and that the gas mileage is worse than the previous two. I average around 18 mpg combined, about 10-15% less than the previous two. I never had any operating issues with the two used MDXs (01 & 05) I purchased, and have had only a couple of small warranty issues with my current 2011 Advance model that I bought new. As an aside, those that have seen my posts on the ES forum know I believe certain technology in my MDX is better than my wife’s 300h, particularly the ventilated seats and the specificity in the AC and audio voice commands.

I participate on the MDX forum and it seems like many of the technology issues have been resolved for current production, but not corrections for owners of initial production vehicles. There are also many who are having trouble getting used to losing buttons and using voice controls. While I really like my 2011 MDX Advance, I am with a sizable group of 2nd generation MDX owners that don’t believe the 2014 warrants a move to the 3rd generation MDX. At any rate, I believe the MDX is a solid vehicle.
Old 03-10-14, 10:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I test drove the MB ML350 today. I was expecting to be wowed by it but did not feel that way.

A few things that did not work for me, the way the rear seats have to be put down, you can't do it from the trunk and when you do it from the second row, its a two step process and not user-friendly or easy at all.

The gear changing is a small lever behind the steering wheel and feels weird and akward, did not like the layout of it at all. Interior was nice but not as nice for the price they are charging.

The most weird thing was adjusting your seats the buttons were on the door, absolutely a design flaw in my opinion. I don't know what they were thinking, memory seats on the door is fine, but the actual seat adjustment feels awkward adjusting from that location.

My wife and I agree that as a functional SUV for price and handling and luxury the MDX has the right balance. We need one SUV now to replace my RAV4 and then in a year, will need to replace my wives car.

So the idea is to get a q5 or X3 as a smaller, car like suv and the second one more functional, so for that we will most likely get the MDX. If the Lexus RX drove and handled like the MDX we would have loved to get a lexus.

I am also waiting to see how the NX turns out to be, maybe that will be a competitor to the Q5 and the X3.

Good choice on the MDX, SHAWD is excellent in the snow.
Old 03-11-14, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your 2011 MDX and the current MDX are pretty different. Yours was sharp and sporty, the new one isn't.
Old 03-13-14, 02:08 PM
tin369
Rookie

I want to add the SRX to the mix and want to know what you guys think of it. I didn't even consider it as I am not sure about its reliability and being an american car.

But I am curious to know from the experts.
Old 03-13-14, 02:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I want to add the SRX to the mix and want to know what you guys think of it. I didn't even consider it as I am not sure about its reliability and being an american car.

But I am curious to know from the experts.
I'm no expert, but...

We recently had a rental SRX on our vacation in Hawaii. Overall, I was pretty impressed with it. This was not long before we bought our RX350, so it was good for comparison's sake. Driving it for 10 days gave me some good time to evaluate the car.

What we liked:
- Style - we found it to be an attractive vehicle
- Comfort - we enjoyed the seating
- Panoramic Sunroof - love! My daughter, in the back seat, loved it too
- Passenger Space - plenty of room up front and in the back seat for my daughter's car seat
- Size - easy to maneuver and park in the city.
- Ride - Stable and comfortable

What we didn't like, which led us to the RX:
- Absolutely hated all the touch sensitive climate controls. Terrible. I swear, they only worked half the time.
- Cargo space was severely limited. Could barely fit our jogging stroller in it, which left no room for anything else.

So overall, there were more things that we liked about it than we didn't, but at the end of the day, I could not deal with the controls, and we needed cargo space in our SUV, which the SRX didn't have enough of.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions