Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i xDrive vs Mitsubishi EVO MR

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Post BMW 335i xDrive vs Mitsubishi EVO MR

http://limitedslipblog.com/2014/02/1...itsubishi-evo/

I really enjoyed reading this. While the cars are both sedans, that is about all they share together and its a nice read about their differences.

Old 02-16-14, 08:27 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting read. Wonder when the new Evo will be released.
Old 02-16-14, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice comparison. Two cars with great heritage and known to be thrilling by two different yet similar means

I"d personally have to go with the BMW for it's overall better refinement. But the EVO is certainly the more engaging driver
Old 02-16-14, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Better have a good dentist if you are going to drive an Evo, particularly on rough roads. The suspension and tires on that car will knock the fillings right out of your mouth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-16-14, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I"d personally have to go with the BMW for it's overall better refinement.
No kidding. That's like comparing an orthopedic mattress to sleeping on a park bench.
Old 02-16-14, 12:23 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No kidding. That's like comparing an orthopedic mattress to sleeping on a park bench.
Sounds like you're thinking just of suspension. I'm not only talking about that but I6 vs I4, refinement of interior design etc..

I have a lousy back, so a jarring daily driver is not for me. Part of the reason my IS is being put back to stock and shopping the 4GS (fantastic 18-way power seats on Luxury Pkg and GSh) among other vehicles soon
Old 02-16-14, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Sounds like you're thinking just of suspension. I'm not only talking about that but I6 vs I4, refinement of interior design etc..

I have a lousy back, so a jarring daily driver is not for me. Part of the reason my IS is being put back to stock and shopping the 4GS (fantastic 18-way power seats on Luxury Pkg and GSh) among other vehicles soon
!!

Old 02-16-14, 02:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

with all the high praise you give the GS, im pretty sure you'll end up loving it
Old 02-16-14, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by edgeucated
with all the high praise you give the GS, im pretty sure you'll end up loving it
I think so, and it's a natural progression of staying with Lexus which is a bonus. Waiting to see if 2015 models get a full spindle. If not hopefully a good deal on outgoing '14's

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR is a brutal and visceral experience. That’s what it set out to be and that’s why we enjoy it so much. It’s simply amazing at what it does and nobody can fault it for trying to be anything else. It is 100% solely focused on performance, something that the BMW can’t be. The BMW 335i xDrive is more comfortable and refined. It isn’t solely focused on performance. Time and cost were spent to add civility, which meant that concessions were made in performance. It explains the cost and performance differential between the two cars. But we don’t enjoy the BMW any less because of it. Just as the book highlighted the dangers of repeatedly unleashing Mr. Hyde, we admit that it would be difficult living with the Mitsubishi every day. It wears on you, which is why it was so nice to spend a few days in the BMW. We couldn’t realistically pick a winner. Both cars are so different and yet so similar, we can’t imagine them together. It’s the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.
Yeah I feel there is no winner here, as everyone's tastes vary. What is apparent is you have two cars that do well, so pick your cup of tea essentially