Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3IS is not very photogenic but I've found it looks much better in person

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 02:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At work I tell co-workers all the time the 3IS would look way better with 19's. They just shrug it off, saying it's perfect the way it is.
The lines of the car really pop with bigger wheels.
Old 02-20-14, 02:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Lex-Father. Those pics do make the differences. It made the IS stands out ways more than the Q50 does. Or I can say that I like the Creases, muscles, cuts that the IS have
Thanks. The IS just has amazing details in person and it takes a really good photographer to make them stand out. The front end isn't for everyone, nor the tiny headlights and LEDs so I'm surely not saying its a beauty like a Maserati.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Those shots look real good, Mike. Did he light paint the car or multiple shoot? A photographer definitely can make a break a car. Not a big fan of non-F IS. The F Sport does look good under certain angles. And some subtle mod definitely help bring out the hidden beauty. Same goes with the GS.

On the other hand, I saw a Q50 pulling into the gas station the other night. I almost thought it was an Azera looking from the front. Is it just me?
Thanks, yes he did use light paint. When he saw the yellow for the first time, he literally text me "genius". Photographers get so many usual bland colors so a yellow car and one as dynamic as the IS is a treat.

Old 02-20-14, 02:40 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Mike, what I'm curious to know is which car you prefer to drive, the GS-F or the 3IS. I haven't driven a 3IS.
Old 02-20-14, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Hey Mike, what I'm curious to know is which car you prefer to drive, the GS F-Sport or the 3IS. I haven't driven a 3IS.
Fixed. There is no current GS F, let's not cheat here.
Old 02-20-14, 06:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Agree with OP - IS in Fsport trim looks GREAT in person.
The headlight look awesome too.

Lexus did a superb job designing it.
Old 02-20-14, 07:46 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3IS looks not so good in photo, but looks great in person
Old 02-20-14, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the interior of the new IS more than the exterior. I have had a 2014 IS250 as a loaner for the last 3 days while my ISF is getting serviced and I like it but I am not blown away. The dash design seems a little busy but looks nice. Kind of odd though.
Old 02-21-14, 02:38 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

^how does the new interior feel?
Old 02-21-14, 07:44 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
^how does the new interior feel?
I love the new interior, very sleek, luxurious, flirty (especially Red) It yells attentions, and Sporty. Nice touches everywhere. I think it fit the car personality very well, small + snugly + sporty + luxurious. Well that is my personal opinion
Old 02-21-14, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Hey Mike, what I'm curious to know is which car you prefer to drive, the GS-F or the 3IS. I haven't driven a 3IS.
Good question…My thoughts..

The IS seats are just butter….they offer less adjustments than the GS F-sport, they are not leather but they fit like a glove.
The IS gauges are ****. LFA inspired gauges. Love them
The IS is more nimble and I attribute this to the smaller size and mass.
The IS is an immediacy car to me. As soon as I get in it, I want to race somewhere and drive the complete snot out of it. Its one of those truly fun cars. Steering is precise. With stock tires you easily overpower the rear if you want while staying in control The last model was not like that.

The GS F-sport has 16 way seats and F-sport bolsters but either I need to put down the 8 piece friend chicken or they just are not as good as the IS. They are still comfy and for long drives better with the leg extenders.
The GS gauges are more traditional and still good and HUD is a great feature and keeps your eyes on the road.
The GS is nimble as well and really fools you into thinking it is a smaller car. Ours also has optional rear steer (this is an option the IS has in other markets but not the US) and it makes a huge difference even if it only moves a couple of degrees. The rear is much more fun and planted and predictable than the IS which is saying a lot as the IS handles well.
The GS grows on you. Its bigger and the dash is less sporty so I don't seem to ever jump in and go nuts. After 5 -10 minutes, the car begs to be driven harder. I swear the intake tube in the cabin is louder than the IS. With rear steer the GS is extremely capable but where the IS doesn't feel underpowered, the GS I feel could use 30-50 more hp and lbs torque to really exploit the chassis and size and rear steer.

I have casually tracked the GS at PBIR and it is stunningly good. I have yet to track the IS but hope to soon. I have a crazy track idea and if it happens, I think the Lexus and car enthusiasts here will enjoy it.

Hope this helps. I am scared to talk about the Q50 as it is not even close in regards to sport. It really is a relaxed vehicle but yes its fast and the higher redline is very fun, though the car is now muted and sounds very blah (no more VQ sound).

Old 02-21-14, 08:35 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I love the new interior, very sleek, luxurious, flirty (especially Red) It yells attentions, and Sporty. Nice touches everywhere. I think it fit the car personality very well, small + snugly + sporty + luxurious. Well that is my personal opinion
thanks for the 411
Old 02-21-14, 12:38 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this one. My favorite.

Old 02-21-14, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Thanks minion