Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3IS is not very photogenic but I've found it looks much better in person

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 06:35 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS is not very photogenic but I've found it looks much better in person

Today I had the opportunity to compare a white F-sports IS350 directly next to a light blue Q50. One issue that I've discovered with the 3IS is that it's not very photogenic. The 3IS has a nicely sculpted body, typical Lexus tightness and extreme attention to detail.

In comparison to the Q50 which looks very nice on phoos, but in person it's quite bloated and has a 'tired' look to it.

Same with the interior. The q50 looks nice in photos, but in person the 3IS has the better interior. Everything is tightly put together and you have a feeling of solidness inside & out. The Q50 interior is a cluttered mess and they use the same cheap grainy roof liner that Hyundai & the Germans use.
Old 02-20-14, 06:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Could not agree more about the IS.

When I first saw the 3IS in photos, I instantly ruled it out for my next purchase. It wasn't until I saw it in real life that I began to appreciate it.

There are a lot of interesting and highly detailed angles and curves on the new IS that you just don't pick up in photos. Some of them still aren't that apparent in real life until you wash it by hand and really feel how it flows.

As for the Q50, I actually find it is much like the IS in that it looks better in real life than in photos. There is an aggressiveness to the lines that aren't so apparent in photos, but do appear in real life. It looks a lot more "Altima-ish" in photos. Do agree with you about the interior, though. I find the Q50 has good quality materials inside, but the design does not stand out. I find the 3IS interior design to be a stand out.
Old 02-20-14, 07:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

white isnt the best color for this car. One of the reasons I didnt get it in white. But yea it looks a lot better in person than pictures
Old 02-20-14, 07:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the 3IS would look worlds better if Lexus had offered 19s (at least on the F Sport). I saw a nice 250F yesterday and the wheels looked too small (IMO).

these are probably 20s...

19s....
Attached Thumbnails 3IS is not very photogenic but I've found it looks much better in person-capture.jpg  
Old 02-20-14, 07:11 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Seeing them both in the forum. The Q50 reminds me of the Avalon....IS is sleek and sport looking. I will test drive soon though
Old 02-20-14, 07:17 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Keeping my fingers crossed for an is-f, no matter how potent the new c63 might be this will be my favorite. I've fallen in love with is. I hated it initially but now its my favorite of the segment!
Old 02-20-14, 07:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

To me the new IS, LFA, and FR-S all look way better in person.
Old 02-20-14, 07:56 AM
LexFather

I guess I would be considered a good frame of reference having tons of experience with professional photography with cars, the 3IS of course being one of them. Hopefully my post is not wasted and overlooked, not in the mood to debate with an O.P not sure how this all works.

It also depends on the photographer and the editor first, they can make or break how a car looks. The photographer who took the shots of my yellow IS below is one of the best in the business. I honestly was scared but his skills are amazing (Clifford Sutrsimo http://www.cliffordsutrisno.com/automotive ).

of course a lowered modified car helps

I notice many angles for the IS are terrible angles and with the worst wheels possible. That does not help. The IS in average photos to me does not come off as a great looking, so I do agree. The details of the car are simply overlooked.

Here is a base IS, terrible angle

To me the Q50 is one of the best looking sedans out, its a safer design so its easier to photograph. It also seems to have all the photos with the optional Sport package with the 19s. If you have seen a base model which most are sold with the 17s, its a different story.

Now compare that with this…

Overall for a photographer color comes into play to. Silver/White/Grey are not exciting. Black is toughest. Yellow pops and brings out all the details for a photographer to perfect.

Now lets all post camera phone pics!!

Old 02-20-14, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Today I had the opportunity to compare a white F-sports IS350 directly next to a light blue Q50. One issue that I've discovered with the 3IS is that it's not very photogenic. The 3IS has a nicely sculpted body, typical Lexus tightness and extreme attention to detail.

In comparison to the Q50 which looks very nice on phoos, but in person it's quite bloated and has a 'tired' look to it.

Same with the interior. The q50 looks nice in photos, but in person the 3IS has the better interior. Everything is tightly put together and you have a feeling of solidness inside & out. The Q50 interior is a cluttered mess and they use the same cheap grainy roof liner that Hyundai & the Germans use.
Post sounds like a 180. While I've been quiet as of late in regards to this, you've been pretty adamant of "cheapness". Seeing and experiencing it in person is a bit different than pictures and words on the interwebz
Old 02-20-14, 11:28 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atomic Silver (the darker Silver color, not grey) is also a fantastically dynamic color for the new 3IS as well.
Old 02-20-14, 12:48 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Lex-Father. Those pics do make the differences. It made the IS stands out ways more than the Q50 does. Or I can say that I like the Creases, muscles, cuts that the IS have
Old 02-20-14, 12:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It makes sense and its ok, some people can't to view an object or maybe even an idea from a third perspective or the perspective given to them.

Last edited by G Star; 02-20-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 01:26 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Those shots look real good, Mike. Did he light paint the car or multiple shoot? A photographer definitely can make a break a car. Not a big fan of non-F IS. The F Sport does look good under certain angles. And some subtle mod definitely help bring out the hidden beauty. Same goes with the GS.

On the other hand, I saw a Q50 pulling into the gas station the other night. I almost thought it was an Azera looking from the front. Is it just me?
Old 02-20-14, 01:43 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Post sounds like a 180. While I've been quiet as of late in regards to this, you've been pretty adamant of "cheapness". Seeing and experiencing it in person is a bit different than pictures and words on the interwebz
The thing is that I didn't get much time with the 3IS. So I just decides to hit the showroom and done a re evaluation of the 3IS. And oddly enough a Q50 was right beside a 3IS.
Old 02-20-14, 02:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexFather
I guess I would be considered a good frame of reference having tons of experience with professional photography with cars, the 3IS of course being one of them. Hopefully my post is not wasted and overlooked, not in the mood to debate with an O.P not sure how this all works.

It also depends on the photographer and the editor first, they can make or break how a car looks. The photographer who took the shots of my yellow IS below is one of the best in the business. I honestly was scared but his skills are amazing (Clifford Sutrsimo http://www.cliffordsutrisno.com/automotive ).

of course a lowered modified car helps

I notice many angles for the IS are terrible angles and with the worst wheels possible. That does not help. The IS in average photos to me does not come off as a great looking, so I do agree. The details of the car are simply overlooked.

Here is a base IS, terrible angle

To me the Q50 is one of the best looking sedans out, its a safer design so its easier to photograph. It also seems to have all the photos with the optional Sport package with the 19s. If you have seen a base model which most are sold with the 17s, its a different story.

Now compare that with this…

Overall for a photographer color comes into play to. Silver/White/Grey are not exciting. Black is toughest. Yellow pops and brings out all the details for a photographer to perfect.

Now lets all post camera phone pics!!
Yeah my point exactly. Almost every photo on the internet and on website reviews doesn't reflect how the car actually looks.
Even the base model looks nice in person.

Also there's no point in getting the 3IS in dark colours as it'll literally hide its design flair.

Quick Reply: 3IS is not very photogenic but I've found it looks much better in person