Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ca. Lemon law?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14 | 08:15 PM
noho21
Driver School Candidate

Default Ca. Lemon law?

I bought a 2014 IS 250 in early January. I had it for a week and someone hit my car (and ran) while I was parked and I wasn't able to get their license or anything. I filed a claim with my insurance and they began working on my car. Initially they said it would be done within a week, but then they discovered that it needed to replace a part (something with the suspension). But Lexus hasn't manufactured that part yet, except for the new cars. My car has been in the shop since Jan. 17 and the part won't be available for a few more weeks. Do I have any options to negotiate either a new car or getting out of my lease to own contract since it's taken so long? Does the 30-day rule of the Ca. lemon law apply in my situation? It's very frustrating and and any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-20-14 | 08:18 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

what company are you with? i think all states gives you a brand new car if its totaled.
Old 02-20-14 | 08:22 PM
noho21
Driver School Candidate

It wasn't totaled though. They could fix it, but the part isn't available. I'm with Geico
Old 02-20-14 | 08:38 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

The lemon law does not apply to accidents.
Old 02-20-14 | 08:47 PM
noho21
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I wasn't sure if the 30-day applied. It makes sense though. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-21-14 | 02:40 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

I hope everything works out for you OP
Old 02-21-14 | 10:02 AM
GS3Tek

Even my friend's late 2013 corolla took a while to get repaired b/c parts weren't readily available also and the body shop had to order it.

This is why get you get car rental on your ins. policy. When your car is in for repair, you get a rental
Old 02-25-14 | 05:39 PM
noho21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I heard back from Lexus today and another 3 weeks have been added until the part is available for my car. Lexus offered to pay the difference in what Geico doesn't pay (after the 30-day limit) for the rental car and two months of my car payment. That's a show of goodwill and I appreciate that. Overall though, I am disappointed from this whole experience. I think Lexus is a sweet car for sure, but I wish this would've been handled differently. I guess I expected more from Lexus. They people I talked to were very nice, but I was honest and told them that I wished I had gone with another brand and wouldn't be buying another Lexus again. Kinda bummed by the whole situation. :/
Old 02-26-14 | 12:22 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ You bought the first MY of a brand new body style that is only a few months old and you expect there to be an abundance of parts laying around? It sounds like Lexus is stepping up in every way possible for your troubles. Go read the CLA forums and see what sort of wait times those people are encountering and how well MBZ is taking care of them...

Not to sound too harsh, but it seems like you're being a little unrealistic.
Old 02-26-14 | 07:02 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ You bought the first MY of a brand new body style that is only a few months old and you expect there to be an abundance of parts laying around? It sounds like Lexus is stepping up in every way possible for your troubles. Go read the CLA forums and see what sort of wait times those people are encountering and how well MBZ is taking care of them...

Not to sound too harsh, but it seems like you're being a little unrealistic.
He's being unrealistic for expecting Lexus to be able to support a product they sell?

And I honestly don't think "Well, Mercedes Benz is worse" is a valid argument.

I don't think he's expecting an "abundance of parts lying around". I doubt he expects the Lexus parts department to have shelves full of parts for this new style.

I think if Lexus was telling him "This is a special order part." it would be one thing. Telling him "We're not planning on selling that part for quite a while" is something else entirely.

It does sound like Lexus is stepping up and making good on their parts shortfall.
Old 02-26-14 | 07:51 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

In the early years of Hyundai being imported the shortage of parts particularly body panels resulted in a huge uptick in thefts. The cars quickly reached the top of the "most stolen" lists. Didn't help that they were comparitively easy to hotwire.

When the manufacturers are gathering steam to put out the first edition of what turns out to be a popular car it is often the case that spare parts are tough to come by. I trust you are in a suitable loaner from Geico?
Old 02-26-14 | 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Habious
I think if Lexus was telling him "This is a special order part." it would be one thing. Telling him "We're not planning on selling that part for quite a while" is something else entirely.
but it is a special order part and it takes a while to get it from production to dealer's hands...
Old 02-26-14 | 07:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by noho21
Thanks for all the replies. I heard back from Lexus today and another 3 weeks have been added until the part is available for my car. Lexus offered to pay the difference in what Geico doesn't pay (after the 30-day limit) for the rental car and two months of my car payment. That's a show of goodwill and I appreciate that. Overall though, I am disappointed from this whole experience. I think Lexus is a sweet car for sure, but I wish this would've been handled differently. I guess I expected more from Lexus. They people I talked to were very nice, but I was honest and told them that I wished I had gone with another brand and wouldn't be buying another Lexus again. Kinda bummed by the whole situation. :/

Lexus is paying for the rental and car payments.That's great!
Old 02-26-14 | 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by noho21
Thanks for all the replies. I heard back from Lexus today and another 3 weeks have been added until the part is available for my car. Lexus offered to pay the difference in what Geico doesn't pay (after the 30-day limit) for the rental car and two months of my car payment. That's a show of goodwill and I appreciate that.
i'd say that's really GREAT service!

... I guess I expected more from Lexus.
that the part would be available more quickly? or something else?

They people I talked to were very nice, but I was honest and told them that I wished I had gone with another brand and wouldn't be buying another Lexus again.
not sure the point of telling them that. not sure another brand would be better on a new model. i'm sure it's very disappointing not to have the car you leased to drive though!