Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do any General Motors products appeal to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 12:29 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
placing the blame on gm is not appropriate in my view... a deal was put on the table and they took it. it took govt force to violate normal bankruptcy law and hideous crony payoffs.
And pray tell, who appointed all the task masters to run GM after the violations of the laws? The management team was all of the governments choosing, without approval of the board. And to a greater or lessor degree, they still jump though the hoops as dictated by both union and government.
Old 03-07-14, 06:16 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I lol'ed at this.

Let's see the Tundra outpull, outhaul, or outwork the Sierra 3500. Not a fair comparison? Toyota's fault for not building something in that class.
Let's see that Sierra 3500 not go through intermediate steering shafts every 20,000 miles. Not a fair comparison? GM's fault for building garbage.
Old 03-07-14, 06:17 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

placing the blame on gm is not appropriate in my view... a deal was put on the table and they took it. it took govt force to violate normal bankruptcy law and hideous crony payoffs.
Yeah, it's not GM's fault they went out of business. Clearly it was those stupid Americans for not knowing a good car when they see one. Love them Cobalts and Blazers.
Old 03-07-14, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Yeah, it's not GM's fault they went out of business. Clearly it was those stupid Americans for not knowing a good car when they see one. Love them Cobalts and Blazers.
you're changing the subject from them going bankrupt, which they largely deserved, to how the bailout was put together by the govt working in cahoots with the UAW and screwing the bond holders and taxpayers.

gm certainly made a lot of foul cars in its past (and some great ones) but was actually turning it around when the economy collapsed (not gm's fault) causing them to fail. ford's good timing of refinancing some big loans right before the economic collapse allowed them to avoid bankruptcy and the bailout mess. unfortunately they then had to compete with no help against a bailed out gm, which was grotesquely unfair.

anyway, i doubt you're interested in what i'm writing, as your seething hatred of anything 'merican made is pretty obvious.
Old 03-07-14, 11:34 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

you're changing the subject from them going bankrupt, which they largely deserved, to how the bailout was put together by the govt working in cahoots with the UAW and screwing the bond holders and taxpayers.

gm certainly made a lot of foul cars in its past (and some great ones) but was actually turning it around when the economy collapsed (not gm's fault) causing them to fail. ford's good timing of refinancing some big loans right before the economic collapse allowed them to avoid bankruptcy and the bailout mess. unfortunately they then had to compete with no help against a bailed out gm, which was grotesquely unfair.

anyway, i doubt you're interested in what i'm writing, as your seething hatred of anything 'merican made is pretty obvious.
GM was losing money hand over fist as far back as 2001. So was Chrysler. The only thing the market collapse of 2008 did was quicken their demise.

You're right, Ford went broke sooner than GM did and they lucked out. GM was offered the same loans that Ford was in 2006, but they did not take it, which was yet another management failure.
Old 03-08-14, 12:26 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only the Vette
Old 03-08-14, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

gm certainly made a lot of foul cars in its past (and some great ones) but was actually turning it around when the economy collapsed (not gm's fault) causing them to fail.
The last-generation Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura were good examples of that. Too bad the Aura was lost with Saturn's demise....but the Malibu lived on.

ford's good timing of refinancing some big loans right before the economic collapse allowed them to avoid bankruptcy and the bailout mess. unfortunately they then had to compete with no help against a bailed out gm, which was grotesquely unfair.
Ford, however, by dumping Land Rover, Volvo, Jaguar, Mercury, and (part of) Mazda, got rid of a lot of money-draining divisions that, financially, had more or less the same positive effect as a government bailout would have been.

I have to agree with you....some people simply have their head in the sand. Detroit still does some poorly-done vehicles (witness the Cadillac XLS and Lincoln MKS), but they also are doing some EXCELLENT products as well...admittedly, at least partly with the help of European and Asian platforms. And, each year, more and more of the junk that Detroit still does produce is steadily being redone and redesigned.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-08-14, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
GM was losing money hand over fist as far back as 2001. So was Chrysler. The only thing the market collapse of 2008 did was quicken their demise.
don't care about chrysler, and can't find data as far back as '01, but this chart below shows gm lost money from '05-'08 but made money in '04.

You're right, Ford went broke sooner than GM did and they lucked out.
not sure how you can say they went broke, they didn't go bankrupt. did they borrow money? sure, but all car companies do that.

GM was offered the same loans that Ford was in 2006, but they did not take it, which was yet another management failure.
hey i'm not defending gm's management here... their problems though did get created over a LONG time and have a lot to do with caving in to unions time and time again which eventually, combined with economic calamity (which began long before '08) was a ball and chain so huge it sank the company.

on this chart, gotta love the 'other income' in 09 of 127 BILLION
Attached Thumbnails Do any General Motors products appeal to you?-gm-fin-04-13.jpg  
Old 03-13-14, 09:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think this sums it up for me. I really like the styling of the Caddy lineup; but once you add on a few options, the price is no better than any competitor vehicle, all of which have a proven track record. Plus, the Caddy reliability is just not there yet. And I saw the CUE system at the Philly Auto Show--it's atrocious.

I like the styling of the new Impala--but the car is just too large for my taste.

I also saw the Regal GS at the Auto Show--really sharp looking. And with the reliability to boot. But once I found out that it comes with a tire inflator kit instead of a spare or run flats, it was immediately off my list. If it wasn't for that, I would look at that car a lot closer.
If this is an updated look for the Impala, I retract what I said:
Attached Thumbnails Do any General Motors products appeal to you?-2014-impala-acc-011.jpg  
Old 03-13-14, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If this is an updated look for the Impala, I retract what I said:
Why buy an accord wannabe when you can get a real accord

Old 03-13-14, 10:47 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dunno if it's been said but the 2014 Buick Regal GS is one nice sedan!

Old 03-13-14, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Why buy an accord wannabe when you can get a real accord

Have you DRIVEN a new Impala? As good a car as the Accord is, chassis-wise, it can't hold a candle to the Impala. Nor, for that matter can last year's Impala. GM clearly hit a home run out of the park with the 2014 Impala. Its driving dynamics and ride-handling balance is as different from past Impalas as steak is to hamburger.