Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
In my part of the world it starts at around $40k for the base model and we actually use them off road in very tough conditions and they are known to be the best vehicles you can rely on in the desert heat and they can survive abuse in very harsh climates even though they may look like mall Cruisers with every generation.
Thats an entirely different thing. Here, we have no such conditions, and the vehicle's utility is not really necessary and its priced like a Range Rover....
Old 02-23-14, 08:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love those interiors and wish they'd bring them here!

Personally, I think the LX is one of the nicest interiors in the world at any price point - the LS of SUVs.
Old 02-23-14, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Personally, I think the LX is one of the nicest interiors in the world at any price point - the LS of SUVs.
You need some experience with some of the cars out there nowadays at these price points. Even the LS, while certainly nice is not one of the nicest interiors in the world in 2014. The competition gets better and better.
Old 02-23-14, 08:43 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW13GS..the interior of your GS looks beautiful
Old 02-23-14, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why thank you, I like it a lot...
Old 02-23-14, 08:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can understand why would have difficulty in understanding the LC. I'm surprised they even still sell them in the States, i'm guessing the only reason they still do is because of its history and the fact it is one of the first Toyota vehicles to be sold in the US.

In my part of the world it starts at around $40k for the base model and we actually use them off road in very tough conditions and they are known to be the best vehicles you can rely on in the desert heat and they can survive abuse in very harsh climates even though they may look like mall Cruisers with every generation. The LC200/LX are by far the most common 4wd vehicles in my region and the only luxurious 4wd that can come close is the NISSAN PATROL. Excellent vehicles with amazing cooling systems and they can even handle abuse all day, the new ones have more electronics, but no one really complained yet.

However, my personal favorite is the 80 series and LX 450.
How does it stack against the G wagen? I know the G wagen is superior on paper, but how about real life?
Old 02-23-14, 09:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You need some experience with some of the cars out there nowadays at these price points. Even the LS, while certainly nice is not one of the nicest interiors in the world in 2014. The competition gets better and better.
I have been in and out of plenty of nice cars...recently, ranging from Mulsanne to Continental GT, Flying Spur, the new S Class and some of the newer Range Rovers, 458 Italia, Vanquish, etc.

The new S Class was probably the most spectacular considering price, but for their age, LS and LX still stack up nicely with quality and materials. I have yet to find an SUV with an interior nicer than the LX. The new RR's are nice and have some beautiful detailing, but there are still some stylistic elements I don't really care for.

I personally enjoy the "old school", taller center console look of the LX and the materials are top notch. LS doesn't have as many toys or quite the level of detailing as the S Class, but the materials are, again, way above many other luxury cars. LS 600hL especially, is pretty spectacular inside.

I don't care much for the interiors of the Mulsanne or Continental GT, though I can certainly respect and appreciate what goes into them both. Flying Spur was incredible though.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-23-14 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 09:29 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
How does it stack against the G wagen? I know the G wagen is superior on paper, but how about real life?
Well...over here the G Wagen is mainly used as a luxury vehicle ''for show'' if you know what i mean. Very bling. Most of them are G500 with AMG body kits or G55/63/65 It sells in more limited numbers compared to the LX 570 which is the best selling luxury 4wd in the region.

They are expensive over here and no matter how reliable the G wagen it is no were near as common which means the average person who spends most of his time in the desert will not even think of having the G wagen on his list ...Reputation plays a big role. The LC ticks all the boxes for most people. Reliable, durable, capable and more comfortable ( LC200/LX570). You will find more spare parts for the LC in rural areas and you can get it fixed anywhere, everyone knows how to work on LCs over here. I also highly doubt the G Class would do better out in the desert heat than the LC which is known to be one of the best vehicles in the world to survive in the extreme desert temperatures while having
one of the best if not the best AC system in a vehicle in the world.

Maybe in the US most people wouldn't take an $80k LX off road but over here many do and the beautiful thing with the LX is you actually can, not once or twice, but as many times as you please. It would outlive it's owners easily. I would love to see someone take a Range Rover and drive it the same way the locals drive the LX out here in the desert, lets see how long it survives, it might do well in a Top Gear episode or some organized event/publicity stunt, but in reality the last gen RRs are falling apart out here in the desert. For eg, you see loads of old school Patrols/Land Cruisers being used in the desert to this day but you don't really see any of the bedouins using old Land Rovers/Range Rovers as workhorses or vehicles they can depend on, because they know they can't rely on them the same way they can with the LC/PATROL......

The Land Cruiser killed off Land Rover and most of its competition in many parts of the world. Closest competitor would be the Nissan Patrol which really goes head to head with the LC and is the only vehicle that would probably be considered a threat to the LC. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-23-14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Well...over here the G Wagen is mainly used as a luxury vehicle ''for show'' if you know what i mean. Very bling. Most of them are G500 with AMG body kits or G55/63/65 It sells in more limited numbers compared to the LX 570 which is the best selling luxury 4wd in the region.

They are expensive over here and no matter how reliable the G wagen it is no were near as common which means the average person who spends most of his time in the desert will not even think of having the G wagen on his list ...Reputation plays a big role. The LC ticks all the boxes for most people. Reliable, durable, capable and more comfortable ( LC200/LX570). You will find more spare parts for the LC in rural areas and you can get it fixed anywhere, everyone knows how to work on LCs over here. I also highly doubt the G Class would do better out in the desert heat than the LC which is known to be one of the best vehicles in the world to survive in the extreme desert temperatures while having
one of the best if not the best AC system in a vehicle in the world.

Maybe in the US most people wouldn't take an $80k LX off road but over here many do and the beautiful thing with the LX is you actually can, not once or twice, but as many times as you please. It would outlive it's owners easily. I would love to see someone take a Range Rover and drive it the same way the locals drive the LX out here in the desert, lets see how long it survives....the last gen RRs are falling apart out here in the desert. For eg, you see loads of old school Patrols/Land Cruisers being used in the desert to this day but you don't really see any of the bedouins using old Land Rovers/Range Rovers as workhorses or vehicles they can depend on, because they know they can't rely on them the same way they can with the LC/PATROL......

The Land Cruiser killed off Land Rover and most of its competition in many parts of the world. Closest competitor would be the Nissan Patrol which really goes head to head with the LC and is the only vehicle that would probably be considered a threat to the LC. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
FANTASTIC post
Old 02-24-14, 04:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Land Cruiser killed off Land Rover in parts of the world where they have cheaper, decontemted Land Cruisers and accessible Prado trims.

In the American market I just don't see how the Land Cruiser fits in. I suppose that's why nobody buys them...
Old 02-24-14, 07:13 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Land Cruiser killed off Land Rover in parts of the world where they have cheaper, decontemted Land Cruisers and accessible Prado trims.

In the American market I just don't see how the Land Cruiser fits in. I suppose that's why nobody buys them...

The US market is a whole different story. I am surprised they even still sell the LC, i guess the only reason they do is because of its history...I wouldn't be surprised to see it getting discontinued in the US when the next gen comes out. Any idea if the Sequoia is getting axed?

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-24-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 08:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think a lot of what keeps the Land Cruiser sales in the U.S. is legacy buyers...people who have been buying them for 20 or 30 years, and just won't drive anything else.

Granted, at $80k and with gas prices $3-$4, there are less and less of those people, but the Land Cruiser does enjoy a bit of a niche market.
Old 02-24-14, 08:34 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think a lot of what keeps the Land Cruiser sales in the U.S. is legacy buyers...people who have been buying them for 20 or 30 years, and just won't drive anything else.

Granted, at $80k and with gas prices $3-$4, there are less and less of those people, but the Land Cruiser does enjoy a bit of a niche market.
Excellent point. I know Land Cruiser owners are super loyal. Some love to hate on the newest models, but they eventually find a way to get them in their garage. The problem is though, since so few Land Cruisers are sold in the US, many of the older Land Cruiser owners who want to upgrade in a few years time will have a much more difficult time finding a used 200 LC than they would have had 10/20 years ago. As a result you do have quite a few who end up moving to 4 Runners/GX/Tundras or even rebuilding older Cruisers. As sad as this is, it makes them even more special

I know a few guys in the US who own 200 series Cruisers and many folks have a puzzled look on their faces when they see them, they just have no idea what it is .
Over here i would look out the window and see tons of Land Cruisers, good thing Land Cruisers make you feel special regardless of how may people drive them.
Old 02-24-14, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

In our market where we had dealership, we had high rate of LC sales, probably biggest in the Europe. We sold many Prado's, as well as quite few LC200's.

Big difference from USA is that people who buy these, drive over bad roads on daily basis... It is not just for fun like offroading in the USA where you buy SUV and go visit some trails for fun... it is daily driving over bad terrain plus occasional fun trail once in a year.

And LC handle these daily beatings easily... their suspensions are very solid and we never had any problems with any one of them and we had some that were bought from us that went over 400,000 miles (we dont have highways so it is a lot of interstate and backroad driving), without a single issue with suspension due to all the crap it had to endure.

So it is a car that can take a beating every day for many years and thats why people get them.
Old 02-24-14, 09:01 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
In our market where we had dealership, we had high rate of LC sales, probably biggest in the Europe. We sold many Prado's, as well as quite few LC200's.

Big difference from USA is that people who buy these, drive over bad roads on daily basis... It is not just for fun like offroading in the USA where you buy SUV and go visit some trails for fun... it is daily driving over bad terrain plus occasional fun trail once in a year.

And LC handle these daily beatings easily... their suspensions are very solid and we never had any problems with any one of them and we had some that were bought from us that went over 400,000 miles (we dont have highways so it is a lot of interstate and backroad driving), without a single issue with suspension due to all the crap it had to endure.

So it is a car that can take a beating every day for many years and thats why people get them.

They just keep going, very solid vehicles indeed. Speaking of the Prado, sales are stronger than ever in the GCC. I actually think it surpassed LC200 sales last year. It really has no competitor in its class, the Pajero is too outdated. I have been seeing a few updated GX's on the road and i must say, i hated how it looked in the pictures but in real life the front end doesn't look bad at all.

Quick Reply: New interior colors for the Lexus LX and Land Cruiser