Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by f4mula1
Now we will have to upgrade our cars every 6 months.
If it was just firmware updates that would be no problem. But the more extensive the programming gets, the more powerful processors to run these infotaiment systems will be needed, and I doubt it's like adding more memory/faster chip like your pc
Old 03-06-14, 01:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Its all about familiarity and cohesiveness. The one thing most people hate about a new car is to learn the new system, buttons, features, and ESPECIALLY the infotainment system.

Most mainstream consumers will appreciate this, you have to see it from a MASS MARKET perspective, there is a reason Volvo, Mercedes, Ferrari, ETC... are adopting the carplay system. All of the auto manufacturers combined spends tens of millions of dollars on market research and focus groups, they know what they are doing and why they are doing it.
Agreed and i think its nice that Apple use its tried and true icon approach in Carplay. It's an efficient UI and way better than any OEM...Apple probably spends way more in understanding good UI than all auto OEMS put together.
Old 03-07-14, 12:28 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple is bringing your iPhone software into your car with its new CarPlay technology. It allows drivers to access apps for maps, music and messaging on a dashboard display.
Old 03-13-14, 02:43 PM
Sfrt
Driver

An update posted on Toyota's UK blog today implies a more neutral stance on implementation timing:
http://m.cnet.com/news/toyota-apple-...ually/57620260
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/apple-carpl...oyota-near-you
Old 03-13-14, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfrt
An update posted on Toyota's UK blog today implies a more neutral stance on implementation timing:
http://m.cnet.com/news/toyota-apple-...ually/57620260
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/apple-carpl...oyota-near-you
not really, they just dont want you to wait to buy their car.
Old 04-07-14, 06:07 PM
Hoovey689

Default Microsoft gets on board to compete

Old 04-08-14, 01:19 PM
jsanders
Driver

no thanks, I simply don't trust Apple

I would hate for them to gimp my car somehow and force me to upgrade every couple years...maybe Tesla will try this?
Old 04-11-14, 10:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Mobile in the car: The Apple CarPlay infotainment system connects to the World Wide Web while on the road.
Old 04-11-14, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

omg I want CarPlay
Old 04-14-14, 11:41 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Alpine Planning to Release Aftermarket CarPlay Console This Fall
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/13/...rplay-console/
Car electronics manufacturer Alpine will begin selling a standalone aftermarket console that will support Apple's CarPlay vehicle integration feature, reports Japanese business newspaper Nikkei. Alpine's offering, which will likely be the first aftermarket device to support CarPlay, is said to hit the United States and Europe this year with a cost of around $500 to $700.

While CarPlay will be found in a number of announced and upcoming vehicles from manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, GM, and Honda, the integration of the system into older vehicles has been a topic of much discussion in recent months. Pioneer Electronics expressed interest in implementing CarPlay compatibility with its existing and future products, only to back away from its comments soon after. Other companies, such as Kenwood, have indicated to MacRumors that CarPlay is only being looked at for integration and that adoption is not currently imminent.

Recently, automotive peripheral company Clarion also hinted at the possibility of bringing CarPlay its aftermarket in-dash systems. In an email to MacRumors, the firm noted that it has been working with Apple "from the start" and that it would be further developing its Smart Access in-car infotainment system and CarPlay for different purposes. Ultimately, the company stated that it will support CarPlay in both its aftermarket and OEM products at some point in the future.
Old 04-15-14, 09:45 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Pioneer Brings Apple CarPlay to the Vehicle You Already Own
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...e#.U01feVVkQTN
Firmware Update for Pioneer’s In-dash Car Multimedia Systems to Debut This Summer

Pioneer Corporation today announced one of the first aftermarket in-dash car multimedia systems to provide Apple CarPlayŽ, allowing consumers the ability to upgrade the vehicle they already own to the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhoneŽ in the car. CarPlay compatibility will be available in early summer 2014 via a firmware update to the five 2014 NEX in-dash multimedia receivers.

Utilizing large, in-dash Pioneer LCD displays, CarPlay featuring SiriŽ voice control, gives iPhone users the features while allowing them to stay focused on the road. With CarPlay, consumers with iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5 can use Siri to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, use Apple Maps for navigation and listen to their music, podcasts and iTunes RadioSM. For more information about CarPlay, visit www.apple.com/ios/carplay.

“Pioneer’s years of expertise integrating smartphone connectivity into the automotive environment has provided us the opportunity to be among the first to offer CarPlay to drivers,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “By providing an aftermarket option, Pioneer’s 2014 in-dash multimedia systems give many iPhone owners the ability to add CarPlay to their current vehicles.”

In addition to a host of on-board navigation and embedded entertainment options, Pioneer’s 2014 in-dash multimedia systems boast a more advanced and responsive user interface than previous Pioneer in-dash receivers as well as many sound quality, convenience and safety enhancements.

For more information regarding CarPlay compatible product, visit www.pioneer-carglobal.com/CarPlay.

Pricing and Availability

The AVIC-8000NEX ($1400 SRP), AVIC-7000NEX ($1200 SRP), AVIC-6000NEX ($900 SRP), AVIC-5000NEX ($750 SRP) and AVH-4000NEX ($700 SRP) are currently available at authorized Pioneer Car Electronics dealers nationwide, including Best Buy, Crutchfield and Car Toys. To find the nearest Pioneer retailer, visit the Dealer Locator.

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets.

NOTE: Read the operation manual as well as all instructions and cautions provided with compatible smartphone apps before use. Become familiar with any applicable state and local laws. Pay attention to the road, limit glances to the device, and do not use any feature if it cannot be operated safely in your location and environment. Distracted driving may result in serious injury, including death.

Apple, the Apple logo, the CarPlay logo, iPhone, and Siri are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

Old 04-15-14, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689

Haha I'm getting so excited for this!
Old 04-18-14, 01:29 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

From the front seat of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata, we take another look at Apple's CarPlay smartphone integration tech.
Old 04-19-14, 10:37 AM
tkelly
Driver School Candidate

My take is Lexus should get what they have working (like Enform) correctly since that is what they are touting. I just purchased my first Lexus vehicle, a 2015 RX 350 and am so disappointed in the reliability of the technology . Enform app drains by iPhone5 app battery at a alarming rate, Enform connects about 50% of the time, iHeart doesn't have all the local stations I can get on the iHeart iPhone app, eDestinations is useless as I cannot enter destinations on Lexus website. Apple Carplay has disaster written all over it! I hope most of my problems are temporary as today I feel I should have stayed with GM vehicles, at least their stuff worked. :-(
Old 04-19-14, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by tkelly
My take is Lexus should get what they have working (like Enform) correctly since that is what they are touting. I just purchased my first Lexus vehicle, a 2015 RX 350 and am so disappointed in the reliability of the technology . Enform app drains by iPhone5 app battery at a alarming rate, Enform connects about 50% of the time, iHeart doesn't have all the local stations I can get on the iHeart iPhone app, eDestinations is useless as I cannot enter destinations on Lexus website. Apple Carplay has disaster written all over it! I hope most of my problems are temporary as today I feel I should have stayed with GM vehicles, at least their stuff worked. :-(
The Enform App is very buggy though it does work decently when functional. Did you think it was an accident the App is rated 2 stars?! The issue is not with Lexus Vehicles, but rather the Application itself. CarPlay being such a universal system is an excellent way to go if Automakers back it up

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay