Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The reality of hitting 200k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
Agreed. Owning a MB or BMW out of warranty can be an expensive lesson.
Not as many issues with a Lexus.
this is one of the reasons they lose value more when they age. Nobody ( very few) will be looking for 10 yr old Benzs and bimmers. Its just a riskier proposition . Used Japanese cars are a safer bet
Old 07-04-14, 09:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would add Cadillac to that too.
Old 07-05-14, 03:54 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche 911 991 issues
Nick Murray

(NWS language)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-05-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

holy crap good for him for shaming porsche into doing the right thing. not sure what it's doing in this thread though.
Old 07-05-14, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would add Cadillac to that too.
Cadillac, though, has a significant warranty advantage over both MB and BMW (and Audi, for that matter). The Germans only warranty their cars for 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper, including the expensive drive-train components (where most of the big money is spent in repairs). Cadillac (and Buick, too) gives you the basic 4/50 and tosses in a 6/70 for the drivetrain, just like with Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura.
Old 07-05-14, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
this is one of the reasons they lose value more when they age. Nobody ( very few) will be looking for 10 yr old Benzs and bimmers. Its just a riskier proposition . Used Japanese cars are a safer bet
The Japanese brands (and Cadillac) also have better warranties....as I just pointed out above.
Old 07-05-14, 12:22 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my uncle has a 03 explorer with 250k on it and its still going 0_o
Old 07-06-14, 10:20 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say if you stick with a NA car with a manual transmission or traditional auto you should be fine.

I don't think the cars with Turbos, superchargers, electric, hybrid, or CVT transmissions will be hitting the 200k mark that those NA Japanese car can do without blinking an eye.
Old 07-06-14, 10:22 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...-200000-miles/
Old 07-06-14, 11:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
I don't think the cars with Turbos, superchargers, electric, hybrid, or CVT transmissions will be hitting the 200k mark tha. those NA Japanese car can do without blinking an eye.
What? Seriously? Why?

Hybrids can last a very long time.

CVTs have been around for a long time and technically CtV have less parts and no gears so they should last longer ,

Toyota has made turbos before.

GM experimented with supercharged engines in the 90s and their large pickups have turbos.

And, if anyone ever tells you that a CTV can't handle V6, V8 or high torque outputs, tell em' to stick it as they are FOS. The Maxima has a CTV and the LS600h with close to 400 ft lbs of torque has a CVT as well
Old 07-07-14, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hybrids can last a very long time. [
Correct. Most gas/electric hybrids, in Consumer Reports, have better-than-average repair records, even in otherwise unreliable vehicles in their pure gas form. It is sometimes unclear why, though, with the added complexity. In the early days, Ford used Toyota-sourced hybrid components under license (which would help explain the reliability), but these days, there is a wider source of components.

CVTs have been around for a long time and technically CtV have less parts and no gears so they should last longer
The simplicity does make for fewer potential parts-failures, but the drive belt and its groove-channels (in pre-programmed CVTs) have been the typical weak points because they take most of the stress of the transmission's actual use. That's why the materials used for the belt (and their durability) are critical.

Toyota has made turbos before.
Most manufacturers, in the past, used either Mitsubishi or Garrett turbos, but that is now changing. Toyota did produce some of their own, but I don't remember the specific years.

GM experimented with supercharged engines in the 90s and their large pickups have turbos.
Actually goes back a lot further then that. GM produced turbo and supercharged Corvairs and Oldsmobiles back in the early 1960s.

(I certainly won't defend the early Corvairs, though....they had many well-known mechanical and safety problems. Most of what Ralph Nader said about them was correct).

And, if anyone ever tells you that a CTV can't handle V6, V8 or high torque outputs, tell em' to stick it as they are FOS. The Maxima has a CTV and the LS600h with close to 400 ft lbs of torque has a CVT as well
It's true that today's CVTs are considerably more suited to higher torque than those of years ago. CVTs first started out on small in-line fours and, only over time, slowly spread to V6s. But the CVT, by the very nature of its design, puts a lot of stress on the drive belt (as I mentioned above), and when they were first combined with V6s (as with Nissan), durability problems started to creep up. Nissan had to extend the warranty on a number of its CVT's (Subaru used CVTs from the same supplier at the time). Now, as you indicate, most of the durability problems are gone, but they still won't necessarily last as long as a well-designed conventional torque-converter automatic...it depends partly on how hard the car is driven. For that reason, you don't often see CVTs in purpose-designed high-performance cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, you have nothing backing up your claim that a CVT won't last as long as a conventional.

Keep in mind that the combined torque of the 600h is higher than that of even the Tundra .
Old 07-07-14, 08:24 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i don't trust german cars with too many damn gizmos. and there are lots of them out there.

but back in the day cars like this was built like a tank.

so IMO, it's not even about their ability to make reliable cars. to me it's always about trying to do too much.

simple always wins, but i guess it's hard to make something simple. they always to try to one up each other.
Old 07-07-14, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, you have nothing backing up your claim that a CVT won't last as long as a conventional.

Keep in mind that the combined torque of the 600h is higher than that of even the Tundra .
I didn't necessarily say it wouldn't last as long. I said there were several factors that would determine that. And I stand by that statement....I'm not changing it.
Old 07-07-14, 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall , somewhere in another thread you said something along the lines that a CVT can't handle high torque (I can't find it now). The LS600h is high torque IMO.

Quick Reply: The reality of hitting 200k miles...