Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 04:39 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a second I thought this was current gen A4.

Its neat for what it is.

Goin off topic here but the pricing strikes me in a nostalgic fashion. Just ten years ago pricing like this would get you base trim of top of the line entry luxury car such as 3 series, A4, IS or G.
Old 03-11-14, 07:08 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interior is ****...
Old 03-11-14, 10:17 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Its a cute little car. That said, too cute for me. A black S3 would be the only way I could pick one up, but even then I'm not looking to downsize in the future.
Every Audi has nearly the exact same headroom in the driver's seat; only shoulder room contrasts them. I'd expect this to be the same, therefore, likely a bit roomier to drive than the 2IS.

However, too small is too small, and both the S3 and 2IS might as well have the same rear leg room.
Old 03-11-14, 10:23 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It is a average based Audi vehicle competition being the CLA .

Personally I think it will do great as more people want a nice sized vehicle but not to large either.

I would go with Phantom Black or Ibis white
Old 03-11-14, 10:41 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Audi's player in the rapidly expanding entry-luxury segment is the sub-$30,000 A3 sedan. Both sporty and welcoming the 2015 A3 is small but it's also a solid value and a pleasure to live with. In this video KBB's Micah Muzio gives a full review of the Audi A3 sedan.
The 2015 Audi A3 is all new and so far only available as a sedan in the United States. While in the U.S. it maybe Audi's least expensive model Audi says that it still has much of the same technology as you can find in the range topping Audi A8. In another accurate, fun and informative first drive review, Nathan and Roman find out just how fast and fun to drive the newest 2014 Audi A3 is on the Pacific Coast Highway near San Francisco.
Old 03-11-14, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Every Audi has nearly the exact same headroom in the driver's seat; only shoulder room contrasts them. I'd expect this to be the same, therefore, likely a bit roomier to drive than the 2IS.

However, too small is too small, and both the S3 and 2IS might as well have the same rear leg room.
Sad thing is the 2IS is a full 5" longer than the S3 (175").
Old 03-11-14, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

Default Attention all hipsters: Audi wants to sell you a car

Attention all hipsters: Audi wants to sell you a car

As we reported today, Audi of America wants all of its roughly 280 U.S. dealerships to throw parties on the night of April 3 to celebrate the A3, the entry-level sedan that arrives in U.S. dealerships this month after years of preparations, and which Audi sees as a way to win the hearts of a new generation of luxury buyers.

Audi has sent its dealers an elaborate, 64-page guide to planning the parties, which are meant for people between their mid-20s and early 40s. And the guide, obtained by Automotive News (click here to download the PDF), makes clear that Audi is targeting hipsters, those indie-music and craft-beer fans from Brooklyn, Austin and Portland.

Audi’s guide never uses the word “hipster,” which carries a whole lot of baggage.

And yet, contained in the guide’s 64 pages are so many hipster stereotypes -- bacon doughnuts, unfiltered craft beer, up-and-coming bands like Chvrches -- that it feels like something out of the TV show “Portlandia.”

“To establish Audi as a lifestyle brand, we need to create a lifestyle experience,” the guide says. “Every facet of the launch event, from cutting-edge music to gourmet food to minimalist décor, should … be uniquely tailored to this discerning demographic.”

As a young city dweller, I think I’m part of the exact group Audi is targeting. Not only do I own the Chvrches album, I own it on vinyl, like any self-respecting hipster should. You won’t find any Bud Light in my fridge; you’ll find craft beers from small, independent breweries. The weirder the better.

Audi’s marketers have done a bang-up job of figuring out what my peer group likes, but seeing us fetishized as a demographic feels a little disturbing.

Just take a look at the party plan:

“The music needs to demonstrate an obvious cool-factor, and create the kind of hip, nighttime, uncompromised ambiance that no other competitor can deliver.” (Page 32)

“This target audience likely shops local, supports local businesses, and buys organic. This is something to factor into your decisions regarding food and drink.” (Page 42)

Audi asked dealers to “play to the current trend of unfiltered wines and beers,” preferably from boutique brands like Evil Twin Brewing, a Copenhagen-based “gypsy brewery” (whatever that means) with an outpost in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

As for food, Audi suggests dealers “consider partnering with a ‘niche,’ farm-to-table type restaurant” to serve haute comfort food. Suggested menu items include: portobello mushroom cannoli, bacon-wrapped dates, shrimp lollipops with Thai chili sauce, dark chocolate grilled cheese and bacon doughnuts.

No sellouts invited

Audi’s slogan for the A3 is “stay uncompromised.” Audi is trying to stress that its new entry-level model, starting at just above $30,000, is a no-compromises luxury car. But another reason for the slogan is to resonate with “a generation that refuses to settle or sell out,” as the party plan puts it.

Does refusing to sell out mean going to a market-researched, corporate-sponsored party, and then buying an Audi?

Ask any marketer, and they’ll tell you hipsters like craft beer, farm-to-table food and independent music precisely because they are not corporate. They feel more authentic than some commodity shipped around the world.

With this sort of marketing, Audi runs the risk of being seen as pandering to a generation that is cynical about being sold anything by multinational conglomerate, no matter how wonderful the product is.

Then again, maybe this anti-corporate mentality is an air that hipsters put on to tell the world “this is who I am.” Maybe it’s not that different from buying a luxury car.

Audi has instructed its dealers how to throw the perfect party to celebrate the launch of the A3. Music from recommended artists include: Chvrches, Grimes, Phantogram, Empire of the Sun, M83, Capital Cities, Cut Copy and DJ Classixx.

Young people don’t buy luxury cars

You might be thinking there’s another hole in this marketing plan: Hipsters don’t buy luxury cars. Their parents do.

In general, you’re right, even for the smallest, most affordable models in the luxury market. The average buyer of Audi’s A4 sedan is 48, compared with 51 for the Lexus IS, 55 for the BMW 3 series and 58 for the Mercedes-Benz C class. Chances are, if one of these buyers has a beard and eyeglasses, it’s not the ironic, trendy Brooklyn kind.

Sure, a few twenty-somethings will buy the A3, but most of them can’t afford it, or they will save a few bucks and get something else. Audi’s marketers are really hoping these hipsters will dream of owning an Audi when they get older, just as their grandparents might have aspired to possess a big ol’ Cadillac.

"When they get there, Audi wants to be ready for them,” says Ed Kim, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific. “They’re very, very well aware of the fact that they need to attract the next generation of buyers.”

That’s what makes Audi’s party plan so fascinating. It is an unusually honest look inside the minds of automotive marketers, whose job is not just to sell cars today, but to embed a brand in the minds of the young so it lies dormant until they have money.

Lifestyle brand

Audi of America has adhered to that formula with particular devotion under Scott Keogh, the former marketing chief who took over as president in 2012. When I spoke to Keogh at the Detroit auto show, he was gearing up for the A3 launch.

I asked him what Audi had learned from the fall launch of the Mercedes-Benz CLA, the A3’s archrival in the entry-level luxury segment. He cited a news report saying 75 percent of CLA buyers were first-time Mercedes customers. That’s what excited him.

“The thing they’ve done well is, they’ve brought a lot of new buyers in,” Keogh said. “We anticipate the exact same thing.”

Most of the Audi dealers that I’ve spoken to about the A3 are strong believers. They are doing their best to follow Audi’s party directive, even if it means leaving their comfort zone to cater to a new clientele.

“We’ll do the program exactly how they said,” says Blake Strong, who has an Audi store in Salt Lake City, not far from the University of Utah campus. “Here’s the bottom line: I have a lot of trust in Scott Keogh, and I’ve learned that he knows what he’s doing. He does his homework.”

Time will tell whether the A3 is a hit or miss with the hipster crowd, and whether this marketing strategy creates a generation of Audi lovers.

But since I’m part of the target demographic, I imagine I’ll have an easy time figuring out if it’s working. A few months from now, I’ll throw a party. I’ll pause the chillwave playing on the stereo, put down my craft beer, set aside the bacon doughnuts, and ask my friends: “So, what do you think of Audi?”
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ell-you-a-car#
Old 03-11-14, 02:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
It is a average based Audi vehicle competition being the CLA .

Personally I think it will do great as more people want a nice sized vehicle but not to large either.

I would go with Phantom Black or Ibis white
Oddly, Ibis White isn't listed as a U.S. color for the A3. Stuck with Glacier White Pearl.
Old 03-11-14, 02:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sad thing is the 2IS is a full 5" longer than the S3 (175").
Corolla probably has double the leg room in the back compared to 2IS :-)

But I suspect that the driver position is vastly different. Measurements tell only half the story. In 2IS, driver sits like a king.
Old 03-11-14, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
Corolla probably has double the leg room in the back compared to 2IS :-)

But I suspect that the driver position is vastly different. Measurements tell only half the story. In 2IS, driver sits like a king.
Corolla strikes me as a more upright driving position than lower slung 2IS
Old 03-12-14, 01:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Audi And AT&T Reveal 4G LTE Prices For 2015 A3

Audi of America and AT&T announced prices of the data plans for their in-vehicle 4G LTE data connection.

Available in the new 2015 A3 sedan, which debuts this month, both companies will enable the first-ever in-vehicle 4G LTE data connection in North America.

Audi stated the data plans will be competitively priced, starting at $99 for a 6-month plan and $499 for a 30-month plan.

“Having the choice of two data plans gives the consumer the opportunity to choose a contract that works best for their lifestyle and allows them to maintain connectivity in the vehicle for an extended period of time,” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “The new AT&T data plans with 4G LTE connectivity will allow Audi drivers to enjoy seamless navigation, streaming and high-speed access to the Internet.”

Audi and AT&T added they will offer two limited data plans: a 6-month plan with 5 Gigabytes of data and a 30- month plan with 30 GB.

All Audi A3 sedans equipped with Audi connect will receive a free six-month trial period.

Audi said previous experience with 3G+ Audi connect owners has shown they prefer either a 6-month or a 30-month term, which are designed to accommodate the consumer’s typical usage. The plans are based off typical usage in a vehicle. Customers can be sent e-mail alerts if they near the data plan limit.

We already see the request coming for unlimited data plans.

As previously announced by AT&T, this summer Audi will become the first automaker to offer a Mobile Share data plan option to AT&T wireless customers who would like to add their vehicle to their existing Mobile Share plan.

Audi explained it plans to roll out 4G LTE capability across its entire lineup as new or refreshed models come to market.

The new A3 family is said to feature the newest version of Audi connect, including picture navigation, read-aloud news headlines, Facebook and Twitter alerts, access to more than 7,000 Web radio stations, personalized RSS news feeds.

Audi added an accompanying mobile app will allow advanced functionality between the MMI system and smartphones, reducing the need for Audi motorists to handle their devices when accessing some smartphone-based features.
http://www.hybridcars.com/audi-and-a...s-for-2015-a3/
Old 03-12-14, 01:45 PM
Hoovey689

Oh boy, this connectivity sounds like it could be a PITA when things stop working. Go to AT&T they say oh no it's not our service its the car. Go to the Audi dealership, they say oh no it's not the car it's the service
Old 03-12-14, 05:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

^^^ i don't see how that's any different than a phone on at&t and going to either the phone vendor or the carrier.
Old 03-12-14, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only way this new 4G LTE thing would be good is if it were free. We already pay for data with our cell phones. Make the car pick it up off of those. Otherwise, it's like double-paying for a connection when driving.
Old 03-12-14, 10:40 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
absolutely nothing 'luxurious' or upscale about this.

looks TERRIBLE. hell an elantra or corolla looks better in and out.
^^ This ^^

Originally Posted by Vladi
For a second I thought this was current gen A4.
They all look alike to me (Audis, that is) - One sausage, different lengths. I think they have the most boring exterior designs of any luxury make. People mock Hyundai and Kia for putting out luxury vehicles under non-luxury brand umbrellas, but their designs, whether derivative or not, are leaps and bounds better than anything coming from this brand. Some of their interiors are nice though.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Audi A3