Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would the Prius still be Successful if..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 01:05 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Would the Prius still be Successful if..

The Prius despite its controversial styling is a smash hit, and considered a leader in Hybrid Technology and one of the most efficient vehicles on the market today.

The question then is would Toyota be experiencing the same level of success up to this point had they used the powerful Corolla moniker rather Prius i.e. a Corolla Hybrid? (Consider all Prius past and present to be the same albeit with the Corolla name)

Discuss!
Old 03-11-14, 01:42 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Regardless of the name, Toyota could have called it the TRD Poseurmobile, and it would still be just as popular. It hit the market at just the right time with the proper mix of interior room, performance, pricing (the tax rebates didn't hurt), and hype (which it lived up to). Much like a man will forego a prettier woman for one that keeps him mentally engaged, the buying public cast a blind eye towards the butt-ugly styling and embraced all of the other aspects of the platform. Just as importantly it was embraced by those with a high profile status and thus became the "it" car to have. Your average Jane and Joe could actually afford the exact same vehicle that they saw their favorite celebrity driving, and save at the pump to boot. As the popularity grew, the demand outpaced the supply. This further stoked the fire as the general mentality of the common mouth breather believes that if it's hard to get and "everyone" wants one, then it must be good and they need one too. Fortunately Toyota was (and still is) building a great product. Then they got a boost due to the steady increase in gas prices, with "record highs" one week becoming the new normal the following. This solidified their position, and everyone else was relegated to second fiddle. Toyota embraced it wholeheartedly by catering to every denomination - Eco friendly, Technological advancement, Fiscally responsible, blah blah blah Prius does it all, come pay homage at the altar of Toyota, and be sure to tell your friends.
Old 03-11-14, 02:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Prius despite its controversial styling is a smash hit, and considered a leader in Hybrid Technology and one of the most efficient vehicles on the market today.

The question then is would Toyota be experiencing the same level of success up to this point had they used the powerful Corolla moniker rather Prius i.e. a Corolla Hybrid? (Consider all Prius past and present to be the same albeit with the Corolla name)

Discuss!
well, there are Corolla Hybrid in Japan and Auris Hybrid in Europe now.

They are pretty different than Prius though.

In Japan, with introduction of Corolla Hybrid, Toyota trippled their Corolla sales while Prius sales are about the same... to me, that shows different customers and might lead to even more futuristic Prius in the future.
Old 03-11-14, 08:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was badged a Corolla, I doubt that it would have made a huge statement.

The Prius was revolutionary. It had it's own philosophy and purpose. It was unlike any car on the road at the time.

It could have been it's own brand, much less an independent model when compared to the Corolla. For example, would Tesla be such a revolutionary brand if it was badged as an all-electric Lexus GS? An all-electric MB CLS?

No, the Corolla nameplate is inappropriate. The Prius was a brand new species of car.
Old 03-11-14, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know. Would they have kept its unique shape? or would they have simply kept it a Corolla sedan hybrid? One could argue that if it was a Corolla sedan, it wouldn't have been as groundbreaking as the unique design and shape is what allows the aerodynamics achieve that high MPG number.

I agree with Philip that people wanted to make a statement and stand out with the initial Prius generations. There's a reason why the Prius is currently the most traded in car on the Tesla Model S. The Prius was THE symbol and brand for people who wanted to make a statement about the way they drove and the life they saw themselves as leading, even wealthy people (who are now trading for a eco symbol that also happens to be a more fitting luxury and performance vehicle).
Old 03-11-14, 09:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Key differentiator is that Prius = 100% HYBRID (i.e. there is NO VEHICLE in the Prius family that is non-hybrid)

Corolla Hybrid and Auris Hybrid, on the other hand, are hybrid variants of existing product lines that are not dedicated to hybrid vehicles.
Old 03-11-14, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know. Would they have kept its unique shape? or would they have simply kept it a Corolla sedan hybrid? One could argue that if it was a Corolla sedan, it wouldn't have been as groundbreaking as the unique design and shape is what allows the aerodynamics achieve that high MPG number.
Not at most legal American speeds, though some states have recently raised rural Interstate speed limits. But, in general, aerodynamics make more of a difference on the non-speed-limit sections of the German Autobahn. In addition, most hybrids, because of the unique way their drivetrains operate, get better mileage in stop/go city driving than they do Interstate-cruising.

There's a reason why the Prius is currently the most traded in car on the Tesla Model S. The Prius was THE symbol and brand for people who wanted to make a statement about the way they drove and the life they saw themselves as leading, even wealthy people (who are now trading for a eco symbol that also happens to be a more fitting luxury and performance vehicle).
Actually, just one more classic case of people who have more disposable income to spend than common sense. They Gotta keep up with the Jones's, even if it costs a fortune to play.
Old 03-11-14, 10:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, a Corolla hybrid would never have been as successful as the Prius brand. "Prius" is synonymous with hybrid to the general public. Branding is very important just as we have discussed in another thread why most people won't pay $60K for the KIA K900. Even though it's a bargain compared to the competition.

Yes, a lot of people want a hybrid that is a unique car, not a version of another car. Look at the Camry Hybrid's sales compared to the Prius. Most would consider the Camry Hybrid a better overall package, although not as efficient. But it's bigger, more comfortable, drives better, looks better, isn't much more expensive, ....Yet it only sells a fraction as many as the Prius.

This is also why the US got the Prius C instead of the Yaris Hybrid. A Yaris Hybrid wouldn't have sold nearly as well as the Prius C even if the MPG was identical.
Old 03-11-14, 10:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not at most legal American speeds, though some states have recently raised rural Interstate speed limits. But, in general, aerodynamics make more of a difference on the non-speed-limit sections of the German Autobahn. In addition, most hybrids, because of the unique way their drivetrains operate, get better mileage in stop/go city driving than they do Interstate-cruising.

Actually, just one more classic case of people who have more disposable income to spend than common sense. They Gotta keep up with the Jones's, even if it costs a fortune to play.
Aerodynamics play a large factor for fuel efficiency at any speed. Not just at speed on a highway. I've been involved in plenty of vehicle wind tunnel and efficiency testing meetings to know. Drag on the car is bad for efficiency and emissions, Another reason you'll start seeing more tonneau covers on pickup trucks from the factory. And you see lower air dams on nearly every car on the market today.

Prius to Tesla is yes partially due to keeping up with the Jones's, but also because they can now have a luxury car that still makes that eco-statement and they don't have to deal with the econobox interior and materials of the Prius.
Old 03-11-14, 11:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I also agree with Mike, the vast majority of the power required to move a car at highway speeds is spent on moving air around it. Aerodynamics are the key to this, meaning the car would look out of place in the Camry/Corolla lineup. Also severing the model from existing offerings allowed Toyota to strike out in a new and unexplored market direction. Eco-snobs don't have to drive a Toyota, they can drive a Prius! OK, it's a bit weird with grocery cart wheels and the instrument binnacle located at the top of the center stack, but weird sells cars to this demo. Note the late Saab.

There was an additional benefit to isolating their new hybrid behind a new nameplate: in the event of failure, it could be dropped quickly with minimal effect on existing lines. The worst thing that could happen is that your signature lines catch fire on the freeway. Thankfully that didn't happen, but it's a good idea to insulate your bread-and-butter products from your "experimental" models.
Old 03-11-14, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree with Philip that people wanted to make a statement and stand out with the initial Prius generations. There's a reason why the Prius is currently the most traded in car on the Tesla Model S. The Prius was THE symbol and brand for people who wanted to make a statement about the way they drove and the life they saw themselves as leading, even wealthy people (who are now trading for a eco symbol that also happens to be a more fitting luxury and performance vehicle).

Discuss!
Yeah, just imagine these but simply with the Corolla moniker when answering

Old 03-11-14, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Discuss!
no way! toyota needed to make a 'dent' in the consciousness of the buying public, to say 'this is different', and in particular attract people who also wanted to make a statement and proclaim their being different. so by making a pretty radical shape and package, they accomplished their goal, and people 'wore' the prius like a badge of slow-left-lane-bandit honor and environ-smugness, that was helped by celebrities getting into it.

if it had been launched as a corolla variant, none of that would have happened as it wouldn't have had the "look at me, i'm saving the planet" cache.

of course that cuts two ways... while i respect the marketing strategy a lot, once i actually drove a prius i was ready to throw up and wouldn't be caught dead in one.
Old 03-11-14, 11:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree that it wouldn't have succeeded. At least not like it has. Is definitely not something i would buy though. And anytime i see one blocking the left lane, i want to ram the self righteous jerk.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup