Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best used SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 06:30 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LX470 is like the 4WD version of the LS, by that i mean the build quality, refinement, reliability is second to none and it would definitely put many SUVs today to shame. I think it would be much more special to own than an RX which i see more an ES equivalent if you know what i mean. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you can get the LX, don't hesitate. It is truly something else....

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 03-16-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, I'll take your word for it. After all, you work at a Ford dealership, right? I just didn't remember the 2Gen Explorer being in production that long.....but, at my age, it's getting more difficult to remember all the little details about some products from decades ago, though I still remember a lot of stuff.

Still, all things considered, I'm surprised that Ford left the ancient Twin-I-Beam front end on their production trucks and SUVs for so long (it actually dated back to 1964). From what I read, the engineers wanted to redesign it sooner, but the bean-counters liked the fact that it was simple and inexpensive to produce and install.

From what I knew of the 4.6L V8, though, it was the same block used in the Mustang GT, which, being a then-unusual (for an American design) overhead-cam design, lacked some of the previous 5.0L's low-end torque needed for a truck. It made up for it somewhat, though, at higher RPMs, although there was some controversy over just how much HP it maxed out at in the Mustang Cobra. The only other American-designed OHC V8 I was aware of at that time was the Cadillac Northstar....and it had reliability problems.
Lexus, Acura, BMW and Mini Actually.

Agreed the ancient suspension was a bean counting move, but then they made choices like that throughout their line-up. The Mustang as you know up until now had been manufactured with the solid axle rather than an independent set-up.

Trust me, the 4.0L V6 needs some prodding to get the big girl moving, though I do admit she can make some fun "truck" sounds when gunned. Otherwise the V8 is the one to have. Moreso in 2006 when they upped the hp from 237hp to 292hp and 300lbft. And the mileage difference is virtually nothing.
Old 03-16-14, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,586 Posts

^^^ exactly, that's why i ended up getting my '06 V8 Explorer, because i'd had very positive experience with the '04 F-150 (which is just a bigger version of the same engine).
Old 03-16-14, 03:18 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
The LX470 is like the 4WD version of the LS, by that i mean the build quality, refinement, reliability is second to none and it would definitely put many SUVs today to shame. I think it would be much more special to own than an RX which i see more an ES equivalent if you know what i mean. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you can get the LX, don't hesitate. It is truly something else....
I agree with you. The LX is a fantastic vehicle. Unfortunately the one I saw was too pricey (around $30k) and gets terrible gas mileage (around 12 mpg per the previous owner).
Old 03-16-14, 03:19 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Does anyone know much about the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee? (2011 to present). My wife likes the looks of those the best, but I'm not sold on the quality/reliability of Chrysler. Not sure if things have improved with the newer versions.
Old 03-16-14, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by egs21
Does anyone know much about the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee? (2011 to present). My wife likes the looks of those the best, but I'm not sold on the quality/reliability of Chrysler. Not sure if things have improved with the newer versions.
I did a full-review of one. Very pleasant to drive, light-years ahead of older generations on road manners, ride, sound insulation, powertrain refinement, and quality of most of the interior trim, although a few pieces of the old Chrysler cheapness remain with some of the switches inside. And, unfortunately, as you suspect, reliability has not improved as much over the old ones as we'd like to see....Consumer Reports still shows overall reliability worse then average.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus, Acura, BMW and Mini Actually.
???? I'm not quite sure what you are refering to here. I was talking about American-designed OHC V8s of that period....primarily the Ford 4.6L and Cadillac Northstar.

The Mustang as you know up until now had been manufactured with the solid axle rather than an independent set-up.
With the Mustang, although a solid-axle is obviously cheaper to produce and install then an IRS, I'm not sure that, this time, it actually was the bean-counters. Ford knows that the Mustang GT is bought and driven by a lot of immature young kids that like to drag race and do burnouts. The solid beam axle is more resistant to damage from this type of abuse (and will probably result in fewer warranty repairs, even though technically, drag-racing is not covered by warranty) than the typical IRS with its more complex suspension/drive shaft/U-Joint system.

Anyhow, with the 2015 Mustang (earlier for Shelby and Cobra models), Ford bowed to competition from the IRS-equipped Camaro, which was done on a GM world-platform, and the IRS-equipped Challenger, which, like the 300/Charger, was done on a modified E-Class Mercedes platform. All 2015 Mustangs will have IRS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-14 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

???? I'm not quite sure what you are refering to here. I was talking about American-designed OHC V8s of that period....primarily the Ford 4.6L and Cadillac Northstar.

The Mustang as you know up until now had been manufactured with the solid axle rather than an independent set-up.

With the Mustang, although a solid-axle is obviously cheaper to produce and install then an IRS, I'm not sure that, this time, it actually was the bean-counters. Ford knows that the Mustang GT is bought and driven by a lot of immature young kids that like to drag race and do burnouts. The solid beam axle is more resistant to damage from this type of abuse (and will probably result in fewer warranty repairs, even though technically, drag-racing is not covered by warranty) than the typical IRS with its more complex suspension/drive shaft/U-Joint system.
I was answering your question "you work at a ford dealer right?". Answer no, I work at the 4 stores I listed.

There was an article awhile back saying how IRS was only a few dollars more or something but they decided to stick with Solid axle was my point. I'll have to google later, at work right now.
Old 03-16-14, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was answering your question "you work at a ford dealer right?". Answer no, I work at the 4 stores I listed.
Yep...answered my question. Thanks.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
The Toyota Land Cruiser, if one can find a good used example, is essentially the same vehicle as the LX470, minus a few features on the LX like the trick raise/drop suspension/ride-height and the richer leather/wood inside. I did a full-review on a Land Cruiser several years ago, and was VERY impressed with it. It had excellent build quality and rode/drove almost like a luxury car. Of course, even though it doesn't cost quite as much as an LX, it is still a pricey vehicle, more so than any other any American-market Toyota.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 07:15 PM
egs21
Pole Position

I did a full-review of one. Very pleasant to drive, light-years ahead of older generations on road manners, ride, sound insulation, powertrain refinement, and quality of most of the interior trim, although a few pieces of the old Chrysler cheapness remain with some of the switches inside. And, unfortunately, as you suspect, reliability has not improved as much over the old ones as we'd like to see....Consumer Reports still shows overall reliability worse then average.
Thanks. If I can't talk the wife out of it, we may have to get a CPO version so we have a warranty.