Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Whitigir - Please do not call people DUMB.

Electronic gremlins do exist, and I can and never will never rule out that one did not exist in the Toyota/Lexus electronics. It requires a multitude of signals and situations coming together to reproduce that event. That is why there are software updates routinely applied to PC, Macs, Unix, Linux, iphones, androids, win8p, etc.
Aliens exist too. Prove me wrong please.

As to comparing cars to PC, thats just pure lack of understanding of how these systems work.
Old 03-22-14, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and it looks like gm were even more negligent, but we'll see if mr. holder holds them to the same standard
Yes, but that was the old GM, before the buyout and reorganization.......yes, the same bunch of bozos that, IMO, ruined both Saturn and Pontiac. Both Marry Barra and, to an extent, her immediate predecessor (Dan Atkinson) have been a breath of fresh air in an overly-stale organization. Bob Lutz tried to be, but, because of the ingrained culture there, was only moderately successful.,
Old 03-22-14, 02:01 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

GM pissed on decency and the American flag by the way it conducted itself by mismanaging it's affairs and then fleecing the taxpayer. A critical reason that I'm in a Ford right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-22-14, 02:59 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Aliens exist too. Prove me wrong please.

As to comparing cars to PC, thats just pure lack of understanding of how these systems work.
I would love to see Aliens as I believe they exist too. And you are correct

I just don't know why everybody keep chasing Toyota back, while they did the best they could to satisfy people
Old 03-22-14, 04:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
My appologies, didnt mean to call people dumb, just the mistake...but edited

Irrelevant examples, those operation systems need constant updates because people constantly hack into it. People do not hack into car systems constantly.

Beside, if Electric Gimmicks were allowed to slip by NASA Engineering teams, then we, the American could never be so great at Space technology and Explorations.

I saw what China did to the moon, and that was what I called Electrical Gimmicks.

The whole world has nothing else than NASA to look upon in space technology.....and space technology from NASA are several centuries a head of anything else...a little exaggeration here

It is so easy to say "Hey, things happen." How about you prove it ? I don't believe there are any others better than NASA is to do the investigation job on technologies. If you can tell me one, I would shut up
Updates are not required just because of hackers. Those are only security updates. Evidently you have very little if any background in software programming. There are many situations that arise where the program goes into a recursive loop or pickups the wrong signal and treats it as the right signal. For example, the input for brakes under a very specific situation could have been interpreted by the software as the acceleration signal. Or in the worst case, it is stuck in a loop and the slight gas pedal input to increase the speed by the driver to cross the yellow light is played in a loop and it will keep adding upon the previous signal. In effect, the input for a 2 mph speed increase is then 4, then 8, then 16, and so on. I hope you get the point.

Have you ever driven remote/radio control cars? Can you tell me what happens when the car is beyond the range of your controller?
The obvious answer is: The car will come to a stop. But does it really? Is it that simple?
For example in the pro series nitro cars, if the batteries of your RC controller dies while the car is running, the car will not stop. It will in fact go out of control and run away at full speed. Sounds familiar. Right?

Last edited by chikoo; 03-22-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
GM pissed on decency and the American flag by the way it conducted itself by mismanaging it's affairs and then fleecing the taxpayer. A critical reason that I'm in a Ford right now.
How were you affected? Were you a GM bondholder that didn't get a full-settlement? Or a GM vehicle owner with defects that the company wouldn't address?

Ford, BTW, has had its share of dissatisfied customers lately, too....especially with the SYNC and MyTouch systems.

In my recent experience reviewing and test-driving new Fords, they seem to make some knockouts, like the Fusion and Mustang, and some real duds, like the majority of newer Lincolns.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 07:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't personally or directly affected by GM's, bailout. But i see that move as incredibly crooked and have no desire to buy their cars.

Sync works fine for me.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 03-23-14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 11:57 AM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@BrettJacks I agree you do not have to be directly affected to stand on principal. I thought old GM was a crappy company that deserved to fail. Due to a certain groups allegiance to the UAW normal bankruptcy protocol and the rule of law was ignored, which unfortunately was just a precursor for the following 8 years.
Old 03-23-14, 12:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssigs4
@BrettJacks I agree you do not have to be directly affected to stand on principal. I thought old GM was a crappy company that deserved to fail. Due to a certain groups allegiance to the UAW normal bankruptcy protocol and the rule of law was ignored, which unfortunately was just a precursor for the following 8 years.
Yup. It was downright dishonest. Nothing moral about it at all.

The only GM products that I will own are the classic F-bodies. Nothing new from them.

Old 03-23-14, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
Updates are not required just because of hackers. Those are only security updates. Evidently you have very little if any background in software programming. There are many situations that arise where the program goes into a recursive loop or pickups the wrong signal and treats it as the right signal. For example, the input for brakes under a very specific situation could have been interpreted by the software as the acceleration signal. Or in the worst case, it is stuck in a loop and the slight gas pedal input to increase the speed by the driver to cross the yellow light is played in a loop and it will keep adding upon the previous signal. In effect, the input for a 2 mph speed increase is then 4, then 8, then 16, and so on. I hope you get the point.

Have you ever driven remote/radio control cars? Can you tell me what happens when the car is beyond the range of your controller?
The obvious answer is: The car will come to a stop. But does it really? Is it that simple?
For example in the pro series nitro cars, if the batteries of your RC controller dies while the car is running, the car will not stop. It will in fact go out of control and run away at full speed. Sounds familiar. Right?
well, my living is software and I think you probably have no idea about what you are talking about at all.

RC cars and Android phones have nothing to do with electronics that go into cars.

There is nothing magical when it comes to software, bunch of 0's and 1's. If there is an issue with software, then it is going to be replicable... fact that nobody ever found replicable issue means that there simply isnt one.

Besides, recalls and this charge has nothing to do with what you are talking about... they are about hardware issues, not software.
Old 03-23-14, 02:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I would love to see Aliens as I believe they exist too. And you are correct

I just don't know why everybody keep chasing Toyota back, while they did the best they could to satisfy people
well lawyers are chasing them to make money, and government was chasing them to create better position for big 3.

Criminal charge and 1.2 billion settlement is something you can do on every single manufacturer out there, and now. If you check any Ford, Chrysler or GM recall and see how they are recalling cars from 2006-2009 but not 2010 and 2011, because they fixed it in production 4 years ago, thats why they are punishing Toyota, except that Toyota's difference between recall and fix was less than that.
Old 03-23-14, 05:44 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always hatin the best.
Old 03-24-14, 12:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Excellent article from WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...850045676.html

Nhtsa examined 58 Toyota 7203.TO +1.70% vehicles that figured in alleged UA crashes. It found no signs that either throttles or brakes had failed, and typically no data indicating sustained braking at all. Of 40 vehicles with usable "black-box" data on board, one was a floor-mat entrapment case. The agency concluded that it "believes that the most likely cause of the remaining 39 UA incidents was pedal misapplication."
According to the Justice narrative, Toyota carried out its symbolic mat fix on only some models and waited a couple of months to flag other models where freak mat accidents might just as easily happen. Yet there's no good evidence that Toyota's several-million-car mat fix averted even one serious crash, let alone that extending it to a few million other cars slightly earlier would have mattered. The only way to lower this kind of risk all the way to zero—in any vehicle—would be to ban mats altogether or put the pedals somewhere other than on the floor.
Left out of all this is the conclusion reached in the Nhtsa's 2011 report: There was no evidence sticky pedals played a role in any of the accidents. The agency also acknowledges that sticky or otherwise, a gas pedal can be overridden by properly functioning brakes.

Toyota's cars are hardly unsafe. For the 2001-04 model years, for example, Toyota and Lexus accounted for five of the 12 models with the lowest death rates per driver year, and zero of the 12 with the highest. But the company is a multinational whose bottom line depends on a return to good publicity and putting legal troubles behind it in the huge U.S. market.
Old 03-24-14, 02:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

well, my living is software and I think you probably have no idea about what you are talking about at all.

RC cars and Android phones have nothing to do with electronics that go into cars.

There is nothing magical when it comes to software, bunch of 0's and 1's. If there is an issue with software, then it is going to be replicable... fact that nobody ever found replicable issue means that there simply isnt one.

Besides, recalls and this charge has nothing to do with what you are talking about... they are about hardware issues, not software.
Oooooh. I do not wish to pursue this further. If a software person claims that software is not at fault, but user error, he/she must be working the 1st level support desk only, and if not, that is where they should be working.
Old 03-24-14, 02:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

let me also quote some since you are reluctant, nee dismissive of my inputs.

Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge-cfuztz5.png

Name:  0E7O9OX.png
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

Quick Reply: Toyota Motor Company -criminal charge