Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why I'm Never Buying a Lexus Again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hmmm something tells me this is a hoax or troll.
I don't think its either, I think he just feels personally affronted that his "luxury vehicle" that he bought because he thought it would be "the highest quality in every way" had a failure. I think its more being over-dramatic than anything else.

This type of attitude REALLY irks me quite frankly, reeks of over-dramatic self importance. I've had vehicles that have had serious failures, my Jeep's had 28 warranty repairs. Do I join forums and post things, make a video and post it on you tube? No... I realize my experience isn't that important...and I realize that things happen to some people that don't happen to most others...and I keep on living my life. If it comes up in conversation I will share my experience and viewpoint, and you bet it will weigh on my decision to buy the brand's products in the future....but to go to this length? Ridiculous IMHO.

"What if my wife had been alone?" The horror! People have been surviving cars breaking down as long as cars have existed. My wife's Toyota Prius blew a water pump and left her stranded alone. She lived, she called me and I came and rescued her. She's a big girl. When I was a kid my Mom's van broke down when it was just me and her...it was back before we had cell phones/car phones. We walked to someones house, knocked on the door, she called my Dad and he came to rescue us. We survived!

"My wife might have kept driving it and ruined the engine!"...my wife stopped it as soon as she knew something was wrong. Don't underestimate your wife LOL

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-20-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 01:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think its either, I think he just feels personally affronted that his "luxury vehicle" that he bought because he thought it would be "the highest quality in every way" had a failure. I think its more being over-dramatic than anything else.

This type of attitude REALLY irks me quite frankly, reeks of over-dramatic self importance. I've had vehicles that have had serious failures, my Jeep's had 28 warranty repairs. Do I join forums and post things, make a video and post it on you tube? No... I realize my experience isn't that important...and I realize that things happen to some people that don't happen to most others...and I keep on living my life. If it comes up in conversation I will share my experience and viewpoint, and you bet it will weigh on my decision to buy the brand's products in the future....but to go to this length? Ridiculous IMHO.

"What if my wife had been alone?" The horror! People have been surviving cars breaking down as long as cars have existed. My wife's Toyota Prius blew a water pump and left her stranded alone. She lived, she called me and I came and rescued her. She's a big girl. When I was a kid my Mom's van broke down when it was just me and her...it was back before we had cell phones/car phones. We walked to someones house, knocked on the door, she called my Dad and he came to rescue us. We survived!
Well said. While unfortunate and disappointing for the OP, stuff happens but life goes on and we live and learn.
Old 03-20-14, 01:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish I had as much free time as this guy...good lord...the time to record, edit, and post a video?

To the OP, and everybody else (we'll never see the OP again is my guess). Had you had the Lexus towed to a Lexus dealer instead of your mechanic, my guess is Lexus would have covered this repair depending on age and mileage. The issue is that you are seeking to have them reimburse you for a repair that was diagnosed and done by your mechanic...and thats just not going to happen.

To everybody else out there, if this sort of thing happens...you need to contact Lexus BEFORE the repair is done...you can't have it done elsewhere and expect Lexus to reimburse you. The warranty provides for that, but only in a situation where its not feasible to get the vehicle to a Lexus dealer. If you simply chose to take it to a mechanic and not the dealer...you're going to be out of luck.

Had I been in this situation my mechanic would have insisted that I contact Lexus, or he would have contacted Lexus for me BEFORE doing the repair to see if they would cover him to do it, or if they would cover it. He's done that for me before and sent me over to the dealer because its something they'll cover.

Sucks, but things like this happen...many components on all vehicles are plastic nowadays and the reason is more weight than cost.
Maybe he didn't know at the time that it was because of a Lexus-caused issue? Are we only supposed to have our cars repaired at the dealership?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-20-14, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Maybe he didn't know at the time that it was because of a Lexus-caused issue? Are we only supposed to have our cars repaired at the dealership? Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
I mean...if oil explodes out of my vehicle on the highway and it's under warranty...Lexus dealer! Once the mechanic says "this part exploded and it's made with crappy plastic" my first response is "hang on...let me call Lexus".

Common sense. I have my cars serviced by my mechanic and not the dealer, but you have to think about stuff like this. You can't expect Lexus to cover it if they're not the one working on it.
Old 03-20-14, 03:05 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I watched the video and I'm just curious. This happened on Christmas Eve but just posted now, right when Toyota is in the news having to pay out $$$? And how many miles on the vehicle? He mentioned his mechanic, perhaps he bought used, and he 'thinks' his vehicle is about 5 years old. If bought new (or even used), I think he would know how old it was. Sorry for sounding cynical but just wondering if someone is trying to capitalize on the previous issues of Toyota now that it has been published people are getting money. Even though I've had my 04 over 10 years, I knew when something major seemed to be happening to go to Lexus and in contacting Corporate they did help out-not bad for a 10 year old car. And to one of the other posters, yes, this did seem like a professional video, not something most people would make from home. I would at least put the RX behind me,maybe point out what went wrong, etc.
Old 03-20-14, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Maybe he didn't know at the time that it was because of a Lexus-caused issue? Are we only supposed to have our cars repaired at the dealership?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
well, kind of obvious that if something is wrong with your engine and you have powertrain warranty, you go to Lexus, not some garage.

And yes, warranty work is done at dealership.
Old 03-20-14, 03:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, kind of obvious that if something is wrong with your engine and you have powertrain warranty, you go to Lexus, not some garage.

And yes, warranty work is done at dealership.
Did he have warranty? Forgive me for not watching the video, not sure if it was mentioned in there.
Old 03-20-14, 04:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgier
Hi my name is Michael and I'm very disappointed with Lexus. The mechanic wasn't open on Christmas day and so we had to wait an extra day to find out what had happened.

Our mechanic explained that the oil cooler manifold pipe assembly had to be replaced because Lexus installed that part using plastic material
You have every right to be upset Michael. I see two serious problems here with your mechanic. The first is that he is not open on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. The second is that he hasn't seen The Graduate.
Old 03-20-14, 04:46 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

"My wife might have kept driving it and ruined the engine!"...my wife stopped it as soon as she knew something was wrong. Don't underestimate your wife LOL
Well put!

My MB from the chysler era was junk, but you don't see me posting youtubes and b1tching on mbworld.
I'm just eyeing when the air suspension is going leak, give out, and have me drive it home like a low rider.
Depreciation is simply horrible. Not even worth getting rid of it. I just simply won't get another benz

Originally Posted by JDR76
Did he have warranty? Forgive me for not watching the video, not sure if it was mentioned in there.
No, because lexus would've covered it and he would be fine and dandy....

We only b1tch, whine, post on the internet when we have to fork over the repair cost.

To MIke, we're only giving you a hard time. Like someone else mentioned before, sucks it had to happen to you.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-20-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 04:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Reading more responses in this thread, I'm glad I didn't watch the video. Probably a waste of 2:24 of my life - ain't nobody got time for that !
Old 03-20-14, 04:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

To the OP, no pictures or other supporting facts = sorry, the stellar RX is innocent until proven guilty.

Sometimes I wish my honesty would not get the better of me so I can post "my family vacation trip horror story" of our ML, X5, or Q5 on their respective forums.
Old 03-20-14, 05:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hmmm something tells me this is a hoax or troll.
I'm thinking the same thing. If this were me, I'd be posting by New Years Eve (probably sooner) if I was that pissed off; not waiting 3 months....
Old 03-20-14, 06:25 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you want Lexus to cover an out of warranty repair it would have had to be taken to a dealer. Why do people put themselves in these situations? OP should be 100% responsible for the cost in or out of warranty. Cars break all the time even the most reliable cars in the world still have failures sometimes. I am glad Lexus denied any kind of assistance.
Old 03-20-14, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,362 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Reading more responses in this thread, I'm glad I didn't watch the video. Probably a waste of 2:24 of my life - ain't nobody got time for that !
his first post is an almost exact word for word script of the video.
Old 03-20-14, 07:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read/watched. Reminded me of this:

Quick Reply: Why I'm Never Buying a Lexus Again!