Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 06:04 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can't be a refresh. Dang!
Old 04-16-14, 06:05 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front end looks pretty lame. what is it suppose to be ? a double stack bumper ? a spindle ? and what the heck is a spindle ? front bumper looks so cluttered and busy that it looks like the design team got sick and tired of thinking about it and just forced everything together.

every time I see a asian car manufacturer try to do a drop down grille, It just reminds me of how ahead of the times the europeans were with their audi's.
Old 04-16-14, 06:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, Toyota wasn't kidding when they said this would challenge what a "refresh" could be. Obviously we weren't going to see a new roof, that can only be done with a 100% redesign as the roof is part of the frame itself.

I have mixed feelings about the restyle. I'm in the camp that believed the '12-'14 Camry is a great design, particularly in SE trim. To me there was a chiseled timeless class to it. Now those sharp lines are smoothed over. I will also say that it's neither better or worse. However, I think I prefer the current SE better. This just about goes too far, especially for such a mega seller. I actually prefer the XLE's slatted grill over the new SE's too blacked out opening.

There's a certain cohesiveness that it lacks compared to the best in class designs such as the Fusion. Almost like you can tell this is a restyle while the outgoing Camry you can tell was an original, more cohesive design.

For me, the Avalon is a far superior design. In fact it's one of my favorite sedans of all time. I wouldn't have expected the Camry to be as nice anyway. I even prefer the Corolla's front end (better shaped headlights and grill).

I do think Toyota will carry this 3 years for a total of 6. No way they invest in such a change for only 2 years.

This gaping front end is risky for the Camry but I think it will remain #1.
Old 04-16-14, 06:45 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toyota has nothing exciting to offer. ABSOLUTELY nothing. Even their LFA looks weak.
Old 04-16-14, 06:52 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Tantrix
toyota has nothing exciting to offer. ABSOLUTELY nothing. Even their LFA looks weak.
Uhh what?
Old 04-16-14, 07:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

LOL LFA looks weak? You mean wicked?
Old 04-16-14, 07:16 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow

Personally, I think I like the current camry better (SE trim). But i'll wait till I see it in person...

Sides rear look good though ...
Old 04-16-14, 07:22 PM
jsanders
Driver

This new Camry design looks amazing...I'm excited to possibly buy the SE Hybrid. Wish Toyota could step up their quality game and produce something like the legendary 92-96 Camry. I think the concerns about the C pillar black plastic are way overblown. People are overeager to criticize Toyota as if they are buying a Bentley or something.
Old 04-16-14, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Some amazing gems posted today! Wow!

Old 04-16-14, 08:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
Some amazing gems posted today! Wow!
No kidding. This is about as foolish as I have ever seen it.

Old 04-16-14, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

i don't want an answer, but one has to wonder why you participate on this forum if you find no excitement in anything toyota does.
Old 04-16-14, 09:01 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

accord rear, gaping face that's too much like too many damn cars with gaping face, and civic like side. originality score of 2/10. almost as unoriginal as some of the blatant hyundai/kias.

i don't have problem with their decision to be bold because current camry puts me to sleep, but what they are doing is what hyundai's been doing - making a collage of various cars.

i don't like it. toyota is better than that. i'm not saying this is ugly car. some angles look very good. it will sell well. but this is admitting their vanilla is a total fail. and they just decided to borrow design cues. instead of being a leader, they are being a follower just like hyundai. tst, tst, tst.
Old 04-16-14, 09:08 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

fail

lol fail

fail

fail

fail

i really despise this trend. hate it

at least the spindle grill has a character. and audi is fine because well they sorta started the trend(along with peugeot) and stuck with it. it's theirs. but these above, just doesn't work for me. make me wanna puke actually.
Old 04-16-14, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Hopefully they got it this time....... You can't just sell anything with a Camry badge, it has to look good too.
This is a nice design, but it does not fit the Camry demographics. Hopefully it will sell.
Old 04-16-14, 09:53 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

One negative as a Lexus owner, this new Camry-front-end is the beginning of the death of the spindle grill especially when we see 400,000 of them on the road. Where's the Lexus exclusivity?
completely diluted.

Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York