Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Test drove an A4 last week, but got in the A3 in the showroom while waiting for the salesman. The A4 has a roomier back seat (but the A3 seat is at least as big as my IS), and I don't love the pop up nav, but other than that, I can't see getting the current A4 over an A3.
What do you think of the difference in the interiors? I haven't actually sat in a new A3. But, from just the pictures (which, admittedly, don't always tell the whole story), it seems to have a budget interior compared to the A4.
Old 04-02-14, 07:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the difference in the interiors? I haven't actually sat in a new A3. But, from just the pictures (which, admittedly, don't always tell the whole story), it seems to have a budget interior compared to the A4.
The A3 didn't feel budget--but I didn't see it in action on the road. And I think the newer MMI controller will be better--the dial is wider, and I found the A4 dial odd to get the hang of.
Old 04-03-14, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The A3 didn't feel budget--but I didn't see it in action on the road.
Perhaps not, if it uses good materials. But, from the pictures, it didn't seem as plush as the A4's cabin (which might make sense, given the lower price). Audis, in general are known for their well-fitted, carefully-crafted interiors.

Anyhow, I have a formal request for an A3 review, and I'll see it for myself pretty soon.

And I think the newer MMI controller will be better.
Gosh, I hope so. Current and past MMIs made me want to use language that I'd rather not post here.
Old 04-03-14, 10:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyhow, I have a formal request for an A3 review, and I'll see it for myself pretty soon.
Looking forward to it. ...I'm all over the place what I want to get to replace my IS.
Old 04-04-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looking forward to it. ...I'm all over the place what I want to get to replace my IS.
The A3, of course, is not the only competitor to the IS. But, given Audi's steadily improving reputation after years of unreliability and warranty issues, I can understand your interest in that vehicle. You are aware, aren't you (?), that the 2015 A3 line-up, in the American market, will be mostly 4-door sedans, with only one 5-door hatchback...an extended-range, plug-in hybrid.
Old 06-03-14, 05:50 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very Nice review MM, thank you!

I have a 2014 Malibu as a rental this week. Put about 425 miles on it so far, will probably double that by Friday. Car gives a very nice highway ride, but I do agree with you the Turbo 4 is not as refined as their V6. I guess this isn't a surprise and quite frankly if it weren't for trying to pass some trucks quickly on the highway I may not have even noticed it. Trunk space is good and 4 adults were comfortable, 5 were just ok, although after using a peer's ATS with 5 of us for lunch today, the Malibu is now the go to car for 5 at least for this week
Old 06-03-14, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Very Nice review MM, thank you!

I have a 2014 Malibu as a rental this week. Put about 425 miles on it so far, will probably double that by Friday. Car gives a very nice highway ride, but I do agree with you the Turbo 4 is not as refined as their V6. I guess this isn't a surprise and quite frankly if it weren't for trying to pass some trucks quickly on the highway I may not have even noticed it. Trunk space is good and 4 adults were comfortable, 5 were just ok, although after using a peer's ATS with 5 of us for lunch today, the Malibu is now the go to car for 5 at least for this week
Glad you enjoyed the review.

if you like the new Malibu, though, go rent a new 2014 V6 Impala, if one is available. You'll not only probably forget the Malibu, but you'll probably also fall in love and want to take one home. Yes, it's that good....light-years ahead of the old one. I was stunned when I drove it....especially in the ride/handling department

(Here's my review if you want to read it)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...mpala-2lt.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-14 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 06:24 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Glad you enjoyed the review.

if you like the new Malibu, though, go rent a new 2014 V6 Impala, if one is available. You'll not only probably forget the Malibu, but you'll probably also fall in love and want to take one home. Yes, it's that good....light-years ahead of the old one. I was stunned when I drove it....especially in the ride/handling department

(Here's my review if you want to read it)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...mpala-2lt.html
I will try for one in a couple of weeks and will be sure to read your review before I do, thanks!
Old 06-03-14, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will try for one in a couple of weeks and will be sure to read your review before I do, thanks!
Be sure, when you rent it, that it's a 2014 and not a 2013....and I strongly recommend the V6. The difference between the 2013 and 2014, on the road, is stunning.
Old 06-04-14, 02:20 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Be sure, when you rent it, that it's a 2014 and not a 2013....and I strongly recommend the V6. The difference between the 2013 and 2014, on the road, is stunning.
Appreciate that, I'll definitely look for the 2014 but as far as engine choices we take what we get but good tip and I'll certainly try.
Old 06-04-14, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Appreciate that, I'll definitely look for the 2014 but as far as engine choices we take what we get but good tip and I'll certainly try.
IMO, the V6 should be standard in the new Impala. Its refinement matches that of the rest of the car, plus, a car this size is a little big for a four.
Old 06-04-14, 09:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO, the V6 should be standard in the new Impala. Its refinement matches that of the rest of the car, plus, a car this size is a little big for a four.
Big car like that, absolutely