Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New vs. Old lexus vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 10:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

There is no way the mechanicals of a new Lexus match up to ones from 20 years ago. Back then everything was overbuilt, every part was spec'd as "lifetime" meaning it should never fail, ever. Today every component is designed to a specific tolerance and strength, this has to be the case to save weight and cost. As for interiors, some of you must be smoking the good stuff because 20 years ago a Lexus had incredibly durable materials that could take a serious beating and still look decent. The various interior bits now are very thin.

What has drastically improved is the overall look/design but that's to be expected. On the flip side, the original LS400 still looks good today inside and out. Compare it to other luxury cars of that era and they look extremely dated and crude.
Old 03-29-14, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no way the mechanicals of a new Lexus match up to ones from 20 years ago. Back then everything was overbuilt, every part was spec'd as "lifetime" meaning it should never fail, ever. Today every component is designed to a specific tolerance and strength, this has to be the case to save weight and cost.
Still has to stand up to warranty-coverage, though, and the 6/70 Lexus powertrain warranty has not changed. Under those conditions, the factory can't afford to use substandard drivetrain parts....it would lose too much money in free repairs.

As for interiors, some of you must be smoking the good stuff because 20 years ago a Lexus had incredibly durable materials that could take a serious beating and still look decent. The various interior bits now are very thin.
Totally agree with you on that (see my last post)

What has drastically improved is the overall look/design but that's to be expected. On the flip side, the original LS400 still looks good today inside and out. Compare it to other luxury cars of that era and they look extremely dated and crude.
Styling, of course, is objective, and opinions will differ. But, one thing that HAS suffered, with the tendency of newer sedans of almost every make to have coupe-like rooflines, is ease of entry/exit of taller persons from the rear seat without banging their heads.
Old 03-29-14, 10:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still has to stand up to warranty-coverage, though, and the 6/70 Lexus powertrain warranty has not changed. Under those conditions, the factory can't afford to use substandard drivetrain parts....it would lose too much money in free repairs.
Which the drivetrain will easily do, where the Lexus and Toyota vehicles of ~20 years ago excel is standing up to abuse. They keep going even though people completely ignore repairing and maintaining them. I'm not saying the mechanicals today are sub standard, not at all. I'm saying that if pushed beyond their intended stress levels, they won't stand up as well as the substantially overbuilt stuff used 2 decades ago.

You can see this just by closely looking at a new Lexus, it is beautifully made but doesn't have that "built like a tank" aura about it. This is from necessity not because Lexus couldn't do it. If they did, the car would weigh too much and would be priced right out of the market segment. There are some exceptions, the LS460 to me is incredible and has no compromises. I get the "built like a vault" feel from the Landcruiser.
Old 03-29-14, 02:05 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% accurate ^^
Old 03-29-14, 03:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can see this just by closely looking at a new Lexus, it is beautifully made but doesn't have that "built like a tank" aura about it. This is from necessity not because Lexus couldn't do it. If they did, the car would weigh too much and would be priced right out of the market segment. There are some exceptions, the LS460 to me is incredible and has no compromises. I get the "built like a vault" feel from the Landcruiser.
100% Agree here. Only the LS and LandCruiser have shown no compromise one gen after the next and have that bank vault feel and sound when you close those doors, but of course you pay for it.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-29-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 05:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stereorob
Ok we all know you aren't gunna find remote touch interfaces, key fobs, or laser guided cruise control in a 20 year old Ls400 or Es300, but with all this new technology... Has it come with a price? Do you think lexus has started cutting corners on some things or are they as good or better as they were 20 years ago? Has the quality suffered in them over the years? Do you think the current generation of lexus vehicles will still be rolling around mechanically sound 20+ years from now with faded paint and cracked leather like the ones of yesteryear are now? Will they even last as long? As someone that works for lexus, I can't say yay or nay on this topic but I'm very curious to see what others think about lexus of today vs lexus a long time ago. Do you think a 2014 ES350 will live as long as a 1994 ES300? Will a 2014 LS460 still be hanging on in 2039 like the 1990 LS400 is today?
I think the current crop of Lexus vehicles are as good as they have ever built (anything 2013 forward). They really have paid back attention to the details. Were the initial round of Lexus cars "overbuilt"? You bet but to me there is no way I would drive or say an older one is better than a new comparable model today.

We also need to take into account Lexus has never been higher in quality with lower defects and the cars are more complicated than ever. Its mind blowing that a complicated Lexus hybrid loaded to the gills is as reliable as anything that has ever been built.

As a long time OWNER of various Lexus models I am more than confident a 2014 model would last as long as a 1994 model. One difference is the models in the past changed very slowly while the new models change much faster or they feel obsolete.

Old 03-29-14, 08:15 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

^^^^ the hybrids.. Those are the ones that I'm really curious as to how they will be down the road 15 years from now. Like the ES300h. It's easy to drive and is very well made, but it's what is hidden Is horrifically complex.
Old 03-29-14, 11:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If one measures the evidence, nothing has changed with Lexus from the 90's. One has to follow long-term tests, monitor these blog sites over the years, and pay attention to Consumer Reports judgements. Lexus has consistantly stayed on top with reliability. There is little chance of change ten years from now with today's models.
As LexFather mentioned, it's absolutely amazing they have maintained this level considering how much new tech and features have come into play. This is a window to see the level of attention Lexus draws upon to ensure the ultimate level of quality.
Old 03-31-14, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If anyone can make today's high-tech cars last, it's Toyota/Lexus. So I wouldn't worry.
I agree, Toyota and Lexus should build them better than the others.

Originally Posted by JM51526
I think the body, suspension, and drivetrain on newer Lexus' are every bit as well built as the old ones.

As for if we'll see old ones hanging on like the early models, I don't know. When/if the climate control LCD blacks out on a first generation LS400, it still works fine, and costs maybe $100 to fix if you choose to. If the control screen dies on some modern Lexus', it would cost a grand or two to fix - and the heat/AC/stereo won't work without it. As the car depreciates that cost comes closer to the cost of the car, and more people would be likely to junk the car or dump it for cheap.

I'm hoping that technology will improve to where we can fix/replace such control units cheaper and easier. If they last all is well. If they don't, they're the achilles heel.
Not sure how long LCD screens will last. The LX470 and LS430 from the 2003 are about 10 years old now and are still doing well.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Mechanically new cars are better than old ones now. The risk however is that the technology on new ones is more likely to fail, and looking at how many ECU's and systems are computer controlled and integrated they can make fixes very expensive.
I don't know if the new ones are any more better mechanically. Toyota has not all of a sudden changed the way they design a vital component that they have been making for years.

Things like dual VVTi, electronic 4WD, power rear hatches, auto door closing (LS), pre-crash are all extra things that can just fail. Then add in all the stability, traction controls, various air bags etc, I would say the older Lexus models would last longer.
Old 03-31-14, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If one measures the evidence, nothing has changed with Lexus from the 90's. One has to follow long-term tests, monitor these blog sites over the years, and pay attention to Consumer Reports judgements. Lexus has consistantly stayed on top with reliability. There is little chance of change ten years from now with today's models.
As LexFather mentioned, it's absolutely amazing they have maintained this level considering how much new tech and features have come into play. This is a window to see the level of attention Lexus draws upon to ensure the ultimate level of quality.
Thank you and I think those here that own the old and new vehicles can attest to this. Lexus vehicle are vastly more complicated than in the past and statistically speaking their reliability is IMPROVING which is an amazing accomplishment.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the most reliable Lexus are the SC 430 (which is a folding hardtop), the LS 430 and the current LS 460.

Old 03-31-14, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the most reliable Lexus are the SC 430 (which is a folding hardtop), the LS 430 and the current LS 460.
The LX450 is the most reliable Lexus on the planet.
Old 03-31-14, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if anything, i think 2006-2010 was the "down time" for lexus in terms of quality and reliability. outside of that lexus has been strong as ever. drive trains wise i have never had doubt on any lexus, from 4 cylinders to 10 cylinders, they just run forever. while yes, other competitors are improving a lot too, but i still have more faith on lexus drive trains

electronics, i also have more faith on lexus overall compared to other brands, but i do expect things to break more easily compared to 20 years ago, simply because of the amount of technologies and stuff in the cars now. i think this is more of a nature thing than company quality

again, this is outside of 2006-2010, where imho lexus really got quite disappointing. but good thing is toyota is back and now the cars are very solid. ls430, sc430, and lx450/470 are widely considered as the strongest lexus built ever
Old 03-31-14, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
again, this is outside of 2006-2010, where imho lexus really got quite disappointing. but good thing is toyota is back and now the cars are very solid. ls430, sc430, and lx450/470 are widely considered as the strongest lexus built ever
Certainly no argument on the LS430, Henry. I've long considered it, for several reasons, the best overall car Lexus ever built...though the present LS460 and the 4th-Generation ES300/330 are close. The LS430, though, really excelled not only in reliability but also comfort.

A friend of mine drives a LS430 (bought it used) simply because he thinks the ride comfort is a lot better than on the LS460. I've driven an LS460 myself, though, and it's pretty darn comfortable....he thinks the 430 rides a lot smoother, though.
Old 03-31-14, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know if the new ones are any more better mechanically. Toyota has not all of a sudden changed the way they design a vital component that they have been making for years.

Things like dual VVTi, electronic 4WD, power rear hatches, auto door closing (LS), pre-crash are all extra things that can just fail. Then add in all the stability, traction controls, various air bags etc, I would say the older Lexus models would last longer.
There are some exceptions like Lexus's. Keep in mind many used cast iron blocks vs aluminum now and had far fewer electronics to go wrong. So yes older Lexus's may prevail, but most everything else won't hold up as well, as it lacks that excellent quality.
Old 03-31-14, 02:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I always compare my older GS to other cars and think to myself that the older lexus's were so well built IMO.... I agree older lexus models are more on the road today than BMW's and mercedes etc.. That says something about Toyota and the way there built... We can all agree that buying a Lexus is the best decision we have all made....

Quick Reply: New vs. Old lexus vehicles