Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New vs. Old lexus vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
. Keep in mind many used cast iron blocks vs aluminum now
I myself used to think that an iron block was more durable than aluminum. But experience has shown that many aluminum-block engines, with today's technology, routinely go 200K miles or more.

People initially got a negative view of aluminum blocks back in the 1970s. That was because of terrible examples like the ill-fated Chevrolet Vega aluminum four-cylinder, with cast iron cylinder liners, that routinely overheated and warped the block, ruining the engine. That was because iron and aluminum expanded at different rates when heated, putting extreme pressures on the liners. But that was with ancient, 40-year-old technology, metal-alloys, and cooling systems....all of which today are light-years ahead of the 1970s. In addition, all else equal, iron blocks place more weight (or a higher percentage of the weight) on the front end of the car, affecting the car's steering, suspension, braking, and acceleration/gas mileage.
Old 04-01-14, 07:01 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to do some research. I would have never known the 2UZ-FE was a cast iron block to supposedly improve durability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine
Old 04-01-14, 09:23 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The best Camry was the 1992-1996 3rd generation.

That was the era of Toyota's fat engineering prowess. The 4th gen Camry was a downgrade, the 5th gen wasn't bad. But after that with the 6th gen quality took a massive downfall and cost cutting was deep.
All Toyota products after 2005 had the flimsy & cheap type of material in their interior. And the cars in general were under engineered compared to their over engineered predecessors..
Old 04-02-14, 05:26 PM
JM51526
Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3
All Toyota products after 2005 had the flimsy & cheap type of material in their interior. And the cars in general were under engineered compared to their over engineered predecessors..
Not sure I would say "under engineered", but they certainly were engineered with a new emphasis on thrift.
Old 04-02-14, 06:31 PM
mb93fd
Driver School Candidate

I would honestly own either one, but I am a little attached to my SC300...
Old 04-02-14, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LX450 is the most reliable Lexus on the planet.
Forgot about that one but let's be honest it was a rebadge compared to a LX 570.

Old 04-02-14, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Forgot about that one but let's be honest it was a rebadge compared to a LX 570.
Redadge or no rebadge, the Lexus LX450 will last longer than any other Lexus.
Old 04-03-14, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Redadge or no rebadge, the Lexus LX450 will last longer than any other Lexus.
And again it's not that simple as a LX 450 has none of the technology a LX 570 has and I would think a LX 570 is just as well built if not better. Both are built off the same robust Land Cruiser platform.

If one is worried the tech in the LX 570 might break that is understandable but there is NO tech in the LX 450 to break. That is the difference.

Old 04-03-14, 03:46 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Lets see that LS F-sport Mike...
Old 04-03-14, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The best Camry was the 1992-1996 3rd generation.

That was the era of Toyota's fat engineering prowess. The 4th gen Camry was a downgrade, the 5th gen wasn't bad. But after that with the 6th gen quality took a massive downfall and cost cutting was deep.
You are very perceptive.....and, IMO, would make a good auto-reviewer. I agree on all of your points...especially the 3Gen Camry. Later models were progressively cost-cut.
Old 04-03-14, 08:02 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are very perceptive.....and, IMO, would make a good auto-reviewer. I agree on all of your points...especially the 3Gen Camry. Later models were progressively cost-cut.
Yah thanks at least some agree with my point of view..
Old 04-03-14, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yah thanks at least some agree with my point of view..
The greatest tribute itself, however, to the 3Gen 92-96 Camry is not necessarily our own words, but the simple fact that so many of them are still running around on the roads 20 years after they were built. In the D.C. area where I live, though many of those old Camrys now have faded paint, scratches/dents, faded upholstery, etc...... they still get many thousands of people to and from their destinations every day. I'm about to go car-shopping with a lady very soon (a very nice, retired nurse I swim with regularly at the local recreation center's indoor heated pool) who seems finally about ready to give up her old Camry after nearly 20 years and 220,000 miles.
Old 04-03-14, 10:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If one is worried the tech in the LX 570 might break that is understandable but there is NO tech in the LX 450 to break. That is the difference.
Which is why I said the LX450 is the most reliable/bullet-proof Lexus on the planet.
Old 04-08-14, 12:09 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Which is why I said the LX450 is the most reliable/bullet-proof Lexus on the planet.
I'm going to go ahead and stir the pot. The Ls400 is actually the most reliable lexus on the planet.
Old 04-08-14, 01:22 PM
jsanders
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I once recommeneded Toyota to a friend and we took a test drive of a 6th gen Camry back to back with an Accord...it was embarrasing to say the least...the Accord drove much much better, had a better interior, and just overall felt like a much more expensive car. The 6th gen Camry LE we rented screamed cheap rental and seemed like it had UAW assembly quality

this year when purchasing a new car I told myself I would try to stay away from Toyota and focus on other brands, even domestics...but ended up with a 2014 Highlander, a model that Toyota seems to have really stepped up their game on. Hope this is a sign of good things to come.

Quick Reply: New vs. Old lexus vehicles