Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

True or BS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 05:42 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default True or BS?

Went to go purchase a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned but had to walk away because they claimed "it was priced to sell," and that is their way of doing business.

I left, the lady sales agent then proceeded to call me back twice explaining how good of a deal it was already but still didn't budge on the price so I politely told her to stop calling me.

This was at a Sewell dealersip btw if that matters.

I will not be going back there, just wondering if this is how the process has changed to.
Old 03-29-14, 05:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I just helped friend pick up a 2012 IS250 with 11,xxx miles on it. The price on the sticker was 29,988.

The salesperson also said its as priced to sell. This was a Hendrick's dealership. He said across the country, all the Hendrick dealerships was doing this and that people actually preferred this method since there is less back and forth. He also said some people don't like it and walk away because they expect to get something off the sticker. We were shocked at first but they still budged a bit on the price. In fact, it was 500 off the sticker, but with the sales tax savings, it was more like 750.

She ended up buying it. When I got home, I began to think whether this was all a tactic because 500 off the listed price is very little and we felt good, almost even gracious, to get even the 500 discount. I think this allows them to get more money in the end.
Old 03-29-14, 06:05 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I just helped friend pick up a 2012 IS250 with 11,xxx miles on it. The price on the sticker was 29,988.

The salesperson also said its as priced to sell. This was a Hendrick's dealership. He said across the country, all the Hendrick dealerships was doing this and that people actually preferred this method since there is less back and forth. He also said some people don't like it and walk away because they expect to get something off the sticker. We were shocked at first but they still budged a bit on the price. In fact, it was 500 off the sticker, but with the sales tax savings, it was more like 750.

She ended up buying it. When I got home, I began to think whether this was all a tactic because 500 off the listed price is very little and we felt good, almost even gracious, to get even the 500 discount. I think this allows them to get more money in the end.
Was it a certified pre-owned?

I was expecting after the second call they would budge a little. I'm in the boat same boat as you, I think its just a tactic to make more money.
Old 03-29-14, 06:33 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

OP, what irks you about the situation? The fact that they wouldn't haggle, or that you thought they were singling you out as a person they wouldn't allow to haggle?

Personally, I've heard of a lot of dealerships moving in this direction.
Old 03-29-14, 06:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like they may be doing what my Lexus Pre-Owned department does and that's Market Based Pricing, looking at what the lowest is ala Autotrader etc.. and undercutting it. A one-price store.
Old 03-29-14, 07:00 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sounds like they may be doing what my Lexus Pre-Owned department does and that's Market Based Pricing, looking at what the lowest is ala Autotrader etc.. and undercutting it. A one-price store.
So you went through this when you purchased your 2is?
Old 03-29-14, 08:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Toyota tried the price fixing strategy on new cars a few years back for a couple years in Canada until they realized that EVERYTHING is always negotiable and scrapped it.
Old 03-29-14, 10:27 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Toyota tried the price fixing strategy on new cars a few years back for a couple years in Canada until they realized that EVERYTHING is always negotiable and scrapped it.
I could see this working in the future but most of society is so adapted to the negotiating method, it will take some time for this to be more accepted.
Old 03-29-14, 10:28 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Just for reference, these were the prices.

We looked at (2) both for my wife.

2012 Certified is350- 48,200k for $29,200 (9.5/10 Condition)
2011 Certified is350- 46,900k for $27,000 (9/10 Condition. Dealer explained that rear bumper was resprayed, had some spots touch up paint)
Old 03-29-14, 10:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would tell them my price, and "good luck selling it".

If prices are not negotiable, why the f do they need salesmen?

Just take me straight to the damn cashier and I'll ring the car up like groceries. F the salesman.
Old 03-29-14, 11:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by doritos
Was it a certified pre-owned?

I was expecting after the second call they would budge a little. I'm in the boat same boat as you, I think its just a tactic to make more money.
Yes, it was a CPO model. As someone else said, everything is negotiable. The salesman who IMO was very honest, said that we shouldn't expect discounts in the thousands. he said he still sees discounts in the few hundreds and thats exactly what we got
Old 03-29-14, 11:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The local dealership has a "no haggle" pricing policy. They will give you the final price up-front and if you walk, you walk. I much prefer this arrangement over the phony high price then a big discount. If the original price is fair, why would they discount it further? The sales people are not salaried, so they have no part in setting price. I won't work with a dealership that quotes a high price then works thousands of dollars discount to get to the final price. It might make some people feel good to negotiate a $50,000 dollar price down to $45,000. I would much rather be quoted $45.000 from the start
Steve
Old 03-30-14, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by doritos
So you went through this when you purchased your 2is?
No, I bought my Car new before I worked for this Lexus franchise. My point was our Pre-Owned departement uses Market Based Pricing for a no-haggle policy.
Old 03-30-14, 10:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The local dealership has a "no haggle" pricing policy. They will give you the final price up-front and if you walk, you walk. I much prefer this arrangement over the phony high price then a big discount. If the original price is fair, why would they discount it further? The sales people are not salaried, so they have no part in setting price. I won't work with a dealership that quotes a high price then works thousands of dollars discount to get to the final price. It might make some people feel good to negotiate a $50,000 dollar price down to $45,000. I would much rather be quoted $45.000 from the start
Steve
But you won't get that $45K number from start.
When shopping for a used car or new,I never will pay a list price.
Old 03-30-14, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Thats the question, is the price fair? People get wrapped up in the American mentality of "don't pay the sticker price", but if you've shopped around and these are well priced...then they're well priced if they are well priced...sticker or not.

I love how people feel they are "owed" some sort of discount. If they let you leave and didn't make any sort of follow up offer, then they aren't interested in selling you the car beneath that price...whether its no-haggle or not. Business is business.

Don't turn down a good deal and a good car just because you feel "wronged" because they wouldn't haggle with you. Thats an emotional response, emotional responses have no place in business.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
But you won't get that $45K number from start.
When shopping for a used car or new,I never will pay a list price.
In general I agree with this. I typically don't see no-haggle prices at dealers that I could not get another dealer that will negotiate with me down lower. BUT...I know my stuff and I'm a tough negotiator. A lot of people don't, and aren't, and they may not be capable of negotiating the price as low as I can. Or the whole thing is so stressful for them they just want to bypass that stress, and a no haggle dealer may be a good compromise. They typically have "good" prices...just not "great".

On a used car though to me its more about the car itself than it is a couple thousand bucks. If one car is in great shape, has records, I'll pay a little more. A new car is the same regardless of the dealer.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-30-14 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: True or BS?