Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looks like BMW 3 series are more cost-cutting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 03:59 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats on that Rapide! I just saw a new one two days ago in Mako Blue . Gorgeous car, but the driver was trying to show off and weaving in and out of traffic
Thanks! I hate show-off drivers makes us other Aston drivers look bad lol.
Old 04-03-14, 05:40 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to the F30 the 3IS interior is goodness.

Not that BMWs have ever remotely been benchmarks for interior.

The interior of the F30 seems like its made of parts from the dumpster.
Old 04-03-14, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Shocked that they would cost-cut away from this. The 'door thud' has been a trademark of German luxury cars.
With BMW, the general movement away from bank-vault solidness (especially in sheet metal and door-solidness) started a number of years ago with the original Chris Bangle designs, and has been accelerating ever since. I remember, some time ago, at the D.C. Auto Show (I don't remember which year), BMW had a Pre-Bangle and Post-Bangle 5-series parked next to each other, and the difference in solidness was emarkable. A old friend of mine got one of the last pre-Bangle 5-series cars (with the M-sport chassis, but without the M-power), and he still loves it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Not that BMWs have ever remotely been benchmarks for interior.
As I posted just above, the Pre-Bangle interiors seem to have had better materials than what came afterwards. Not only that, but the increasing complexity of controls/levers in many BMW interiors have made them more difficult to operate and get used to. Not only the notorious I-Drive and stereo controls, but the flimsy-feeling painted silver plastic electronic shift lever on the console is also awkward-operating and, in my experience, takes some time to get used to.

Up to the advent of the new electric-steering cars, though, Pre-Bangle or not, there was just no substitute for the magic-feel BMW steering/chassis...truly the Ultimate Driving Machine. Unfortunately, the newest BMWs seem to be doing away with even that.
Old 04-03-14, 10:35 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

frankly, if i want an compact BMW sedan nowadays, i would only pick one of the two:

don't have lot of cash: 320i with sport package for under $35k

money not a concern: 435 Grand Coupe, 4 series is way more upscale compare to 3 series, and the new 4GC will not be that expensive over a loaded 335i sedan
Old 04-03-14, 10:37 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I don't see the value of premium cars in general, there are plenty of mainstream badged cars offer reasonably equal levels of quality, comfort, engineering sophistication, safety, and reliability for thousands less.
Old 04-04-14, 05:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Honestly I don't see the value of premium cars in general, there are plenty of mainstream badged cars offer reasonably equal levels of quality, comfort, engineering sophistication, safety, and reliability for thousands less.
agreed, for my next car purchase I'm leaning more towards more performance rather than premium or luxury...
Old 04-04-14, 06:34 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
It's larger than the previous gen 3, the new 4 cylinder engines are faster and way more fuel efficient than the older inline 6... for the average, non-enthusiast, driver, there's a lot of pros with those three factors alone.

For me, it's really hard to get used to that lighter steering when you are used to the steering weight and feel of the e90s. The N20 is a nice upgrade as jwong77 pointed out, although I much prefer the sound that comes from the old inline 6 over the I4.
Yeah they're selling well to the masses, but enthusiasts haven't taken to them at all.

The classic BMW Inline-6 used to be standard on every BMW with its marvelous sound and character. Now it's optional and you have to step all the way up to a 335i which are insane pricey these days. You used to also get insanely good brakes on every single BMW. Optional now. Can still get them if you step all the way up to the pricey M-Sport package. Classic BMW steering and road feel with the great feedback is GONE COMPLETELY and cannot be had an any price.

I appreciate these things, and just can't bring myself to buy another. Pay thousands more just to get what was already standard, and still not have a car that drives as good? Huge downgrade for enthusiasts. No thanks.