Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 12:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reported problems go way beyond lag... crashing mostly. ford has made a lot of progress in fixing it though, so maybe it's all good now, i don't know. i met someone with an '11 edge and he was friendly until i asked 'how do you like your edge?' when he seemed to turn into a fuming chimney talking about myford touch.
I have yet to read anything good about MyFordTouch (or CUE for that matter).
Old 05-07-14, 12:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i think the eco-boost model is a bit over the top
You must be the fun guy at parties
Old 05-07-14, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i believe just because of the fact CHP is using them would help the sale number quite a bit. i think the eco-boost model is a bit over the top, give a Limited 4wd
well since there is no 5.0L V8 available, an EcoBoost V6 is welcome
Old 05-07-14, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry on the late-reply. Just seeing the thread for the first time now. Congratulations. Nice SUV. I got the same color (Crystal Red) on my Buick Verano...everyone likes it.

Lot of $$$$$ for an Explorer, but I remember that the one I reviewed a few years ago was also not far from 50K. Sorry you have had issues with it......Consumer Reports does rate the new Explorer as below-average in reliability.

Now that you got a nice new vehicle with new paint, I recommend SCRATCH-OUT, which is a scratch-removing liquid that comes in a small yellow bottle. It will take out surface scratches, discolorations, scuffs, blotches, and other paint imperfections in the top layers of the paint and clearcoat as long as they aren't too deep. You basically rub it on like wax (hard enough to remove the scratch or discoloration), then wipe it off.

Just one question, though. Why pay for those nice chrome door handles (which often come only on higher-line models to start with)...and then just turn around and paint them body color? Doesn't make sense to me......I'm not one of those that believe that chrome is an eyesore, as long as it is in moderation and not excessive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-14 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

That's a bummer. The new CAFE laws are really screwing up engine-options .
Old 05-07-14, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

not sure there was a 5.0? mine last gen is a 4.6 i think.
Old 05-07-14, 08:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Thinking of terms of what Ford's current V8 is.....the 5.0 is what would be in the Explorer now if Ford offered a V8.
Old 05-07-14, 08:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry on the late-reply. Just seeing the thread for the first time now. Congratulations. Nice SUV. I got the same color (Crystal Red) on my Buick Verano...everyone likes it.

Lot of $$$$$ for an Explorer, but I remember that the one I reviewed a few years ago was also not far from 50K. Sorry you have had issues with it......Consumer Reports does rate the new Explorer as below-average in reliability.

Now that you got a nice new vehicle with new paint, I recommend SCRATCH-OUT, which is a scratch-removing liquid that comes in a small yellow bottle. It will take out surface scratches, discolorations, scuffs, blotches, and other paint imperfections in the top layers of the paint and clearcoat as long as they aren't too deep. You basically rub it on like wax (hard enough to remove the scratch or discoloration), then wipe it off.

Just one question, though. Why pay for those nice chrome door handles (which often come only on higher-line models to start with)...and then just turn around and paint them body color? Doesn't make sense to me......I'm not one of those that believe that chrome is an eyesore, as long as it is in moderation and not excessive.

Probably just the way options are grouped together in packages now. Can't get one thing without 5 others with it.
Old 05-07-14, 08:06 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think cafe regulations are 100% to blame for this one. The explorer is based on the Taurus. It now uses a uni-body frame rather than the old ladder frame. Since its based of the Taurus they couldn't fit a V8 if they wanted to because the current set up is transverse engine + transaxle.
Old 05-07-14, 09:06 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh man that looks much better
Thanks bro, it is nice how such subtle changes can make such a difference.

Thanks for the congratulatory remarks! The color is impressive indeed.
As far as the door handles, that was covered by Ford ($180) so nothing OOP. It was my wife's request actually. Personally, I am in a "no chrome" phase as I just prefer the look, plus it is cheap "plastic" chrome anyways. The amount of chrome on the Explorer is by no means over the top (a la the Escalade), I agree there.
After we did the handles, I paid Ford the $400 for the http://www.xzilon.com/home.php treatment. Thanks for the heads up on the Scratch out, when needed I will pick some up.

Last edited by GSthe4th; 05-08-14 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:19 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!

My wife and I considered on briefly last year, however, the price became a factor as it crept up to the Q5 TDI territory; we bought a completely different SUV in the end. Another thing that kept us was that while reading the various reviews some people were reporting issues with the EcoBoost V6 - which is the only engine we would have considered. It is a really good looking SUV though and it has come a long way style-wise from previous models IMO.

I really wish they had a V8 powered version as they have in years past...!
Old 05-08-14, 12:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What BrettJacks said, since they are not offering a V8 this generation. Had they, they've moved on from the 4.6 to the 5.0
Old 05-08-14, 02:47 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
You must be the fun guy at parties
This is the first time I have heard someone complain about the engine selection in the sport! The EcoBoost V6 was a must for me. Usually complaints relate to the packages/options available with the limited vs the sport (like HID headlights). Similar to the GS F sport vs luxury package.

I am curious to see what the Explorer and Expedition re-designs bring to the table in terms of weight reduction and engine choices (possibly along the lines of the new F150).

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Congrats!

My wife and I considered on briefly last year, however, the price became a factor as it crept up to the Q5 TDI territory; we bought a completely different SUV in the end. Another thing that kept us was that while reading the various reviews some people were reporting issues with the EcoBoost V6 - which is the only engine we would have considered. It is a really good looking SUV though and it has come a long way style-wise from previous models IMO.

I really wish they had a V8 powered version as they have in years past...!
Thank you! Many people have questioned the price, as did I initially, but I was re-assured after researching our options. And those issues with the engine were well documented in the Explorer forum, on the official recall thread here in car chat, and were a concern of mine as well before ordering. Seems like they have all been addressed (thankfully). Can I ask what SUV you and your wife ended up picking?
Old 05-08-14, 04:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't want one in there anyways. The torque steer in the explorer (yes, even with AWD) is annoying as it is with the EcoBoost motor.
Old 05-08-14, 05:10 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to cut in from the side, but being a Ford fan I followed the thread all the way to look for one thing specific and that is reliability. We don't get the Explorer here, but to me that's not the point. It is sort of an iconic model for Ford and if reliability on it is spot on, one can can feel, yes, Ford still attaches value to its core corporate values. I have my eye on the Ford Ranger pick-up truck (really a truck to die for) here on these shores and I hope you'll understand why I try to get the take, but apart from guys listing troubles., I cannot say what the contention about reliability really is.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary