Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how long until car keys / fobs are history?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 09:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The technology is certainly there to do it, but the problem is too much churn in the tech industry. People swap or lose their phones every year. The technology that's supported is constantly changing, and the car is likely to long outlast that. Security concerns, etc. Best to have a means of access that's proprietary and not some open standard, and tied exclusively to your car.
indeed... there is no reason to forgo smart key ever... I dont see what is the problem with having smart key or even smart card like some Lexi do.

From our own gallery:

Old 04-23-14, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
What if you lost your phone? What if your phone gets hacked (that's pretty easily done nowadays)? What's going to happen then? No more car?
What if you loose your key? What if your key is broken or stolen? No more car?

Its really more of the same, a natural evolution. They are already coming out with home locks that use your smartphone to unlock, I have no doubt that sometime soon your cell phone is going to be the key fob for your car. Eventually all we will have is a smartphone, no more keys, no more credit cards, no more cash.

Just put it in your wallet and don't think about it anymore. At least, you would not have to worry about loosing 1 thing and loosing it all.
Then why not carry two car keys if you need a backup? Right now you're operating with no backup...what is the difference if you have a physical key or if your smartphone is the key? Its just a mental hangup.

What if you use the credit card key and loose your wallet? Its all more of the same. I'm way more likely to loose my wallet than my smartphone, its always in my hands.
Old 04-23-14, 10:19 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwongidea. 7
I think they should make a credit card sized key fob with RFID. You keep it in your wallet, and simply walk up to the car and it unlocks itself. Basically the same thing as the current comfort access keyfobs, but make it fit in your wallet.
I like this idea. Everyone has their wallet with them when they're with their car. Wouldn't want something phone based, although having it a customer option would be fine. There should always be some tangible object (or keypad) to access a car.
Old 04-23-14, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is there any reason our cars shouldn't unlock and be startable just by having our cell phones (or wearable tech) nearby?

seems to me if cars have this function, and maybe a number pad for backup, there would no longer be any need for car keys / fobs.

a phone app could also be used to remote start the car, open the trunk, etc.

thoughts?
What happens when a smart phones battery dies and the app will not work?

While it is a cool idea to have an app on a phone that can start the car, I would rather have a real traditional key and key fob.

My old CT had push button start, when we traded it in for a Tacoma 4x4 we went back to the tradional key. I would rather have a key or push button before I would want an app on a phone.
Old 04-23-14, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think they should make a credit card sized key fob with RFID. You keep it in your wallet, and simply walk up to the car and it unlocks itself.
For security purposes, though, it should only unlock the driver's door, not all of them. The last thing you want is for some pervert jumping inside with you on the opposite side of the car.
Old 04-23-14, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I like this idea. Everyone has their wallet with them when they're with their car. Wouldn't want something phone based, although having it a customer option would be fine. There should always be some tangible object (or keypad) to access a car.
of course, we're rapidly moving to where a wallet will be a thing of the past too. hey, i can pay for my starbucks with my phone already. it's a start.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

While it is a cool idea to have an app on a phone that can start the car, I would rather have a real traditional key and key fob.
might want to read the rest of the thread...

for me, i just don't like carrying anything not absolutely necessary around, and the less the better.
Old 04-23-14, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thats a limitation, but as battery technology increases it will be less so.

My old CT had push button start, when we traded it in for a Tacoma 4x4 we went back to the tradional key. I would rather have a key or push button before I would want an app on a phone.
You would still have a push button, the presence of the phone would simply serve the purpose of the presence of a key.

Now that I am accustomed to keyless entry and start I would never buy another car without it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For security purposes, though, it should only unlock the driver's door, not all of them. The last thing you want is for some pervert jumping inside with you on the opposite side of the car.
Something that is already user selectable. The system now defaults to that, I always immediately change it so that my unlock unlocks all the doors.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-23-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Now that I am accustomed to keyless entry and start I would never buy another car without it.
It probably won't even be an issue. Unless you buy something as rock-bottom as an entry-level Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, or Chevy Spark, the chances are that no more cars will actually come from the factory without keyless entry anymore. And even those El Cheapo cars pretty much have standard or optional keyless entry on their upper-trim models. Keyless entry, power windows, power door locks, and even A/C are virtually standard on today's cars....though, once in a while, you will still see hand-adjusted side-mirrors.
Old 04-23-14, 12:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

again, no one has said that a phone should be the ONLY way to get into a car.
I guess referring to key fobs as "history" led me to think that's what we were talking about...
Old 04-23-14, 12:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

It should be programmable, just like my SmartKey. To me, it's a step backwards if I can only open the driver's door, and then get inside and unlock all other doors.
Old 04-23-14, 12:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It should be programmable, just like my SmartKey. To me, it's a step backwards if I can only open the driver's door, and then get inside and unlock all other doors.
Agreed. I find it incredibly annoying when I ride in my friend's Lancer. The proximity unlock only opens the driver's door, but my trained reflex leads me to try opening the door, only to realize he hasn't unlocked it yet.

I could see the value of such a setting, as long as it's user defined. I personally am not a vulnerable 15 year old girl. I watch my surroundings, see inside my windows, and carry heat. Anybody's welcome to hop in with me
Old 04-23-14, 01:28 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is there any reason our cars shouldn't unlock and be startable just by having our cell phones (or wearable tech) nearby?

seems to me if cars have this function, and maybe a number pad for backup, there would no longer be any need for car keys / fobs.

a phone app could also be used to remote start the car, open the trunk, etc.

thoughts?
I think Key fobs or any other unlocking devices/apps can be eliminated all together, even for the econo cars.

I believe we are taking the capabilities of modern technology for granted. Instead of repeating the process of figuring ways to make smarter key/fob/phone unlocking methods, how about making smarter cars

What if you can just walk up to your car, and it recognizes you. Your heart rate, temperature, height, size, face - Voice even? Say "aufschließen!" there are many common sensor techs that can work. how about you get close enough and wave your hand or gesture in a combination of ways to unlock your vehicle? trunk? roll down the windows? Just think of the X-Box Kinect integrated - Not too farfetched.

We all want less accessories to carry and worry about, and eliminate the risks for hacking altogether, so lets add the unlocking accessory on the vehicle instead.

Last edited by Marklouis; 04-23-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 01:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

It probably won't even be an issue. Unless you buy something as rock-bottom as an entry-level Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, or Chevy Spark, the chances are that no more cars will actually come from the factory without keyless entry anymore. And even those El Cheapo cars pretty much have standard or optional keyless entry on their upper-trim models. Keyless entry, power windows, power door locks, and even A/C are virtually standard on today's cars....though, once in a while, you will still see hand-adjusted side-mirrors.
Except the German premium brands, that make the proximity key only available on upper level option packages.... Comes standard on a Nissan Rouge, but requires you to buy a $4,000 option package on MB / BMW / Audi.....
Old 04-23-14, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
What if you use the credit card key and loose your wallet? Its all more of the same. I'm way more likely to loose my wallet than my smartphone, its always in my hands.
how many times in past year did you lose your wallet and how many times did you smartphone did not work, be it from battery or some glitch.

I lost my wallet once in my life, and not sure where to start with my smartphone battery, reboots, freezes, etc, etc.
Old 04-23-14, 04:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I think Key fobs or any other unlocking devices/apps can be eliminated all together, even for the econo cars.

I believe we are taking the capabilities of modern technology for granted. Instead of repeating the process of figuring ways to make smarter key/fob/phone unlocking methods, how about making smarter cars

What if you can just walk up to your car, and it recognizes you. Your heart rate, temperature, height, size, face - Voice even? Say "aufschließen!" there are many common sensor techs that can work. how about you get close enough and wave your hand or gesture in a combination of ways to unlock your vehicle? trunk? roll down the windows? Just think of the X-Box Kinect integrated - Not too farfetched.

We all want less accessories to carry and worry about, and eliminate the risks for hacking altogether, so lets add the unlocking accessory on the vehicle instead.
awesome post... thinking outside the fob, i mean box.

Quick Reply: how long until car keys / fobs are history?