Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how long until car keys / fobs are history?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 06:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like the option of being able to link my car to my smartphone, but I would never want the key fob to disappear.

What happens if you want to let someone else drive your car? Do you have to lend them your phone too? With the many other things that can go wrong with a smartphone, I would hope to never see the key fob become history.
Old 04-23-14, 06:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Neat idea, but think there are so many unexpected and unplanned events with vehicles that it would become impractical.

Friend asks you to borrow your car or if he can move it for you out of blocking his driveway
Or using a valet when you stopped somewhere unexpected (and didn't plan ahead to bring that backup key)?

Etc etc.

Maybe there is some temporary key IM or email link you could send that expired

Could be benefits by locking teen kids access to the car outside certain hours

Edit - got called away from finishing this and see post above has some of the same thoughts
Old 04-23-14, 06:37 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well a proprietary key isn't really any more secure. but again, some means other than a phone should be provided for a backup. as for tech churn, it's a potential concern, but i don't see bluetooth going away any time soon for example, and car co's already have connected cars, so they will have to keep 'legacy' connectivity around for a looooong time.
I've done a lot of work in global regulatory support for wireless products. Platforms change. Software architectures change. Code is completely re-written from the ground up, and legacy modes are given far less attention than the latest standards and modes are. The issue is that when you get your fancy new phone with Bluetooth 7.0, how would you like to discover that it has some sort of bug or issue operating in today's 3.0/4.0 mode for your car and you suddenly can't get it going? Oops. That's why I'll always prefer some sort of hard key specifically programmed for the car.
Old 04-23-14, 06:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

about valet parking, perhaps the car owner can put the car in a valet mode (from their phone) with a time limit, which allows the push button start and door lock buttons to work even though the phone (or fob) isn't close by. so the kid can park your car and get it back for you.
another idea is you'd use some kind of authorize function to transmit a token to the valet, service center, friend, whatever which lets their devices work for the car (proxy for your 'key') for a while.

next up... elimination of house and office keys - another royal pain
Old 04-23-14, 07:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I've done a lot of work in global regulatory support for wireless products. Platforms change. Software architectures change. Code is completely re-written from the ground up, and legacy modes are given far less attention than the latest standards and modes are. The issue is that when you get your fancy new phone with Bluetooth 7.0, how would you like to discover that it has some sort of bug or issue operating in today's 3.0/4.0 mode for your car and you suddenly can't get it going? Oops. That's why I'll always prefer some sort of hard key specifically programmed for the car.
absolutely... i can guarantee you that OS 9.0 might not support your Phone App 3.0.
Old 04-23-14, 07:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about valet parking, perhaps the car owner can put the car in a valet mode (from their phone) with a time limit, which allows the push button start and door lock buttons to work even though the phone (or fob) isn't close by. so the kid can park your car and get it back for you.
another idea is you'd use some kind of authorize function to transmit a token to the valet, service center, friend, whatever which lets their devices work for the car (proxy for your 'key') for a while.

next up... elimination of house and office keys - another royal pain
My house key was basically eliminated at my last place. My roommate was armed and home almost 24/7, lol.

I don't mind using keys for the most part. For work, I have an RFID chip rather than a key.

But I'm not so lazy I can't push unlock on my key fob and then stick the key in my ignition(my hand is already going in that direction anyway).
Old 04-23-14, 08:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how many times in past year did you lose your wallet and how many times did you smartphone did not work, be it from battery or some glitch.

I lost my wallet once in my life, and not sure where to start with my smartphone battery, reboots, freezes, etc, etc.
Battery/glitch and loosing the phone are two separate arguments. I agree that technological glitches and poor battery life are an issue for smartphones today...but they will be far less so in the future. We are talking about the future not now.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Friend asks you to borrow your car or if he can move it for you out of blocking his driveway
Or using a valet when you stopped somewhere unexpected (and didn't plan ahead to bring that backup key)?
This was my question about the home locks that use your smartphone, what if you want someone to come over and be able to access your house? Apparently you can send them a program via text or email that will let them open the door with their smartphone for a predetermined period of time.
Old 04-23-14, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What gets me with some of these features is they are slow to respond. With my IS's door handle sensor, it takes some time to stop at the car's door, put your hand on the handle, wait for the sensor to detect the key in your pocket, and then unlock the door. This often takes a few tries, especially if your body and poket is not angled right or something else is in your pocket blocking the signal. At least with the archiac keyfob and manual button,one could have the car unlocked before getting to the door. I do miss the speed of all that. It's also a safety issues when you need to get in your car to avoid a hazard. Once in the car though, not having keys laying around is great.
Old 04-24-14, 01:23 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handing the valet your phone or watch wouldn't be an ideal situation.

But Toyota has had these watches for a while now

http://www.i4u.com/8638/toyota-offer...y-wristwatches
Old 04-24-14, 07:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
W At least with the archiac keyfob and manual button,one could have the car unlocked before getting to the door. I do miss the speed of all that. It's also a safety issues when you need to get in your car to avoid a hazard. Once in the car though, not having keys laying around is great.
Can you not still do that with your current fob? You still have the option. You can either just grab the handle, or you can go the old route of hitting the button on the remote as you walk up to the car.
Old 04-24-14, 07:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i was going to say don't we have that option with remote starts and alarms? You can start the car from your cell phone i thought or arm it if you have a alarm... Seems that most companies are going "push start" in most vehicles which is becoming standard nowadays...
Old 04-24-14, 07:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Can you not still do that with your current fob? You still have the option. You can either just grab the handle, or you can go the old route of hitting the button on the remote as you walk up to the car.
Well--I also have the "option" of using the mechanical key to unlock the door. But, if I have a fob that is supposed to work wirelessly, I want it to *work*, and not use it the same way as a standard key fob.

Now--I don't have the delay issues that Fizzboy7 is experiencing with his SmartKey--mine responds properly. But if I was having those issues, I would not accept a Lexus Tech telling me to use it the "old school" way.
Old 04-24-14, 07:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well--I also have the "option" of using the mechanical key to unlock the door. But, if I have a fob that is supposed to work wirelessly, I want it to *work*, and not use it the same way as a standard key fob.
Only pointing out that the method of using the fob in the traditional way of unlocking as you approach the car is still available to us. The feature has not been removed. If he's more comfortable with that route, he can use it.

Originally Posted by tex2670
Now--I don't have the delay issues that Fizzboy7 is experiencing with his SmartKey--mine responds properly. But if I was having those issues, I would not accept a Lexus Tech telling me to use it the "old school" way.
I hope you didn't gather from my response that I would accept, or suggest someone else accept, such a response from a Lexus tech. If it's not working properly, of course it should be fixed.
Old 04-24-14, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What gets me with some of these features is they are slow to respond. With my IS's door handle sensor, it takes some time to stop at the car's door, put your hand on the handle, wait for the sensor to detect the key in your pocket, and then unlock the door. This often takes a few tries, especially if your body and poket is not angled right or something else is in your pocket blocking the signal. At least with the archiac keyfob and manual button,one could have the car unlocked before getting to the door. I do miss the speed of all that. It's also a safety issues when you need to get in your car to avoid a hazard. Once in the car though, not having keys laying around is great.
The technology is improving. The smart key system on my GS is much more responsive than the one on my old ES.
Old 04-24-14, 02:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes, I can still hit the button on my fob if I wanted to instantly unlock things. But that defeats the whole purpose of having the smart key/push button start feature. Plus if wearing jeans or pants with smaller pockets, it's a pain pulling keys out of a pocket all day long. Maybe it's my skin, but I've noticed during the winter/windy/dry months, my hands start getting scratched from going in and out of pockets throughout the day. I'd be happier if the door sensor detected my key in pocket faster. If others and SW13GS are saying the tech is improving, then all of this is a moot point. I'm stuck with 2008 tech for now. =)

Quick Reply: how long until car keys / fobs are history?