Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't be swayed by HP figures....Torque is what really counts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-14, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Don't forget one extremely important fact. The old ratings (pre-1972) cannot be compared to horsepower ratings today. For example:

So when people look back fondly at the muscle car era and wax poetic about 400+ HP engines, if they were tested today in stock form then would not be putting down near those numbers. Not to mention those engines got 15mpg is you were lucky.
True....but Gross vs. Net ratings weren't the only factor either. After 1970, de-tuning of the engines for emissions also took out a lot of power. By 1975, most American engines had become a joke, even with the then-new catalytic converters.
Old 04-26-14, 02:40 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been saying this for a while. The most important factors on the cars would be Torque and Weight.
Old 04-26-14, 02:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
After 1970, de-tuning of the engines for emissions also took out a lot of power.
It was a factor, but also not as significant as some make it out to be. Even if we chop off 20% after the emissions standards kicked in, put that 20% back and many of the mid 70's engines would still be a pathetic excuse for power given their displacement. But they did still have decent enough torque so around town the cars didn't feel completely gutless.

Speaking of torque and hybrids, a good example of this is the Highlander. Instead of going for all out efficiency Toyota basically matched the horsepower rating of the non hybrid engine. But the torque is another story, the Highlander hybrid is VERY responsive around town and even at freeway speeds. Stomp the pedal and you can blow by cars like nothing. That's torque for you.

I have not driven a Tesla S but I can imagine it is an amazing experience, the torque curve is completely flat.
Old 04-26-14, 03:06 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tesla S is nice, and I would love High Performance Hybrid. You will not run out of Juice. Unlike the Tesla S, you will run out of Juice. Beside, what if every one tap into the Grid ?
Old 04-26-14, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually you relax and then check the facts. Winning a car race is all about HP. Drag racing maybe different but not for real races. You need good gearing, good engineering and high horses.

Because we are talking about the average user, a high HP engine is better suited than a low HP very high torque engine.
First you need to calm down. Secondly that statement "Horsepower wins the Show, Torque wins the Race" is a blanket statement. Spurred by Carroll Shelby once saying: "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." There are also variations such as "Horsepower steals the show, torque wins the races." These are common terms that are nebulous and merely related not factual to the thread. So lighten up. Perhaps I need to add more emoticons so you'll be able to tell the difference when someone is being factual or making light of something
Old 04-26-14, 05:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not enough emoticons. Needs 4 more
Old 04-26-14, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I have been saying this for a while. The most important factors on the cars would be Torque and Weight.
No! HP, torque, gearing, drive train loss and weight all matter
Old 04-26-14, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
This subject has been beat to death, and there are basically two kinds of people - those who understand how torque and HP work, and those who don't.
Agreed. HP vs Torque won't be resolved here.

Old 04-26-14, 06:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I would love nothing more than to have my dad's old 67 Firebird. That 400 cubic inch engine from Pontiac is a torque monster. I recall reading that it offered superior performance in a 68 test by C&D in the pony car segment, including against its cousin, the Camaro...being that Chevy engines were high revvers and didn't have as much low-end torque as the old indian.
Old 04-26-14, 08:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Agreed. HP vs Torque won't be resolved here.
Yeah, but so far we've been seeing a bunch of priceless commentary from some of the experts.
Old 04-26-14, 11:42 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most cars have a good balance of HP & torque.

Drive a diesel they have so much low end torque but then they just run out of breath.

Here's the performance curve of the Audi 2.0L TDI

Old 04-26-14, 11:46 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But outright acceleration is all about HP to weight ratio. Take the diesel 330d as it has roughly the same torque to weight ratio as an F1 car. Yet it doesn't accelerates no where near an F1 car
Old 04-27-14, 01:49 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I would love nothing more than to have my dad's old 67 Firebird. That 400 cubic inch engine from Pontiac is a torque monster. I recall reading that it offered superior performance in a 68 test by C&D in the pony car segment, including against its cousin, the Camaro...being that Chevy engines were high revvers and didn't have as much low-end torque as the old indian.
Firebirds are very rare here, never been brought in officially by GM (they have a plant here since before the great depression). Once knew a guy who had a collection on his plot which will send the guys on American Pickers in a spin. Had a Firebird there which was turbocharged. Guy sweared that it was factory fitted. To thicken the plot, it had a moniker on the rear deck to denote this fact (but it could've been aftermarket). Was it an option or a special production run?
How would that influence the already massive torque? Also interesting to look in general how turbo
charging influence torque (meaning torque curve etc).

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-27-14 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 04:14 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But outright acceleration is all about HP to weight ratio. Take the diesel 330d as it has roughly the same torque to weight ratio as an F1 car. Yet it doesn't accelerates no where near an F1 car
Even last year's V8 F1 cars were 642kg and produced around 300Nm, so quite a bit higher torque to weight than the 330d, which weighs 1500kg+ and peaks around 550Nm. (And obviously the new turbo F1 engines produce way more torque - well more than enough to offset the increased weight, so an even higher torque-to-weight.)

In any case, your conclusion is nevertheless correct. The reason is that gearing can keep the engine in the rpm range of peak hp, which makes torque largely irrelevant.

Last edited by gengar; 04-27-14 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 07:04 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Firebirds are very rare here, never been brought in officially by GM (they have a plant here since before the great depression). Once knew a guy who had a collection on his plot which will send the guys on American Pickers in a spin. Had a Firebird there which was turbocharged. Guy sweared that it was factory fitted. To thicken the plot, it had a moniker on the rear deck to denote this fact (but it could've been aftermarket). Was it an option or a special production run?
How would that influence the already massive torque? Also interesting to look in general how turbo
charging influence torque (meaning torque curve etc).
Any idea what year or generation that Firebird was? As far as I know, the only year they offered a factory turbo was in 89 on the GTA model, which was actually a Buick V6 engine.

Quick Reply: Don't be swayed by HP figures....Torque is what really counts.