Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not Driving Much & Full Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 08:18 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Not Driving Much & Full Tank

I used to drive a lot (250miles a week), but now I live in the city and my new job is also in the city so I take public transit to work. Anyways, I really only drive my car once a week and its about less than 10 miles total on Sunday to Church and grocery shopping. After driving I fill the tank back up to full. Then leave the car for another week in my outdoor parking spot. This has gotten into a routine. The tank hasn't dropped below full in weeks, yet I still pump in about 1 gallon each Sunday after driving it those few miles*. I only use Shell or Mobile gas 93 octane.

Does anyone see anything I am doing that will cause damage to the car (2010 RX350 67,xxx miles always Lexus serviced)?

*I heard keeping the tank full is important if you don't drive much as condensation can build on the top of the tank and cause water in the gas.

Thanks
Old 04-27-14, 08:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I have never heard concrete evidence of condensation building up in tanks. On the other hand, you could be doing more damage by not using up a full tank of gas. Setiments can build up over time in the tank. That is not harmful when gone through in small amounts. But without sucking gas from the bottom over a longer period of time, those setiements can really build up and do some contaminating. Best to use it like you normally would and fill up when you really do need to fill up. An owner's manual has never said to keep a full tank.
Old 04-28-14, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

if you drive that little i'd sell the rx and take a cab! save a fortune.
Old 04-28-14, 07:51 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

You're blessed to be in a cool climate so the fuel deteriorates fairly slowly. A dilution of 1 to 18 gallons isn't very much. Might as well top off once every month or two. Better to take a nice drive of maybe 200 miles every 3-4 months, then add 10-12 gallons.
Old 04-28-14, 08:43 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this is an issue.

Owners of volts don't fill up there cars for months at a time..
Old 04-28-14, 05:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally id go with chevron w/techron instead....ive heard great things about it.
Old 04-28-14, 07:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be more worried about the "Less than 10 miles" part. Driving it that little never lets the engine fully warm up, which is murder on oil life along with other various rubber components/seals.

I'm also of the notion of selling it if that's all you drive. Especially if you have to pay for parking at your apartment. Or heck go trade it in on a decent $10,000 Corolla, Civic, etc if that's all you drive. Still reliable, plus you just freed up $10-15k you can invest, go on vacation, etc.
Old 04-29-14, 01:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're only driving a few miles a month, your cost of operation (any remaining payments, insurance, and maintenance) per mile must be pretty rough. But there's a hidden cost of infrequent operation; the car will deteriorate through lack of regular use and care. My aged stepmother's car was an example. With only 8K miles in ten years, it was beginning to disintegrate. Tires weren't wearing, they were rotting. Oil changes every six months were a joke - since she'd put less than 500 miles on the oil - but time is a huge enemy of your lubrication system; additives simply evaporate or fall out of suspension. They undergo chemical changes, especially when the engine is used only for a few minutes a week.

Acids produced by the degradation of additives and blow-by from the cylinders collect in the pan and the oil begins to break down prematurely because it never gets up to a good working temperature for long enough to boil them off. Gaskets and hoses dry out and crack. Your AC compressor is lubricated by oil in the refrigerant - which, if uncirculated, begins to chemically decompose. Bearings dry out, refrigerants and transmission fluids become acidic and attack the plumbing, fuel begins to deteriorate and evaporate (yes, even today) and even brake and power steering fluids can go gummy without circulation and constant exposure to humidity in the reservoir.

I drove my stepmother's car from Houston to Austin a few times when I'd go up to the lake - just to try to put some miles on it - but it was too late. I'd break down in Austin, get it fixed, and drive back to Houston - by which time something else sprang a leak or quit altogether. When I sold the car with 13 years and 18K miles on it, it had one operative gear in the transmission, three new tires (I'd blown three and the mini-spare all within a week thanks to dry rot), and the AC compressor was on its last legs - again. Just because you aren't driving the car doesn't mean it's not "wearing out". The changes are often difficult to see, but can still leave you stranded at the worst possible time. Even if you're not driving the car much, you need to perform regular service on it as though you were.

Regular use of your car helps preserve it, but by disuse, it begins to fall apart. There are a number of fuel and oil additives on the market that will help slow this breakdown of fluids, but it is best for the car to just drive it occasionally. Take your wife on a "date night" to a restaurant in another town, or take the kids to a park or a ball game - make it a road trip say, once a month. Make an excuse to travel a bit now and then - and tell yourself it's cheaper than car repairs.
Old 05-10-14, 06:06 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I am not ready to sell it because I own it outright so really the only cost is insurance and parking. I appreciate all the detailed responses.

I have decided to treat myself. I will drive my car to work on Fridays since I get parking at my office. Driving a Lexus to work is definitely more comfortable then ridding in a crowded subway. This will get it on the highway and some highway speeds. It just the traffic thats the killer. If their was no traffic I would drive everyday.

Subway time to work with line change =1hr
Driving time to work in traffic = 45min + Stress
Driving time to work no traffic= 20min

Last edited by satnav; 05-10-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 06:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I am not ready to sell it because I own it outright so really the only cost is insurance and parking. I appreciate all the detailed responses.

I have decided to treat myself. I will drive my car to work on Fridays since I get parking at my office. Driving a Lexus to work is definitely more comfortable then ridding in a crowded subway. This will get it on the highway and some highway speeds. It just the traffic thats the killer. If their was no traffic I would drive everyday.

Subway time to work with line change =1hr
Driving time to work in traffic = 45min + Stress
Driving time to work no traffic= 20min
I'm with ya! I drive/bike/walk to a bus stop 1.5 miles away from my house...then take the bus 37 miles into town ($125/mo).

I tell people even if someone gave me a vehicle to drive, paid for the gas, insurance, and parking --- I STILL wouldn't drive in to downtown.....traffic + stress =
Old 05-11-14, 03:23 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't know why I didn't bring this up before, but all fuel tanks suck gas from the very bottom. That's whether you are full or near empty. So the sediment theory can't apply.