Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation LS: Will Lexus save the best for last?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 11:02 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next generation LS: Will Lexus save the best for last?

We saw in 2011 what Lexus could be capable of when it released the LFA. I think towards the end of the LFA's development, Lexus (and Toyoda) realized its own potential and changed the direction of the Lexus brand. Fast forward and the introduction of the fourth-generation GS in 2012, we saw a new Lexus that put importance into the emotion of driving and performance. This coincided with the new face of Lexus, the spindle grill. Of course the GS showed a very immature version of the spindle grill, and I think it was smart thing to ease the brand into it.

Now, all of the Lexus models have the brand's new face. But the transformation is not only skin deep. Lexus' interior have stepped up dramatically, offering new colors and receiving multiple awards for their interior designs. With the introduction of the brand new NX model line, we will see the next-generation of Lexus engines in the 2.0L Turbo that will spread to the other models and will increase Lexus' competitiveness in the lower-end segment of the luxury industry.

But what about the high-end? Lexus will probably introduce the next up-sized RX in the next two years. The SC/LC will be probably in the same time-frame. What about the original Lexus, the LS? Will Lexus save the LS for last, culminating and completing the transformation of Lexus while previewing the next step forward for the future for the Lexus brand? What sort of technological and industry firsts will it have? Will it be be accompanied by a 650HP LS-F?
Old 04-30-14, 05:42 AM
LexFather

From what I've been told the next generation LS will be a 2016 debuting in 2017 and be truly revolutionary. Technology will be utterly amazing. I have no info on styling but I also feel strongly a LS-F will make an appearance. Expect a forced induction V-8, of course a new hybrid and possibly a dual clutch transmission.

Edit

Last edited by LexFather; 04-30-14 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-30-14, 05:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2017 feels so far away.

On a side note the XF30 has the longest life cycle of all the LS, no?
Old 04-30-14, 06:00 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds like the LS will set the bar for future Lexus. Revolutionizing Technology.
Old 04-30-14, 06:16 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"The Official Future of Lexus" thread helped put the 5LS (F) on my short list of possible next cars! As stated, seems so far away.
Old 04-30-14, 06:21 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By 2017 MB will have a new S class or facelifted atleast
Old 04-30-14, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2017...yikes! I hope they can swing it a year earlier or something.
Old 04-30-14, 07:20 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

3 years passes like a rocket for me!
Old 04-30-14, 07:37 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they cant wait 3 years. the new s-class is already out and the new 7 is right around the corner. they better hurry up.
Old 04-30-14, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Two years...not three....

Its a cycle...the new LS willl come the others will be old...the new competition comes, the LS will be old...

The LS isn't the best for last, it will usher in a new age for the brand. This is the first LS with Mr. Toyoda at the helm. Let that sink in for a second

The current LS even though based on an old platform still got over 3,000 new parts, enough to hold it over two more years. I would prefer they take their time to get it right. Who knows, the LS might talk to another LS...

Old 04-30-14, 07:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
This is the first LS with Mr. Toyoda at the helm. Let that sink in for a second
Good point. Didn't think of that.

Seems like he put the TMG LS on hold for the next gen, so I am hopeful for a killer LS F.
Old 04-30-14, 09:40 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Early 2017? WOW, that's really annoying to hear, as I hoped next year would do. Lexus seems to be pulling a "W126" with the XF40 LS. That S-Class ran for 12 years (1979-1991), because the W140 successor took 10 years to develop. Look at how revolutionary that was when it eventually came out. The last S-Class created without a budget. By the time the current LS is retired, it would have been a 10-11 year run since 2006. A feat only MB can claim (and maybe Jaguar). I figure this is because it will be product overload in 2015-16 across Toyota and Lexus, especially because of the new RX, TX, 3 new trucks (Hilux, Tundra), 180-Series Prado, and LC300.

At least unlike Infiniti's endless promises, Lexus will keep their word and deliver as expected. It is always interesting to see how a company can innovate, while at the same maintaining strict levels of reliability and a different take on luxury. That describes the LS for me. As an objective individual(and former Infiniti owner), with no hardcore favorites, I will say this. The failure of other Japanese brands to be as competitive, results in a poor perception of Japanese luxury and leaves Lexus in some ways, trying to dig out the anchor by itself on a sinking ship.

In commenting on the NX, a BMW insider claimed in January/February that a lot of W222 S-Class cars were present at the Toyota R&D centers in Japan. Clearly they are ensuring that it does much better than its greatest competitor and hopefully some RR & Bentley models for trickle-down effect.

There is a leaked picture of the finished car. But I am pleased that Lexus are finally forming a design identity. That once it is toned down from all the sharp angles is highly original instead of previous mis-matches of BMW and Mercedes-Benz design cues. But it is distinctively Japanese in its "origami" elements.

I seen the Lexus RC move for the first time on the streets of Tokyo it looks very impressive and work has commenced on the new Lexus LS judging by the amount of new S- Klasses at Toyotas R&D centre it is certainly going to be interesting in how they incorporate the new direction.
Thanks for the news Lex!

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-30-14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 10:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 281 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
From what I've been told the next generation LS will be a 2017 debuting in 2017 and be truly revolutionary. Technology will be utterly amazing. I have no info on styling but I also feel strongly a LS-F will make an appearance. Expect a forced induction V-8, of course a new hybrid and possibly a dual clutch transmission.
I have been told the same thing and can't wait to see what they come up with. Some people have actually driven this thing and the feedback is very positive. I was hoping it would be a 2016 debuting in 2016 so that's kind of a bummer.
Old 04-30-14, 10:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Early 2017? WOW, that's really annoying to hear, as I hoped next year would do.

they just released the facelift 12 months ago... so i doubt it would be sooner than 2016 no matter what...
Old 04-30-14, 11:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

4.5LS just buys a bit of time. 5LS should be some juggernaut

Quick Reply: Next generation LS: Will Lexus save the best for last?