Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 STI impression

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 10:56 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 STI impression

The ride:

The small and minors bumps are almost ignored by the STI. The huge Bumps doesn't give you the rough, and hard return like many would think, it almost disperse throughout the whole chasis. Coming from Lexus and Toyota. I have to say this Subaru ride is Case in Point. It is Subtle and soft where it needs be, then Stiff and Hard when expected.

The Dampeners are top notch, I do not feel the second shock at all coming through the big bump. The balance is awesome, feel like the car is an extension of yourself, the lane changing on the highway is like flying a plane. Just "snap" you are in 2 lanes, without noticing. It feels like even swerve at 60 MPH to avoid deer or object is a walk in the park.

The Cornering is awesome, the Under-Steer is almost not there anymore, she just Hugs the corners tight, and tease you "is this all you have got ?"

The Noise is much isolated on the sides, except the underside. Well you need that underside noise to rally anyway.

The Engine:

The "I" mode she is a normal car, just like a Camry or Accord, there is no feeling in the power surge, and not a lot of power and torque. Perfect for daily use

The "S" mode, she gets more agressive, boost comes in later but at higher PSI than "I" mode, at around 3,300 RPM and hold steady until 5,500 RPM. She thrust you to your awesomely bolstered chair, and while you feel so much balance, and in-control, you automatically grin like an idiot.

The "S#" mode, she gets insane, boost comes in as soon as 2,500 RPM, and Quick, you don't just feel the surge of power from the V6, you feel that torque of a V8, and it is so Incline that she will just keep on sprinting, the turbo just "Swooshing through the RPM, and exhausting through the shift" like a satisfied women.

The engine while is the same as the 2014, there is a huge different feel in Throttle responds through all SI Modes, and significantly different. There are Reported Dyno of the 15 making 280 AWHP. I think this happen on S# mode. Much faster than 14 STI.

The Exhaust:

Deeper, Roaring, Louder, Rumbling. Sounds better than 14 STI. I don't exactly know why, I am no such mechanic, and will not be able to find out by myself.

The Interior:

Exactly what I need, Simple, Simple, Simple, and Simple. It has all the Functionality a normal person would ask for, and you will grab it in the first 10 minutes sitting inside, playing with *****.

The Interior lay out is amazing, seats are amazing, soft, yet firm on the side, will keep you planted. There is way more Soft Material accross the vehicle than my wife RX350

The Transmision:

Top Knotch, soft, yet easy going in gear, catchy, she wll give you the confidences you need

The clutch, cloudy soft, you barely feel like pressing your foot at all, the engagement point is very short, and swift, you just move both clutch and gas like a rhythm and she will sing.

The Stereo:

I have a base Stereo, while she has all the basic functions, she has good sound if you give her good music soursce, such as 320 kps, or CD quality, the audio is enjoyable, much better than 14 Base. If you give her bad MP3 quality, it will suck, like in a way of her saying "bad owner, can't you have good music while riding me ?"

Conclusion:

Pure Sport car, still very luxurious in "I" mode, can not be compared to Lexus, but is 8/10 away. Can eat your heart out in "S#" mode, and will not weaver under any street conditions, she will keep you on your butts, planted with her godly grip.

Practical to be a grocery getter, Daily Drive to work, and hauling your family with 4 doors, and big trunk.

9/10 rating from me, such a sweet, perfect little lady. The minus 1 is from the design. Her fender flares in the Quater Panels can be bigger, with deeper creases, but ....they didn't do so. Otherwise....she is full of surprise.
Old 04-30-14, 11:02 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will try and answer anything I can.
Old 04-30-14, 11:02 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you buy it?
Old 04-30-14, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice little review. So are you picking one up?
Old 04-30-14, 11:20 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice little review. So are you picking one up?
Picked her last night, Launch Edition, I had 800 off MSRP, couldn't resist while I have been looking, researching, itching for a Sport ride LOL.

She is now back to the dealer for a throughout detail, and it is raining so bad out side.
Old 04-30-14, 11:21 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Turned off by the engine. Levorg has 300hp 2.0L FA DIT with better fuel economy and probably better usable power and tq as well. Why put such an old tech engine in a very refined sportcar chassis?

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying the STI now, but how I see it, JDM STI will have the new 2.0L and USDM will follow.
Old 04-30-14, 11:24 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Any pictures or more detail of the interior? Subaru has always been known to cut corners regarding interior
Old 04-30-14, 11:32 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
Turned off by the engine. Levorg has 300hp 2.0L FA DIT with better fuel economy and probably better usable power and tq as well. Why put such an old tech engine in a very refined sportcar chassis?

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying the STI now, but how I see it, JDM STI will have the new 2.0L and USDM will follow.
This subject is very debatable. Even if it is going to happen, it will not happen next year, it may happen in the mid cycle. I honestly Doubt it though, Subaru plays their cards safe, they will wait for the aftermarket report, and developed further. They may even wait until they can rightfully own the D4S from Toyota as well, and that will take 2 years. The STI holds their value very very well, you will not be disappointed to trade in for the new engine if it is to happens
Old 04-30-14, 11:34 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Any pictures or more detail of the interior? Subaru has always been known to cut corners regarding interior
You can check it out here

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Any specific questions ?
Old 04-30-14, 11:39 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

The main reason that Subaru didn't use DIT on their STI is because the STI is their pride, and many Direct Injection systems have Carbon problems. Except the Hybrid Direct Injection Superior from Toyota. At least, that is what I think
Old 04-30-14, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Picked her last night, Launch Edition, I had 800 off MSRP, couldn't resist while I have been looking, researching, itching for a Sport ride LOL.

She is now back to the dealer for a throughout detail, and it is raining so bad out side.
Well congrats sir! A rewarding drive for sure!
Old 04-30-14, 12:02 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by cino

From what I hear the wrx motor is so good they are sandbagging it intentionally because its actually a better engine than the sti engine.
Old 04-30-14, 12:03 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well congrats sir! A rewarding drive for sure!
Thank you Hoovey I have to say I am in love with the STI hehehe
Old 04-30-14, 12:32 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge

From what I hear the wrx motor is so good they are sandbagging it intentionally because its actually a better engine than the sti engine.
It is a fine engine. I have 15 WRX limited loaded, I could jump to STI LE with a few more grands "dealer gave me Invoice for LE", but I'd rather have a new tech. I will probably look into STI again if they bring the Wagon " Levorg STI" new FA to the states. Otherwise, 2016 Miata or RC200t.
Old 04-30-14, 12:37 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir

This subject is very debatable. Even if it is going to happen, it will not happen next year, it may happen in the mid cycle. I honestly Doubt it though, Subaru plays their cards safe, they will wait for the aftermarket report, and developed further. They may even wait until they can rightfully own the D4S from Toyota as well, and that will take 2 years. The STI holds their value very very well, you will not be disappointed to trade in for the new engine if it is to happens
If the bring Levorg here next year, its gonna happen sooner than we expect. Knowing Subaru, I wouldn't hold my breath though, this is probably the first and last Subaru I ever own because of the scumbag attitude of SOA.

Quick Reply: 2015 STI impression