Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat-Chrysler Group 5-Year Plan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 06:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fiat-Chrysler Group 5-Year Plan Thread

Post all news threads here. Some VERY interesting news here y'all- people who hate SRT as a brand will be happy. Here are some toplines, although I haven't read much of the reports:

Dodge 5-year plan: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...odge_Brand.pdf
-New Dart in 2016.
-New AWD Dart SRT in 2016
-New Journey in 2016, SRT Journey in 2016
-New B-segment in 2018
-No midsize
-Notice the Viper has reappeared in the Dodge presentation
-Not chasing as much volume

Chrysler 5-year Plan: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...sler_Brand.pdf
-The new mainstream brand
-Chrysler 100 in 2016
-200 to be refreshed in 2017
-New 2016 T&C, T&C PHEV
-New 2017 Full Size Crossover, Full Sive Crossover PHEV
-New 2018 Mid-size CUV

Jeep's 5-Year Plan: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...Jeep_Brand.pdf
-Re-Refreshed GC 2015
-New C-SUV (Compass/Patriot) coming in 2016
-Refreshed Cherokee 2016 (cross fingers)
-Refreshed Renegade 2017
-New Redesigned Wrangler 2017
-New GC 2017
-New Grand Wagoneer 2018

Fiat's 5-Year Plan: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...Fiat_Brand.pdf
No surprises...They're much more active in ROW
-500X coming next year
-Speciality model coming unveiled end of 2015

Alfa Romeo's 5-Year Plan: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...Alfa_Brand.pdf
-Midsize sedan coming end of year 2015
-2 compacts coming in 2016 (reportedly 1 will be 3-series size, the other euro-only compact)
-Another midsize model or trim coming in 2016
-Full size sedan coming in 2016
-2 SUV's coming in 2016
-1 specialty money coming in 2016

Maserati: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...rati_Brand.pdf
-Levante coming 2015
-Alfieri Coupe coming 2016
-Alfieri Cabrio coming 2017
-Positively ancient GranTurismo will be replaced 2018

Ferrari: TBA

RAM: http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/..._FIAT_PROF.pdf
-RAM Promaster City coming this year
-RAM heavy update for all pickup lines coming 2018

*Please remember FCA can't launch a vehicle on time to save it's life...these are aggressive timelines.
**Surprised Dodge is keeping the Dart, but the inclusion of the Chrysler 100 maintains that it will be the volume model.

Last edited by TangoRed; 05-06-14 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-06-14, 10:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

AWD Dart SRT

Grand Wagoneer is taking forever

Alfa Romeo looks busy
Old 05-07-14, 02:15 PM
Hoovey689

Marchionne: Midsize pickup still not in the cards; Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler could use aluminum

During the Fiat-Chrysler briefings on Tuesday, Reid Bigland, head of Ram Trucks, outlined the new product plans for his brand, including confirmation that an all-new light-duty Ram 1500 will launch in 2017. From there, discussions spun off in two directions, with the main questions being: will Ram build a midsize pickup? And, following Ford's move to extensively use aluminum in its new 2015 F-150, will Chrysler be using this weight-saving material for the next round of its fullsize truck, as well?

"I think there is room for a Ram 1000," Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne (pictured above) told members of the media, saying this is a conversation the automaker has been having internally for several years now. "We've tried this ... we've actually taken it to clinics," Marchionne stated, adding that the "response has been lukewarm."

Bigland echoed Marchionne's thoughts, saying that, in theory, a midsize pickup in the NAFTA region (North America and Canada) makes sense. That said, with the company's new plans to consolidate platforms, such a vehicle would have to be unibody – not body-on-frame, like most pickups. And when asked about a Wrangler pickup – something enthusiasts would enjoy, and something that Jeep has considered before – Marchionne, along with Jeep head Michael Manley, said there are no plans to produce such a vehicle at this time.

Moving to the question of aluminum, Marchionne said that Fiat-Chrysler still has reservations about using this metal in the creation of its next Ram 1500, and that the company will be watching the F-150 launch very closely. Should the F-150 prove to be hugely successful, Marchionne said Ram is ready to respond – "if it's the right answer, Chrysler will be there."

Interestingly, the CEO remarked on several occasions that aluminum would be used elsewhere in the Fiat-Chrysler portfolio. And when asked if there's a better use of aluminum than with the new Jeep Wrangler, Marchionne very bluntly responded, "No." A Wrangler with aluminum components? Color us intrigued.

"We can do aluminum in '17," Marchionne said, regarding the Ram 1500. But every time the lightweight metal was brought up, he simply reminded us, "I have better use of aluminum in this house than a pickup truck."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/07/m...gler-aluminum/
Old 05-07-14, 02:17 PM
Hoovey689

"We can do aluminum in '17," Marchionne said, regarding the Ram 1500. But every time the lightweight metal was brought up, he simply reminded us, "I have better use of aluminum in this house than a pickup truck."
best quote
Old 05-07-14, 05:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Am I reading their product plan right? The death of the Caravan, aka "The Minivan" only to be carried on by the Town & Country? Big opportunity for Toyota and Honda here...
Old 05-07-14, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Am I reading their product plan right? The death of the Caravan, aka "The Minivan" only to be carried on by the Town & Country? Big opportunity for Toyota and Honda here...
Agreed, but one could also say the new Kia Sedona might be bothersome to the segment leaders as well regardless of one less entry. This new one appears to be serious business. Is it weird that I'm excited for a mini-van shootout?
Old 05-07-14, 06:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ The new Sedona looks polished and refined. I just hope reliability will be improved. I've known some owners who had electrical problems galore and would not buy another Sedona.

So the Big Three no more in the mass-market minivan segment (save for the "luxury" T&C). Up here in Canada, you can get a Grand Caravan for dirt cheap usually "on special" starting at $18,995 and nicely equipped (Stow 'n Go, power everything, rear DVD, etc) for a cheap $22K. Add $10K for a similarly equipped Sienna or Odyssey. The Caravan is still a hot seller at that price, but the Journey, for about the same price has been gaining ground and has been the best cross-over seller in Canada the last couple years.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-07-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i really wish they can execute on their plan... but Fiat is so terrible at doing that.

Their plans for Alfa sound exciting... although they seem to be doing opposite of everyone else (upsizing instead of downsizing). I hope that "Ferrari" leadership will help them out.

Their plans for Fiat... what can be said about Fiat? Its bread and butter vehicle will get redesign after 11 years.
Old 05-07-14, 06:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i really wish they can execute on their plan... but Fiat is so terrible at doing that.

Their plans for Alfa sound exciting... although they seem to be doing opposite of everyone else (upsizing instead of downsizing). I hope that "Ferrari" leadership will help them out.

Their plans for Fiat... what can be said about Fiat? Its bread and butter vehicle will get redesign after 11 years.
They actually haven't been doing too bad. The timing has been off for sure, but they've delivered the product.

Honda and Toyota have higher starting prices though. I guarantee the T&C will drop in price to pick up the bottom end when the GC is phased out. They've done it before.
Old 05-07-14, 07:03 PM
Hoovey689

^^^ The new Sedona looks polished and refined. I just hope reliability will be improved. I've known some owners who had electrical problems galore and would not buy another Sedona.

So the Big Three no more in the mass-market minivan segment (save for the "luxury" T&C). Up here in Canada, you can get a Grand Caravan for dirt cheap usually "on special" starting at $18,995 and nicely equipped (Stow 'n Go, power everything, rear DVD, etc) for a cheap $22K. Add $10K for a similarly equipped Sienna or Odyssey. The Caravan is still a hot seller at that price, but the Journey, for about the same price has been gaining ground and has been the best cross-over seller in Canada the last couple years.
Cant' say I'd buy one either, but it looks to be a massive improvement over the outgoing model.

I remember the original Journey, yikes. New one is well echos my Sedona comment
Old 05-07-14, 07:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They actually haven't been doing too bad. The timing has been off for sure, but they've delivered the product.
Fiat has been doing terribly... if they didnt purchase Chrysler, they would probably be gone by now.
Alfa is selling almost no cars, Lancia is gone.

Their mainstream vehicles received no effort at all in past few years and by the time they get replacement they will be 10-11 years old (B/C - Punto/Bravo).

They released 500, 500l and Panda in past 6 years.

Due to darth of new models in Europe, their sales went from 1m in 2009 to 0.56m in 2013.

No wonder WSJ reports investors being left cold with the plan.
Old 05-07-14, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

grand cherokee getting refreshed again next year?

edit: see it's projected as q4 on page 16 of this neat presentation
http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...Jeep_Brand.pdf

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-07-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 08:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Fiat has been doing terribly... if they didnt purchase Chrysler, they would probably be gone by now.
Alfa is selling almost no cars, Lancia is gone.

Their mainstream vehicles received no effort at all in past few years and by the time they get replacement they will be 10-11 years old (B/C - Punto/Bravo).

They released 500, 500l and Panda in past 6 years.

Due to darth of new models in Europe, their sales went from 1m in 2009 to 0.56m in 2013.

No wonder WSJ reports investors being left cold with the plan.
You said execute against their plan, which they've done. Build (or even maintain) the brand is another thing. Their 5-year plan moving forward Fiat won't be getting much (at least in the U.S.) over the next 5 years...so count on that to continue. You should read this article that speaks to Fiat's "managed decline;" some analysts agree with the strategy: http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...fiat-in-europe

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
grand cherokee getting refreshed again next year?

edit: see it's projected as q4 on page 16 of this neat presentation
http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/...Jeep_Brand.pdf
I'm confused as well, and for once have no idea what's coming...maybe it'll be the DI/turbo'd Pentastar engines that are in the pipeline. Hemi might also see updates. I doubt it'll be heavily cosmetic.

Last edited by TangoRed; 05-07-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 04:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You said execute against their plan, which they've done.
no, they just stated their plan, they did not execute it.

as to their previous plans:

“On paper, that’s the right strategy,” said an analyst who asked not to be named because his bank works for Fiat. “The question for us is execution.”

Marchionne’s record is mixed on that front. Fiat Chrysler stumbled badly when it re-badged Lancia models as Chryslers in Europe.

The re-badged Chrysler 300 sold only 2,229 cars as the Lancia Thema in Europe last year, compared to an annual target of 10,000 to 12,000 units. The Chrysler Town & Country in its Lancia Voyager incarnation managed just 3,436 sales in Europe last year, down from 5,025 in 2012 and well below a target of 15,000. And then there’s the Lancia Flavia: this re-badged Chrysler 200 managed just 462 sales in 2013, down from 534 in 2012, according to figures from JATO Dynamics.
Old 05-08-14, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Default Share price falls on skepticism of Chrysler-Fiat five-year plan

Following this week's Fiat Chrysler extravaganza, where the Italian-American manufacturer announced its plans for the next five years, the Autoblog staff was cautiously optimistic of the company's future. Investors? Not so much.

Fiat saw its shares tumble 12 percent in Wednesday's trading, falling from 8.67 euros ($12.06 at today's rates) to 7.44 euros ($10.35) as of this writing, with blame partly going to the Italian half of the FCA marriage, which recorded a pretty significant drop in profits during the first quarter of this year.

The plan, which will cost around $77 billion over the next several years, is facing criticism from investors thanks in part to a 1.4-percent drop in Fiat's first-quarter profits, to 622 million euros ($862 million). That figure is also short of Bloomberg analysts' projections, which predicted $1.18 billion in profits before taxes, interest and one-time items.

"If you start your 2014-2018 plan with an extremely weak quarter, nobody will give you the credit that you will achieve your targets," Jens Schattner, a Frankfurt-based automotive analyst told Bloomberg. "If it was so easy just to launch new products to be successful in this industry, why wouldn't everybody do exactly the same."

Some of the concerns are even simpler, though.

"These brands need a huge amount of work to get where they need to be. The world changes very slowly and you have brands at the bottom of the pile in many regions. It's not going to happen overnight," said Harald Hendrikse, a London-based analyst for Nomura Holdings.

Alfa Romeo and Maserati are perhaps the biggest points of concern, each brand facing its fair share of struggles over the years. Marchionne's goal of dramatically increasing sales (over five-fold for Alfa and nearly as much for Maserati) before 2018 is a particularly big point of contention.

"The aspiration is big but the questions are bigger," said Erik Gordon, a business professor at the University of Michigan. "Can Fiat do enough to turn Alfa into a big, profitable brand? Are there enough Maserati buyers to make Fiat a global player?"

While we like what we saw earlier this week in Auburn Hills, it seems fairly clear that there will be a number of bumps in the road along the way. Whether the analysts' concerns end up being correct, though, remains to be seen.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/08/f...-falls-report/