Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 08:35 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
One of my own:

14. When turning right, move all the way into the right turn lane.

Some streets are equipped with right hand turn lanes. This is a convenience for those who are not turning right, as it means that they can continue without stopping. Many of the mouth-breathers on the road don't understand this, and often stick out into the next lane. This completely defies the purpose of the turn lane, and forces traffic to slow down to a near stop while you complete your turn.
Adding to this. Even if there is no dedicated turn lane, it is OKAY to go all the way towards the curb if there is an empty street with no parked cars, bus lanes, whatever. Don't force all the cars following you to slow down as you turn from the actual lane!
Old 05-16-14, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ My bad, missed it in Hoovey's original post.
No problem...like I said, twice is better than none.

Right after the last ice storm we had this past December, that exact thing happened to me. A sheet of ice flew off the roof of the car ahead and into my RX. The impact was so big, the bumper got a small but deep scratch (visible to the black plastic) and the rest landed on our windshield. For a brief but critical moment, we were blind. Thankfully, no other cars were around and after a few wipes, windshield cleared.
In my state, BTW, (Virginia), police have the authority to write a ticket if they see snow or ice falling off a moving car. That's why I often help my neighbors clean their cars off after snowstorms. A lot of people apparently aren't aware of that law....particularly those with high-topped minivans/SUVs where it can be difficult to reach parts of the roof.
Old 05-16-14, 10:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
One of my own:

14. When turning right, move all the way into the right turn lane.

Some streets are equipped with right hand turn lanes. This is a convenience for those who are not turning right, as it means that they can continue without stopping. Many of the mouth-breathers on the road don't understand this, and often stick out into the next lane. This completely defies the purpose of the turn lane, and forces traffic to slow down to a near stop while you complete your turn.
That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. There is simply no other explanation of hogging two lanes to make one turn other than pure selfishness. *I am so important, I don't need to think of other drivers.* In addition, a similar move is when people are waiting in the center divider or left hand turn lane to make their u-turn and they pull back out into the fast lane to gain more turning radius. This is regardless of whether someone is in that fast lane. The mentality is once again, * I am so important, I dont' need to think about other cars and running into their lane.*

I'll add a relative new one that started up in the last ten years or so: People who drive without their headlights on at night. This is becoming wildly popular here in L.A. by females and mothers. Yes, your modern Lexus and Honda Accord's interior dash lights are always on giving the impression your headlights are on, but that doesn't mean you don't have to turn on the exterior lights! How many miles can these people drive before realizing the road ahead is completely unlit? Answer: A LONG LONG WAY! Buy a clue! There's a reason when you can't see where you are going..... your damn headlights are off you nimwits!

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-16-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 10:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Glad we're enjoying this thread. I've updated the OP with you're guy's 'amendments'

I'd like to add:

19. Don't use your windshield wipers with someone directly behind you! - Some Subaru did this. I don't think it was in spite more of an accident wasn't paying attention. I had just detailed the car and I went after him in a bit of rage (was going to do the same to him) but lucky for him traffic got heavy and I couldn't retaliate. 'Take it Easy - Eagles' came on and I gave up pursuit.

20. Headlamp out? Fix it ASAP - Often at night it can be confused for a motorcycle and messes with vision

21. Street Racing - Seems cool, but can you live with the repercussions..
Old 05-16-14, 11:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Peds should not be left out of this. They are HUGE offenders. People think just because they step foot on the pavement anywhere other than in a crosswalk, all traffic has to stop for them. Nooooooo... you don't cross or j-walk until it's clear, just like how a car has to yield to others. While the law protects peds in most situations, it's a garantee of getting run over. People will not stop.
On a related note, peds who j-walk when there's a crosswalk 100 feet away. Lazy. I live next to a college and this happens all day long.
Lastly, bikers who use up the entire slow lane. I'm sorry, but you are asking for it. Get your azz over against the parked cars and curb, where you aren't vulnerable to moving cars.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-16-14 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 12:14 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22) big pet peeve of mine.... I don't care about your fancy drl's, how about you turn on your dam headlights at night! /rant

23) Euro cars, why are your rear fog lights on in clear weather, turn those bright red lights off! /rant #2
Old 05-17-14, 12:18 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you drive at or below speed limit on the highway, MOVE OVER! I have seen so many people drive below limit and stays at fast lane. They are the reason for traffic jam! >
Old 05-17-14, 01:20 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkyat
22) big pet peeve of mine.... I don't care about your fancy drl's, how about you turn on your dam headlights at night! /rant
At night, DRL lights alone are not enough. Headlights need to be on as well (i.e. common knowledge)

But as for this:

23) Euro cars, why are your rear fog lights on in clear weather, turn those bright red lights off! /rant #2
I keep my fog lamps on at night...........since there's no law on fog lamp usage here in the Philippines.

In Europe however, it really is not advisable to on your fog lamps at night.........if there's no fog to begin with.

Dunno if there are fog lamp laws in America though....

Originally Posted by chikoo
Ban red turn signals. Confuses me whether the car ahead of me is pumping brakes or actually trying to turn.
The worst offenders are the Ford Expedition and those General Motors SUVs that share the brake lights with the turn signal lights.

Cost cutting to the max
Old 05-17-14, 03:36 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving in California is utopia compared to Sydney.

Sydney Is simply unacceptable. The infrastructure was designed when the population was 500,000. Now it's 7 million with the same road and road sizes. LOL

Last edited by yowps3; 05-17-14 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 04:20 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Way back in the late eighties I met a couple of guys from the US on Harleys, at our favourite bike hangout. They said to me: " Your roads are from heaven, but your drivers are from hell". Well, those same roads are still here, just never been maintained or added to by the new government. But we have a new demon and that's the guy in the Toyota Hilux pickup truck who believes its a Ferrari, speeding up to follow a millimeter behind you to indicate that you should get out of the way, despite that there's nowhere to go. Luckily the RX350 can leave them far behind if the road clears.
It is not some idiot who doesn't know how to drive that irritates me, it is the guy who thinks he is in the school yard, where weight counts to bully the other kids. So if I start posting from my jail cel, you will know I snapped.

In the US, you still have real cops (appreciate them while you can) and the US is most probably the world's most car friendly country. Well- disciplined traffic has much to do with the culture of the people in a country, lots of decent people in the US and that can really make a road trip pleasant.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-17-14 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 04:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
Driving in California is utopia compared to Sydney.

Sydney Is simply unacceptable. The infrastructure was designed when the population was 500,000. Now it's 7 million with the same road and road sizes. LOL
In fairness, the ANZAC bridge is really nice =)

With that said
I think Melbourne, Victoria is doing quite well in terms of road infrastructure.

Heck, I even heard most of my friends who drove in Australia told me that it was a fun experience driving along TULLAMARINE HIGHWAY

P.S.
On another note, you should join Skyscrapercity (especially the Highways and Autobahns thread) =)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...434396&page=50

Last edited by Blackraven; 05-17-14 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 07:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could probably come up with a list of 100 or more...
Old 05-17-14, 07:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not Paying Attention to Whether Your Lights Are ON. You need to turn your headlights on in fog, heavy rain, heavy snow and other road conditions; and at dusk (manually if you have auto headlights). Also, just because your speedometer is illuminated, it doesn't mean your headlights are ON. I see so many people that don't know/realize this basic safety measure. Every night, at dusk (even in pitch darkness sometimes) I see some bone head driving around clueless that their headlights aren't on. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can't realize that the road in front of them isn't illuminated and they don't know their lights aren't on.
Old 05-17-14, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

I'll add a relative new one that started up in the last ten years or so: People who drive without their headlights on at night.
Agreed they should be on at night (which, in most states, is legally defined as a half hour after sundown to a half-hour before sunrise). But, even if they aren't, today's large cities/urban areas are so well lit up at night that headlights often don't really add that much, except in bad weather.
Old 05-17-14, 08:50 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

25. "4x4 will always save me in the snow"

F*** you. No it won't. SUV and truck owners are some of the most dangerous people I see in a snow storm. I see them slipping and sliding everywhere, almost running into me. LEARN TO DRIVE.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes