Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 07:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....even sitting on the left side of the car, I don't have that problem, but if you do, I guess I'll take your word for it.
Oh yes Mike. You do. Everyone has the problem. Next time try taking a right hand exit, and try looking at the left hand side of the car in front of you to ascertain if that car is braking or not.

Note: I will not be held responsible for the damage you cause in this experiment.
Old 05-19-14, 09:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

How about when someone comes up to a red light and stops about 2-4 cars lengths too soon, leaving a huge gap between them and the intersection? This is so dangerous, as the people slowing behind them have to shockingly react to their stopping too soon. What really gets me is their thinking once they are stopped and all other lanes next to them are also stopped- but pulled right up to the crosswalk where everyone else should be. Don't they see all the cars around them are lined up much further ahead of them? How can they not see they stopped several car lengths too soon when the entire intersection stopped differently? Just blows my mind, what different world they are living in to not see what they just did. The worst part about this is they law actually protects them because if you rear-end someone, it's usually your fault for not anticipating sudden changes. Of course, I'd sue their azz in court for wreckless driving and stopping short. I believe there's a line or two in the rulebook saying if you make some sort of bad move, the person who rear-ends you is not liable.
Old 05-20-14, 05:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Oh yes Mike. You do. Everyone has the problem. Next time try taking a right hand exit, and try looking at the left hand side of the car in front of you to ascertain if that car is braking or not.

Note: I will not be held responsible for the damage you cause in this experiment.
I don't like the red turn signals either, but I don't follow the car in front of me so closely that I can't see both left and right tail lens. If you can only see one, either you are too close, or you have bad peripheral vision...
Old 05-20-14, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't like the red turn signals either, but I don't follow the car in front of me so closely that I can't see both left and right tail lens. If you can only see one, either you are too close, or you have bad peripheral vision...
Once again (respectfully) I have to agree with tex.
Old 05-20-14, 09:01 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed....I can always see both lights.

Not that Las Vegans use their turn signals anyway.
Old 05-20-14, 12:16 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree on that too. I keep 2-3 car lengths space on a daily driving basis. Quite often people findthat enough to sneak in, and I push even further back. But when traffic backs up, it backs up quite fast on the TX highways. In a normal routine day I could care less if the turn signals were green or even blown out. But when you are in caught in a situation, and let us also assume you have your spouse who is trying to say something at that time. You rely upon the signals you see to guide you to make quick decisions. That is the time when these red turn signals are the worst nightmare.

Bad vision. What the .... I have never had an accident in my 25 years of driving. Bad vision...

You are NOT in my situation and you do not want to understand the situation I am conveying. Oh well/.
Here is one such exit.

Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes-r8ycdrm.jpg

Last edited by chikoo; 05-20-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 12:21 PM
LexFather

I think it is ridiculous that people towing things/moving or have a truck filled with stuff driving in the fast lane. They go slow and it blocks the view. They should follow the same laws as 18 wheelers.

Old 05-20-14, 12:29 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

So when you see the right light blinking, you see all 3 blinking at the same time, while you are still focused on taking the right exit, and if you were following good driving etiquette, you are supposed to be looking in the direction you intend to go, and not everywhere else.

cool.
Old 05-20-14, 12:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I think it is ridiculous that people towing things/moving or have a truck filled with stuff driving in the fast lane. They go slow and it blocks the view. They should follow the same laws as 18 wheelers.
FWIW, when I'm towing, I drive as fast as I do when I'm not

Of course, I only use the fast lane to pass.
Old 05-20-14, 01:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So when you see the right light blinking, you see all 3 blinking at the same time, while you are still focused on taking the right exit, and if you were following good driving etiquette, you are supposed to be looking in the direction you intend to go, and not everywhere else.

cool.
I agree on that too. I keep 2-3 car lengths space on a daily driving basis. Quite often people findthat enough to sneak in, and I push even further back. But when traffic backs up, it backs up quite fast on the TX highways. In a normal routine day I could care less if the turn signals were green or even blown out. But when you are in caught in a situation, and let us also assume you have your spouse who is trying to say something at that time. You rely upon the signals you see to guide you to make quick decisions. That is the time when these red turn signals are the worst nightmare.

Bad vision. What the .... I have never had an accident in my 25 years of driving. Bad vision...

You are NOT in my situation and you do not want to understand the situation I am conveying. Oh well/.
Here is one such exit.

You are right--I'm not really clear on what you are saying. I just see a highway exit.

However, you have made it clear that the red turn signals are a problem for your driving in certain circumstances. I can't say it isn't a problem--I'm not in your situation.

But I think, for that reason, you owe the other CL members here the same courtesy, when they say that they don't have similar problems. It's a problem for you; it's not a problem for me. That's what makes horse racing...let's all just get along...

Last edited by tex2670; 05-20-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 02:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

lol...

I will keep trying to make this clear(er). The exit you see up there is a ramp to another highway (hwy75) from the toll road (I-190). In rush hour, the traffic is doing 70mph, and the ones who want to take the right exit to the hwy75 are in the same lane as the one going straight on I-190. Right when you are close to the exit (crossed triangle), and are on the exit to hwy75, and you see red lights flashing from the car ahead of you, but is probably going straight on I-190, you have a moment of doubt. Is that car trying to cut into and get into the exit lane or just pumping its brakes because of traffic ahead in its lane?

Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes-fckvhns.jpg

Last edited by chikoo; 05-20-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Many highways have specific signs on them telling truckers to keep right....especially on long uphill grades where they often have to downshift a number of gears and can't keep up with the regular flow of traffic.
Old 05-20-14, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

lol...

I will keep trying to make this clear(er). The exit you see up there is a ramp to another highway (hwy75) from the toll road (I-190). In rush hour, the traffic is doing 70mph, and the ones who want to take the right exit to the hwy75 are in the same lane as the one going straight on I-190. Right when you are close to the exit (crossed triangle), and are on the exit to hwy75, and you see red lights flashing from the car ahead of you, but is probably going straight on I-190, you have a moment of doubt. Is that car trying to cut into and get into the exit lane or just pumping its brakes because of traffic ahead in its lane?
OK....under those conditions, theoretically, it's possible, but to really cause confusion, the driver would have to be tapping his brake at or close to the exact frequency of that turn-signal flash, which, most of the time, would be unlikely.
Old 05-20-14, 06:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Yet another pet peeve- Buses and trucks that use the carpool lane. Their wake and wind force kicks up all the accumulated gravel and debris between them and the center wall. Most pitting and window chips happen from being behind this.
Old 05-20-14, 11:55 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

I bet you don't have the Einsteins we have, who activate their hazards when there's a downpour, while still maintaining their normal speed. Of course this nullifies the ability of indicating a turn. Well, some operate the hazards for no reason at all, while on the run. Actually against the law to activate the hazards while moving, but nobody loses sleep over the law anyway.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Driving Etiquette Mistakes