Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automaker Factory Workers Uniforms

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Please tell me you don't think there really are people employed by Porsche to push cars out of doorways all day long?

They're wearing gloves to stop fingerprints appearing on polished surfaces.
I agree that your explanation makes sense. But it could also be a case, though, of killing two birds with one stone. That's why I said in my post that the comment was only a wild guess of mine...not necessarily fact. True, there are some things I don't know about how the Porsche plants are run.....I've never been to one. But it is a fact that some automotive paint processes can emit some toxic substances (in small amounts) until the paint cures. It's also a fact that Porsche is a fairly low-volume manufacturer, so anyone who was so-employed (if that was the case) wouldn't be pushing the same number of cars out the door a , say, a Camry or Accord plant.
Old 05-20-14, 11:14 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that your explanation makes sense. But it could also be a case, though, of killing two birds with one stone. That's why I said in my post that the comment was only a wild guess of mine...not necessarily fact. True, there are some things I don't know about how the Porsche plants are run.....I've never been to one. But it is a fact that some automotive paint processes can emit some toxic substances (in small amounts) until the paint cures. It's also a fact that Porsche is a fairly low-volume manufacturer, so anyone who was so-employed (if that was the case) wouldn't be pushing the same number of cars out the door a , say, a Camry or Accord plant.
Yes, but where would they be pushing them to; the storage lot a mile down the road, onto car transporters, all the way to the customers' homes?
Old 05-20-14, 11:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

And when you think about it, is it feasible to tie up four workers just to push each car out the door?
Old 05-20-14, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAndy

Yes, but where would they be pushing them to; the storage lot a mile down the road, onto car transporters, all the way to the customers' homes?
Most likely to the nearest employee whose job it (then) is to get in the car, start it, and drive it a short distance to either the plant's parking-lot or to the truck/transporter/train waiting to take it to the dealer or cargo ship. But I agree with you that your earlier explanation about the oil/dirt on the hands makes sense....I'd bet that is a strong possibility.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
And when you think about it, is it feasible to tie up four workers just to push each car out the door?
Not for a typical mass-produced car, but Porsches don't cost normal $$$$$, and they can afford to spend those $$$$$ at the plant. For instance, look at the workers in the Toyota, Ford, and jeep photos.......you won't see any fine-gloves on their hands like that.

Anyhow, no need to keep rehashing it......Like I said earlier, Big Andy is (probably) correct with his opinion that it is to keep the oil and dirt on the workers' hands from smudging brand-new paint.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 02:58 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol man oh man.