Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Does Your Car Color Say About You?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 06:04 PM
LexFather

Wink

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It was just an article to open up discussion on favorite car colors. I'll try to clarify better in the OP next time.

My 'picks' for example were based on the articles template of here's the color now choose a car that does that color well

ex.
I don't know what the issue is. It's simply an article and opinion.

Old 05-22-14, 06:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm surprised they found something positive to say about gold.

FWIW, I think Starfire Pearl is one of the best pearl whites of all time. Most other pearl whites don't have enough pearl in them to make them worth being different from a regular white.

Still loving and getting comments on my Glacier Frost Mica after all these years.

New Lexus Ultra Blue is going to make some waves if it goes into production. It's everything Ultrasonic Blue is, but without the purple tinge (as far as I can see).
Old 05-22-14, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

cadillac has done a diamond pearl type color for decades which is really great.
Old 05-22-14, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cadillac has done a diamond pearl type color for decades which is really great.
Cadillac, Audi, and Infiniti essentially perfected the low-gloss Pearl-White color, which (like purple for non-luxury cars) is probably my favorite color for luxury cars.

What color was your Miata, BTW? I don't remember you sharing that with us. In its first decade, Mazda did a number of limited-production, Special-Edition models in various different shades.....including, of course, the obligatory British Racing Green.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-14 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 07:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My first car was bought right off the lot so I did not "select" that silver colour.

My next car was traded with another dealer (no Camrys at my dealer at the time), so I was asked what colour I wanted. I said that I would take any colour as long as it was not white nor black.

The colours of my next 4 cars were selected based upon the interior colour. Since there were basically only 3 interior colour choices on Canadian Toyotas, and I do not like black and I find the grey was horribly dull and old, I really had no choice but the beige interior. That choice really, really limited by exterior colour choices to Gold (or Beige, depending on your frame of mind) and occasionally some shade of green: I have had a dark green, a light green and two golds.

Another rule I had was that I would try to stay away from bright, "look-at-me" colours (not difficult if I limited by choice of interior colour). But as I grow older, my disdain for bright colours seems to be fading somewhat. I may be willing to consider a bright colour (red or yellow) for my next car.

That said, the colour of my next car may again be selected by selecting the interior colour (since Canadian Toyotas do not offer may options of bright colours). But the new grey interiors seem to be looking better than the old grey interiors, so my choice of exterior colours may be greater.
Old 05-22-14, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I said that I would take any colour as long as it was not white nor black.
Probably a wise move, considering that white and black are generally the two hardest colors to take care of and keep clean. Black is also hotter then h*** in the summertime. The hardest colors for a body shop to match after an accident or repainting, though, are silver and the light metallics....especially light metallic blue.
Old 05-22-14, 08:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish i had Dark-Blue, I like black tho, could never go wrong with black it gets a lil boring tho at times.

I could never drive a green color car, I dont know why i just dislike it on cars. Lol

Last edited by Joey-E; 05-22-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 08:10 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Wish i had Dark-Blue, I like black tho, could never go wrong with black it gets a lil boring tho at times.

I could never drive a green color car, I dont know why i just dislike it on cars. Lol
Agreed, for the most part, about the green. However, the Ford Super Duty is currently offered in Green Gem which does not look bad with the caribou accent on the King Ranch model.

This, btw, was my first car. Hideous as all get out. I liked the car, as it was fun to drive, but I did not pick it(my choice would have been a simple red and with a v8).

Old 05-23-14, 09:34 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like white/pearl. I think they really standout at night too.
Old 05-23-14, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Cadillac, Audi, and Infiniti essentially perfected the low-gloss Pearl-White color, which (like purple for non-luxury cars) is probably my favorite color for luxury cars..
You wouldn't add Lexus to that list? I think Lexus has always had great pearl white shades, and that their cars have always looked great in pearl white.

Our 98 LS was silver, but the two toned pearl white on that car was my favorite:

I also thought all generations of the ES, GS, SC all looked great in pearl white.
Old 05-23-14, 01:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You wouldn't add Lexus to that list? I think Lexus has always had great pearl white shades, and that their cars have always looked great in pearl white.

Our 98 LS was silver, but the two toned pearl white on that car was my favorite:

I also thought all generations of the ES, GS, SC all looked great in pearl white.
I will go so far and say Lexus is the first or really the first to push pearl white to the forefront. Even today many luxury brands sell a flat white with no pearl.

Back in 89/early 90s the pearl white Lexus LS/ES/SC always stuck with me as an amazing color and others quickly followed.

Old 05-23-14, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Yep I agree...

In fact, the1990 LS400 brochure (which I still have) featured the car in pearl white. The ES250 was marketed in pearl white too if I remember correctly.
Old 05-23-14, 04:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I will go so far and say Lexus is the first or really the first to push pearl white to the forefront. Even today many luxury brands sell a flat white with no pearl.

Back in 89/early 90s the pearl white Lexus LS/ES/SC always stuck with me as an amazing color and others quickly followed.
That was the color I was looking for when I originally bought my LS. I couldn't find one locally that was in the condition/price range I was looking for however.

So I ended up with my burgundy, which I had been trying to avoid because my mother had the exact same car.
Old 05-23-14, 05:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

All this talk about the original LS makes me think about how much I loved the two tone look with the gray bottom. Black/gray my favorite on the LS.

Where's stainless steel, chrome, and the multi-reflective color paint in the list and what does that say about the owner???

Old 05-23-14, 06:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
All this talk about the original LS makes me think about how much I loved the two tone look with the gray bottom. Black/gray my favorite on the LS.

Where's stainless steel, chrome, and the multi-reflective color paint in the list and what does that say about the owner???

Chrome? Makes you Justin Bieber.

Quick Reply: What Does Your Car Color Say About You?