Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Infiniti QX50 and QX70 Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2015 Infiniti QX50 and QX70 Changes

It was always easy to chuckle a bit at Infiniti's branding of its FX crossover as a "bionic cheetah" – until you drove the thing. It was something of a revelation when it came on the market in late 2002 – certainly visually, but also in terms of performance, particularly in V8 guise. The Porsche Cayenne burst on the scene at the same time, and between the two of them, they vividly illustrated that the idea of a performance utility vehicle wasn't the oxymoron it first appeared to be.

Now in its second generation and recently rebranded QX70, Infiniti's Acinonyx Venator is back for 2015, but it's losing some teeth – last year's 390-horsepower, 5.0-liter V8 will no longer be available, leaving the 325-hp, 3.7-liter V6 to soldier on as the model's sole powerplant.

But don't despair, sports (utility) fans, the 2015 QX70 still promises to be an entertaining drive. Kyle Bazemore, Infiniti's senior manager of communications, tells Autoblog, "We've taken the equipment that was only available on the V8 and made it available on the V6 for the first time." Those features come as part of an option pack that includes 21-inch dark-finish alloys with matching exterior highlights, paddle shifters, heated and cooled front sport seats and adaptive lighting.

So why no more eight-cylinder models? Bazemore says that "The vast majority [of sales] were V6s. The V8 was a low percentage, so we decided to focus on the V6." The shift to the 3.7-liter should also help Infiniti somewhat with its Corporate Average Fuel Economy goals, as it achieves up to 17 miles per gallon city and 24 highway, versus last year's all-wheel-drive only V8 model and its 14/20 ratings. And as Bazemore reminded us, the QX70 was the only application for the 5.0L, making it an even tougher sell in the boardroom. We've always had a soft spot for this particular Infiniti V8 and its burly soundtrack, but the automaker's logic is hard to fault.
Official Press:

Infiniti announces U.S. pricing for 2015 QX70 luxury SUV and 2015 QX50 luxury crossover

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Infiniti today announced U.S. pricing for the 2015 Infiniti QX70 and QX50, which are on sale now at Infiniti retailers nationwide. The 2015 Infiniti QX70 is offered in 3.7-liter V6-equipped rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models, and with a new sportier exterior and interior look added as part of a new Sport Package.

The 2015 Infiniti QX50 adds Bluetooth Hands-free Phone as a standard feature on the base models. It continues most of the $2,500 price reduction from the 2014 model year (base models increase $150), keeping the Infiniti QX50 as one of the best values in the segment.

2015 Infiniti QX70

The Infiniti QX70, Infiniti's iconic performance crossover, continues to embody all things Infiniti – premium design, craftsmanship, performance and innovative technology. For 2015, the QX70 is offered in two models – QX70 3.7 and QX70 3.7 AWD.

Also available are four special equipment packages: Premium Package, Deluxe Touring Package, Technology Package and a new Sport Package, which offers unique dark finish exterior accents, 21-inch dark finish aluminum-alloy wheels, Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) and climate-controlled front sport seats.

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP)* for the 2015 Infiniti QX70 are:
Model
Engine/Drive
MSRP
QX70
3.7-liter V6 / RWD
$45,850 USD
QX70 AWD
3.7-liter V6 / AWD
$47,300 USD
Destination and Handling $995 USD

2015 Infiniti QX50

The 2015 Infiniti QX50 combines a sleek, sculpted, elegant exterior design, exhilarating driving performance and an engaging interior environment. It is offered in four models: QX50, QX50 AWD, QX50 Journey and QX50 AWD Journey, each offering a 325-horsepower 3.7-liter V6 and 7-speed automatic transmission. QX50 AWD models feature Infiniti's Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system and heated front seats.
Three special equipment packages are also offered: Premium Package, Deluxe Touring Package and Technology Package.
The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP)* for the 2015 Infiniti QX50 are:
Model
Engine/Drive
MSRP
QX50
3.7-liter V6 / RWD
$35,000 USD
QX50 AWD
3.7-liter V6 / AWD
$36,400 USD
QX50 Journey
3.7-liter V6 / RWD
$37,200 USD
QX50 AWD Journey
3.7-liter V6 / AWD
$38,600 USD
Destination and Handling $995 USD

For full information on the 2015 Infiniti QX70 and QX50, please go to InfinitiNews.com.

About Infiniti Infiniti Motor Company Ltd. is headquartered in Hong Kong with sales operations in approximately 50 countries. The Infiniti brand was launched in 1989. Its range of premium automobiles is currently built in manufacturing facilities in Japan and the United States. Production in China and Europe will start soon along with the expansion of the brand's portfolio. As the Title Partner and Vehicle Performance Partner of Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Infiniti has a far-reaching technical collaboration with the Formula One team, and Sebastian Vettel, its four-time World Champion driver, serves as Infiniti's Director of Performance.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/i...-2015-pricing/
Old 05-23-14, 05:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Liked these both for a while, but both EX and FX (I'll always think of them that way still for a while) are getting long in the tooth from a styling and materials/fit/finish standpoint. 2016 MY full redesigns?
Old 05-23-14, 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

QX70 was the only application for the 5.0L, making it an even tougher sell in the boardroom
Well cause you did that to yourselves instead of putting it in more models
Old 05-23-14, 06:05 PM
LexFather

No V-8!?!? So much for that Vettal lineage lol

It's crazy to think infiniti had a small CUV way before everyone else and just completely missed the market. They could have had a huge winner if they got it right.

Old 05-24-14, 02:42 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not liking Infiniti slowly giving up on their V8s. That's not the right long term strategy in my opinion. They should be expanding their engine options, not reducing them. Bad move, especially for the aggressive FX/QX70 (regardless of how few 5.0 models they sell)
Old 05-24-14, 04:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Not liking Infiniti slowly giving up on their V8s. That's not the right long term strategy in my opinion.
while v8's are still available in vehicles out there, buyers and options are getting fewer and fewer thanks to terrible energy policy, over-aggressive EPA and CAFE gun to the car makers' heads, and doubling of gas prices in the past 6 years.

i mean even ford with the best selling f-150 is probably selling more v6's than v8's now.
Old 05-24-14, 09:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while v8's are still available in vehicles out there, buyers and options are getting fewer and fewer thanks to terrible energy policy, over-aggressive EPA and CAFE gun to the car makers' heads, and doubling of gas prices in the past 6 years.

i mean even ford with the best selling f-150 is probably selling more v6's than v8's now.
LOL, more options then ever, more V8s than ever, better V8s than ever. Just because infiniti sucks and can't move anything that leases for more than $299 does not mean anything.
Old 05-24-14, 03:13 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite unfortunate, but knew this already and this has long been expected by everyone anyway. I was shocked when seeing the facelifted Q70 and QX80 last year, that they would keep the 5.6. Aside from my sister's, I can count on my hands how many FX50s I've seen outside of an Infiniti dealership, over the past 5-6 years.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Liked these both for a while, but both EX and FX (I'll always think of them that way still for a while) are getting long in the tooth from a styling and materials/fit/finish standpoint. 2016 MY full redesigns?
For the QX50, yes it will be redesigned for the 2016 model year and it will be evolutionary (design wise). It was delayed from a 2014 launch, when Johan De Nysschen arrived in mid-2012, as were many other models. It is in final development and had its design frozen well over a year ago.

The S52 QX70 might have just been approved recently for the 2017 model year. I believe current QX50 and QX70 have good interior materials and fit & finish (EX35 loaners, sister's '10 FX50), so I'm not sure if you meant the design is just old overall.
Old 05-24-14, 03:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, more options then ever, more V8s than ever, better V8s than ever. Just because infiniti sucks and can't move anything that leases for more than $299 does not mean anything.
I'm going to disagree with this. We're definitely losing more V8's than gaining. Even Mercedes is going to phasing out its V8 choices in some models moving forward.
Old 05-24-14, 06:03 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, more options then ever, more V8s than ever, better V8s than ever.
Better V8s than ever? yes.
More V8s than ever? no.

Originally Posted by Och
Just because infiniti sucks and can't move anything that leases for more than $299 does not mean anything.
Right, cuz the QX80 (5.6l V8) leases for $299/month
Old 05-24-14, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm going to disagree with this. We're definitely losing more V8's than gaining. Even Mercedes is going to phasing out its V8 choices in some models moving forward.
I put the link to the data in another thread, its not that bad, the needle is moving down slightly in regard to V-8 sales but it is not some dramatic drop. V-12 sales are actually forecasted to rise

Let us not forget that the new V-6s are as powerful/more powerful as the old V-8s since they are boosted. So its not like we lost power, just the sound and feel. Just a different way gain power. So lets not let Debbie Downer's fool us into thinking the car is over.

Nissan will have a new V-6 anyway with possible FI for Infiniti. Dropping the V-8 should not be a surprise as in 2012 they announced they were dropping V-8s. The brand does not move the volume to support a 5.0 and a 5.6 V-8 nor a flagship to put them in. The FX 45/50 were truly a niche and special vehicle offering such a large and powerful power plant. Let us also not blame CAFE on it being dropped when the car has been a sales dud for two generations with limited cargo capacity hurting its overall appeal. While it appeals strongly to a few, it is missed by most consumers. I feel the V-8 version will see value drop then level and possibly rise since its really one of a kind here with maybe the X6.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...exec-says.html

Last edited by LexFather; 05-24-14 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-24-14, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Originally Posted by Och
Nope, Och....bitkahuna is correct. V8s are pretty much on the way out in most vehicles except for larger SUVs/pickups and some high-performance cars........and, yes, you can thank the EPA and upcoming CAFE rules for much of that.

And, BTW.........though they aren't necessarily my cup of tea, Infiniti does make some nice products. In general, they deserve more credit than you are willing to give them.
Old 05-24-14, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope, Och....bitkahuna is correct. V8s are pretty much on the way out in most vehicles except for larger SUVs/pickups and some high-performance cars........and, yes, you can thank the EPA and upcoming CAFE rules for much of that.

And, BTW.........though they aren't necessarily my cup of tea, Infiniti does make some nice products. In general, they deserve more credit than you are willing to give them.
Can we please stop hyping this myth that the V-8 is dead when the data shows otherwise? They are not completely going away. Sales are dropping slightly for the V-8, it is not some mass exodus of V-8 sales. That is the REALITY of the situation.

Old 05-24-14, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
V-12 sales are actually forecasted to rise
What's probably going to happen with V12s is that enthusiasts and collectors are going to bite the bullet and grab them up while they are still available. So that will mean a spike in the short run, followed by.............virtually nothing.

History may be repeating itself. I saw the same thing happen in the early 1970s, as a number of people rushed to get new cars that would still run on leaded gas and retain their HP/torque before the engines all became jokes, catalysts forced the use of unleaded fuel, and classic muscle cars became (temporarily) extinct. Then gas shortages and skyrocketing prices caused even more changes. Of course, to be fair, the engine technology we have today didn't exist 40 years ago, and today engineers are better-able to compensate when government starts dictating.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-24-14 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-24-14, 07:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think there's a single case where a relevant car lost V8 option as a result of government dictating. In fact, I can barely think of any car that lost V8 option except the GS and now FX - but that's because they simply couldn't move them in any significant numbers. Other than that, V8s are only getting bigger and badder than ever, with forced induction, DI, etc.

Anyone claiming extinction of V8's needs to drive something from BMW or MB with one of their TT V8s. I don't see those going anywhere anytime soon, only further improve.

Quick Reply: 2015 Infiniti QX50 and QX70 Changes