Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 08:44 AM
LexFather

To their defense the coupe market in the 20-40k range is a hard cookie to crack, dominated by the American brands. The Genesis on paper had many pros going for it, including R-spec packages with Brembos etc.

Going upmarket now is going to be even more tough as things have changed. It used to be a just the 3 series and G35/G37. Now we have
C-class coupe
A5/S5
RC
ATS coupe

Old 06-03-14, 10:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
To their defense the coupe market in the 20-40k range is a hard cookie to crack, dominated by the American brands. The Genesis on paper had many pros going for it, including R-spec packages with Brembos etc.

Going upmarket now is going to be even more tough as things have changed. It used to be a just the 3 series and G35/G37. Now we have
C-class coupe
A5/S5
RC
ATS coupe
Good point

Plus on the lower end, you have tough competition from the likes of the 370Z and others....
Old 06-03-14, 09:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'll bite... when you're trying to break into a market, you often go disruptive, controversial, break the mold, etc. once you're in the market, you often then become more conventional because you don't need to be controversial. mazda, subaru, volvo, and other small players have 'different' offerings to try to stand out in a crowded field. as subaru in particular has become more successful, their vehicles are becoming more conventional, although their product strategy and marketing has been EXCELLENT with a very dedicated and growing following.

it does if the new one won't be as 'funky'.

product marketing always has trade-offs too.
That's a great point. They could be preparing for the next positioning of the Coupe. However, it's a bit odd and definitely rare for an engine to be dropped a year before the model is replaced. Usually that happen during the actual redesign, as to not cause sales confusion. I still believe Hyundai is half-hazard and sloppy with their marketing and business decisions.
Old 08-01-14, 09:30 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe drops the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine

Starts at $26,750

Hyundai has unveiled the 2015 Genesis Coupe in the United States.

Looking virtually identical to its predecessor, the 2015 model gains standard LED daytime running lights. 3.8 R-Spec models also receive automatic climate control and a passive entry system. Additional changes are limited but there are two new base models and the 3.8 Grand Touring has been dropped.

Bigger changes occur under the hood as the turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine - which produced 274 bhp (204 kW) and 275 lb-ft (372 Nm) of torque - has been jettisoned. As a result, the model is available exclusively with a 3.8-liter V6 that develops 348 bhp (259 kW) and 295 lb-ft (399 Nm) of torque. This will enable the coupe to accelerate from 0-60 mph in the "lower five-second range" and hit an electrically limited top speed of 149 mph (239 km/h).

Despite featuring a more powerful engine, Hyundai has managed to keep the model affordable as pricing starts at $26,750. For comparison, the entry-level 2014 Genesis Coupe with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine started at $26,350.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408017...arged-20-liter
Old 08-01-14, 10:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Despite featuring a more powerful engine, Hyundai has managed to keep the model affordable as pricing starts at $26,750. For comparison, the entry-level 2014 Genesis Coupe with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine started at $26,350.
dayamm....nice price.....undercuts the 370Z big time....but I still don't find the car very attractive for some reason.
Old 08-01-14, 11:08 AM
LexFather

Wow very aggressive pricing!!! Very smart.

Old 08-01-14, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Aggressive, but I expect the second gen to be in the 30's if they want to go upscale with it
Old 08-12-14, 12:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai Genesis Coupe could be killed off - report

Could be revived as a BMW 4-Series competitor?

According to a recent report, Hyundai could kill the Genesis Coupe.

Details are limited but Automotive News says the car's future depends on the long-rumored entry-level sports sedan that would battle the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class. That particular model is codenamed IK (or RK) and it hasn't been green-lighted as of yet.

The company is considering a variety of options for both cars and one of them reportedly involves killing off the Genesis Coupe to resurrect it as a coupe variant of the sports sedan. This, in theory, would give the company a BMW 4-Series and Mercedes C-Class Coupe competitor.

Nothing is set in stone but the current Genesis Coupe is expected to stick around for two or three years while the company finalizes their plan.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408127...d-off---report
Old 08-12-14, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

What on earth is Hyundai up too, targeting the 3 and C. They must really be trying this upscale push. Nothing wrong with that, I'm intrigued. But with Kia somewhat pushing too it throws a loop. Say they do a 3/C competitor, should Hyundai even be making the Elantra, Sonata and Azera (considering Kia has Accent, Forte, Optima, Cadenza) when they have the RWD Genesis and Equus. I'll be keeping tabs on this rumor.
Old 08-12-14, 02:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They're doing everything but outright making a Genesis luxury brand, I suppose. I'm actually fine with that for the time being, Hyundai still can't tune a damn suspension to save their life. The Genesis sedan (with Lotus' help) is a good start.
Old 08-12-14, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't sampled the 2Gen version and can't comment on it, but I was stunned when I drove the 1Gen 3.8L Track version. The chassis/steering/powertrain engineering in it was amazing. Except for maybe (?) a slightly stiffer ride, it was the closest thing to the last-generation BMW 335i feel I have ever experienced in a non-BMW nameplate. Blindfolded, I would have been hard-pressed to tell the difference in the driving manners. The main difference, of course, was in the interior, where the Genesis coupe used much cheaper materials than the 3-series. In fact, the Genesis 4-door sedan itself had a far more plush interior then the 1Gen coupe.
Old 08-12-14, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't sampled the 2Gen version and can't comment on it, but I was stunned when I drove the 1Gen 3.8L Track version. The chassis/steering/powertrain engineering in it was amazing. Except for maybe (?) a slightly stiffer ride, it was the closest thing to the last-generation BMW 335i feel I have ever experienced in a non-BMW nameplate. Blindfolded, I would have been hard-pressed to tell the difference in the driving manners. The main difference, of course, was in the interior, where the Genesis coupe used much cheaper materials than the 3-series. In fact, the Genesis 4-door sedan itself had a far more plush interior then the 1Gen coupe.
The common denominator was the name 'Genesis' and the V6, otherwise both were slated for different demographics
Old 08-12-14, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The common denominator was the name 'Genesis' and the V6, otherwise both were slated for different demographics
Yeah, that was obvious. In the sedan, the effort went into interior and trim. In the coupe, it went into chassis/steering and powertrain.

Have you gotten a chance to drive a Genesis Coupe yet, Hoovey? Like I said, I can't directly comment on the 2Gen, but the original one could have done something no other non-BMW (especially from Korea) has ever done before (or since)....fooled me into thinking I was in one.
Old 08-12-14, 03:21 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, that was obvious. In the sedan, the effort went into interior and trim. In the coupe, it went into chassis/steering and powertrain.

Have you gotten a chance to drive a Genesis Coupe yet, Hoovey? Like I said, I can't directly comment on the 2Gen, but the original one could have done something no other non-BMW (especially from Korea) has ever done before (or since)....fooled me into thinking I was in one.
Just to be clear, there is no 2nd Generation of the Genesis Coupe yet. They had a significant refresh for the 2013 model year, but definitely nothing close to a full changeover.

I sampled a pre 2013 Track V6 with 6MT and it was far from refined. Nothing close to what a BMW achieves. The ride was extremely firm and crashed over small imperfections in the road. I liken it to the 2008 Lexus IS F suspension. Supposedly 2013 brought significant upgrades, but I haven't had time to get in one yet, even still, I have my reservations that they could achieve the ride/handling balance that BMW can still muster up, especially in the current M235i. Powertrain was a bit rough at higher RPMs, and the gearbox and clutch weren't smooth to engage. Obviously the Genesis starts at a much lower price, but I find it pretty difficult to fathom how one could equate the Genesis coupe with a BMW. It seemed like the 2010-2012 Genesis coupes were like the 1st gen G35/350Z. A generation behind, a little heavy on the scales, and not super refined in any way.
Old 08-12-14, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Just to be clear, there is no 2nd Generation of the Genesis Coupe yet. They had a significant refresh for the 2013 model year, but definitely nothing close to a full changeover.
That's what I was referring to. Sorry if I was unclear.

I sampled a pre 2013 Track V6 with 6MT and it was far from refined. Nothing close to what a BMW achieves. The ride was extremely firm and crashed over small imperfections in the road.
Yes, the one I sampled was also before these 2013 changes. I had just reviewed a BMW 335i, and the Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track version felt remarkably similar on the road, except for the somewhat firmer ride that you noticed.

I liken it to the 2008 Lexus IS F suspension.
Did you check the tire pressures? Trust me....a LOT of new cars come off the transporters with PSIs WAY over recommendation. They do that to keep soft tires rocking on the transporter from being damaged by the wheel rims. The dealer PDI guys are supposed to bleed them down to the proper PSIs, but, in my experience, about half of the time, they don't. When they don't, the ride is noticeably stiffer (and the steering quicker) than it normally would be.

(That's why I carry a tire gauge and/or double-check the tires on the pressure-sensors before a test-drive).

The 2008 IS-F suspension, before the 2009 retuning, I agree, was one of the harshest I've ever experienced on a regular street-car, along with the Mitsubishi Evo's. The Genesis coupe I drove (with proper PSI's) was quite firm but not in that league.

Supposedly 2013 brought significant upgrades, but I haven't had time to get in one yet, even still, I have my reservations that they could achieve the ride/handling balance that BMW can still muster up, especially in the current M235i. Powertrain was a bit rough at higher RPMs, and the gearbox and clutch weren't smooth to engage. Obviously the Genesis starts at a much lower price, but I find it pretty difficult to fathom how one could equate the Genesis coupe with a BMW. It seemed like the 2010-2012 Genesis coupes were like the 1st gen G35/350Z. A generation behind, a little heavy on the scales, and not super refined in any way.
Like I said, it's not a perfect BMW 3-series match, but, to my senses, easily the closest I've seen in all the reviews I've done. I should also add, BTW, that I drove an automatic version....not the 6MT. The manual version might (?) have somewhat different tuning....and could exlain some of the differences.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-14 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe