Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 04:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm quite surpised you said that about the pre-facelift Genesis coupe. My friend had one for a while and I drove it through some windy back roads of Tennessee when we had a to take a detour around an accident. It was a 3.8 Track model- It had athletic moves but that suspension was brittle enough to make the car seem nervous and unsettled where a 335i would've maintained it's composure. In that form, the Genesis Coupe needed an extra layer of compliance to compete with the best.

It was a good first effort, but that class got intense quickly. I don't think Hyundai or Nissan with the 370Z imagined the pony car competition was going to evolve so rapidly.
Old 08-12-14, 04:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's what I was referring to. Sorry if I was unclear.

Yes, the one I sampled was also before these 2013 changes. I had just reviewed a BMW 335i, and the Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track version felt remarkably similar on the road, except for the somewhat firmer ride that you noticed.

Did you check the tire pressures? Trust me....a LOT of new cars come off the transporters with PSIs WAY over recommendation. They do that to keep soft tires rocking on the transporter from being damaged by the wheel rims. The dealer PDI guys are supposed to bleed them down to the proper PSIs, but, in my experience, about half of the time, they don't. When they don't, the ride is noticeably stiffer (and the steering quicker) than it normally would be.

(That's why I carry a tire gauge and/or double-check the tires on the pressure-sensors before a test-drive).

The 2008 IS-F suspension, before the 2009 retuning, I agree, was one of the harshest I've ever experienced on a regular street-car, along with the Mitsubishi Evo's. The Genesis coupe I drove (with proper PSI's) was quite firm but not in that league.

Like I said, it's not a perfect BMW 3-series match, but, to my senses, easily the closest I've seen in all the reviews I've done. I should also add, BTW, that I drove an automatic version....not the 6MT. The manual version might (?) have somewhat different tuning....and could exlain some of the differences.
We check and calibrate all tire pressures, so it's not that, and the Track model would have had the same suspension tuning regardless of transmission. I, and the entire development team I was with, just disagree entirely with your opinion.
Old 08-12-14, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
We check and calibrate all tire pressures, so it's not that, and the Track model would have had the same suspension tuning regardless of transmission. I, and the entire development team I was with, just disagree entirely with your opinion.
OK, fine, No problem. Wouldn't be the first time we disagreed, and may not be the last.

Here's an interesting line, though, from AUTOMOBILE magazine...........

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...3_8_track_a_t/

In many ways, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 is a poor man's Infiniti G37 coupe (which itself is a poor man's BMW 335i coupe).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 05:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, fine, No problem. Wouldn't be the first time we disagreed, and may not be the last.

Here's an interesting line, though, from AUTOMOBILE magazine...........

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...3_8_track_a_t/
That's about the 2013 which, from what I'm told has a much better tuned suspension. And then a copy.. of a copy... is never as good as an original, keeps deteriorating. So that would support that even the 2013 isn't in the realm of the BMW. Even less so for the pre-2013.
Old 08-13-14, 08:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm quite surpised you said that about the pre-facelift Genesis coupe. My friend had one for a while and I drove it through some windy back roads of Tennessee when we had a to take a detour around an accident. It was a 3.8 Track model- It had athletic moves but that suspension was brittle enough to make the car seem nervous and unsettled where a 335i would've maintained it's composure. In that form, the Genesis Coupe needed an extra layer of compliance to compete with the best.

It was a good first effort, but that class got intense quickly. I don't think Hyundai or Nissan with the 370Z imagined the pony car competition was going to evolve so rapidly.
I really wouldn't compare a genesis coupe to a 335i anyway, but I guess even mentioning it is an accolade for the genesis.
Old 08-13-14, 08:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't either, I just mentioned it since mmarshall did above.
Old 08-13-14, 08:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wouldn't either, I just mentioned it since mmarshall did above.
yep, saw that up there...I was just too lazy to dig it outta MM's post
Old 03-08-24, 08:06 PM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I can offer a bit of my 2 cents. I am a former owner of a MY16 Genesis Coupe. I now own an RC F.

There are so many spot on points mentioned in this old thread. I was lucky enough to buy my Genny bone stock. I also kept her mostly bone stock until I traded her in. One of the few mods I did do to my Genny was removing the factory crooked “H” with aftermarket Genesis Coupe wing badges. It seemed like a sad story that people including myself would buy this car yet feel ashamed to be in a “Hyundai”. I do agree Hyundai has come a long way, but to reiterate what was already mentioned in this thread, it was a poor marketing decision to call the coupe a Genesis. The Genny coupe interior was far from luxurious. I also always strongly believed Hyundai could have positioned this car in a higher echelon if they could have somehow engineered to offer the V8 in the coupe from the Hyundai Genesis sedan. From what I read, this was a tough task to fit it under the hood of the coupe due to dimensions etc.

In August 2016, it was officially announced Hyundai was killing the Genesis Coupe after the 2016 model year. It was evident that a coupe was not in the cards for the Genesis brand. It is now the year 2024 and Genesis has YET to release a Coupe post the Hyundai/Genesis brand split a la Toyota/Lexus. I always knew in my heart the standalone Genesis brand would not release a coupe anytime soon after the split. The day they do, I’ll be surprised.

I will however give the marketing team at Hyundai kudos for using the name “Track Edition” way before the RC F even existed. Hyundai last used the name on the MY13 Genesis Coupe. This marketing name was replaced with “Ultimate” for MY14-MY16. You could say Lexus may have borrowed the name for the RC F TE.

Old 03-09-24, 05:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF93til
There are so many spot on points mentioned in this old thread. I was lucky enough to buy my Genny bone stock. I also kept her mostly bone stock until I traded her in. One of the few mods I did do to my Genny was removing the factory crooked “H” with aftermarket Genesis Coupe wing badges. It seemed like a sad story that people including myself would buy this car yet feel ashamed to be in a “Hyundai”. I do agree Hyundai has come a long way, but to reiterate what was already mentioned in this thread, it was a poor marketing decision to call the coupe a Genesis. The Genny coupe interior was far from luxurious. I also always strongly believed Hyundai could have positioned this car in a higher echelon if they could have somehow engineered to offer the V8 in the coupe from the Hyundai Genesis sedan. From what I read, this was a tough task to fit it under the hood of the coupe due to dimensions etc.

In August 2016, it was officially announced Hyundai was killing the Genesis Coupe after the 2016 model year. It was evident that a coupe was not in the cards for the Genesis brand. It is now the year 2024 and Genesis has YET to release a Coupe post the Hyundai/Genesis brand split a la Toyota/Lexus. I always knew in my heart the standalone Genesis brand would not release a coupe anytime soon after the split. The day they do, I’ll be surprised.
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe was supposed to be the third gen Hyundai Tiburon but the higher-ups demanded it be called the Genesis Coupe solely because they shared the same platform. The interior was nowhere near as luxurious (for its time) as the sedan version.

With any luck we'll probably see the Genesis X Coupe go into production but that is going to have practically nothing in common with it the Genesis Coupe besides having the words "Genesis" and "Coupe" in its name. Especially the price.
Old 03-09-24, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF93til
‘Hyundai made a big mistake not making a new generation of the Coupe. Not so WAH lol was a nice car. And it should be branded a Hyundai and not a Genesis

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-24 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 07:19 AM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Good points. Agree that the day Genesis releases a coupe, it will be very, very far off from a bang for your buck offering its predecessor was.

In the 2020 interview below with he Scott Margason, Hyundai director of product planning, says there was definitely discussions to call the Genesis Coupe a Tiburon but ultimately kept the Genesis Coupe name to emphasize and market the Rear wheel drive of the Genesis platform. Interesting that he says he’d like to see the Genesis Coupe make a comeback.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...interview/amp/
Old 03-12-24, 09:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I hope the Genesis Coupe returns. I really liked those cars. Very stylish and still look good today.
Old 03-13-24, 08:43 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How reliable are these? Seems like a decently cheap and fun daily driver.

Old 03-13-24, 09:16 PM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

@jwong77 The 3.8s are quite reliable, but with 3.8 2013+ models having the GDI engine, carbon deposit build up is inevitable and must be cleaned up to prolong the life of the engine. I can’t speak on the 2.0 Turbos longevity, especially since most Turbo Gennys end up being heavily modded.

Also these are Hyundais at the end of the day so expect plastic parts to wear out etc.

Bottomline it is a great bang for your buck sports car and can definitely be a DD if you are able to get a Genny that hasn’t been abused or heavily modded.