Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design? (select up to 4)
Acura
62.71%
Audi
6.78%
BMW
15.25%
Cadillac
22.03%
Infiniti
28.81%
Jaguar
8.47%
Lexus
6.78%
Lincoln
66.10%
Mercedes-Benz
18.64%
Porsche
8.47%
Volvo
30.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14 | 02:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I went with Acura and Lincoln...though I'm not much of a fan of the Lexus Spindle-grille either. So many customers, BTW, dislike the Acura parrot-beak that dealerships have to re-paint some of the beaks body-color just to get their customers to accept delivery.

Bitkahuna.....I agree that Acura and Volvo are not Tier-1 luxury-brands in the sense of how we usually think of the term. But they ARE upmarket brands, and, for purposes of this thread, I don't see any problem in including them. You can see that many other responses, just like mine, consider Acura and Lincoln the two worst.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off i question the question as i don't consider acura or volvo to be luxury brands. i certainly don't care much for their exterior designs overall though. the rest all have winners and losers in exterior design to me so none to choose as 'worst'.
I would think you'd have to question Lincoln being on that list too, then. Their flagship model is an optioned up Taurus.
Old 06-12-14 | 02:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Too many people are getting hung up on thinking there is a right answer. OP simply asks (out of the poll provided) which makes are your least favorite based on exterior design so yes it's subjective.

As to non luxury makes, they are included because they are premium/upscale and often compared with actual luxury makes by consumers. Perhaps the term 'Luxury Brand' in the thread title is the cause for all the confusion.
Old 06-12-14 | 04:47 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol OP Voted Lexus as the worst? Come on now man whats up with that?

I voted Lincoln they are the worst their style is so plain looking to me.
Old 06-12-14 | 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wow--no anonymous voting here...
You can vote anonymously in CL polls. There is an option for that.
Old 06-12-14 | 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would think you'd have to question Lincoln being on that list too, then. Their flagship model is an optioned up Taurus.
Sedan-wise, I'd agree......ever since the Town Car was dropped. But the Navigator, IMO, is, size-wise and luxury-wise, still nominally a Tier-1 product....as is the Cadillac Escalade.
Old 06-12-14 | 05:49 PM
LexFather

If Acura and Lincoln are here, so should Buick.....Buick should be in the poll...
Old 06-12-14 | 05:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If Acura and Lincoln are here, so should Buick.....Buick should be in the poll...
Concur, Buick is upscale
Old 06-12-14 | 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Overall, Buick probably competes a little closer to Acura than with Lincoln. Ford, dispute Lincoln's limitations, positions it to do battle with Cadillac.....which, in general, is one step above Buick. However, both Buick and Lincoln, I'll agree, NOW lack a proper flagship...as also does Cadillac. I was impressed with the last top-line Acura, the RL, but not particularly with its RLX replacement, which seems a step down.

Buick's marketers, BTW, lately, have been trying to position it is a Lexus competitor. I'll agree in some areas...but Lexus also has some models (like the LS and LX) that are far above anything Buick is doing right now.
Old 06-12-14 | 06:58 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acura and Lincoln, can't say I'm surprised.
Old 06-12-14 | 07:06 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But at least Acura & Lincoln have their own design language. No one can mistake them for something else
Old 06-12-14 | 07:17 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lets discuss the why's. The O.P started this thread and maybe he can explain why he thinks Lexus design is so bad (being the only vote thus far) and why he thinks Infiniti design is so great? Hoovey for example did a good job explaining his choices.
I wanted to let other people state their opinion first before I stated mine. Furthermore, I don't need to "explain" why I think Lexus' current exterior design is so bad, I simply don't like the direction they are going in and have been going in for some time. I don't like the Spindle Grille and there are just too many current Lexus models that do nothing for me in the exterior styling department - namely the IS, ES, LX, & RX. I'm neutral toward the CT & GX. The new NX looks nice and the RC looks to be about the best. I do like the LS however and the GS in darker colors only. But overall, I don't like the direction they are currently going in. However, they are not my least favorite. That would have to go to Audi. It is almost criminal how many Audi models resemble Volkswagen models and yet rarely anyone ever calls them out on it. They are bland bland bland in my eyes and I simply can't understand how anyone would find them more attractive than their German competitors. Anyway, here's my FOUR least favorite in order:

1. Audi
2. Lincoln
3. Acura
4. Lexus

So as you can see, Lexus is not my least favorite. To be honest, it was a toss up between Lexus & MB, but ultimately went with Lexus because MB models simply stand out to me more when I see them on the road and just have more road presence IMO. They're still not my cup of tea, but as a design language, I feel they currently have overall nicer looking vehicles exterior-wise.

My favorite exterior styling? That's easy.

Jaguar. Simply the most luxurious looking cars on the road today. They reek of style and sophistication. I just love them. BMW would have to be my second favorite. They simply just know about proportions from every single angle and they always look good on the road. Masculine, solid-looking vehicles. Love the current 5 Series and love the current 7 series even more. My third favorite would have to be Cadillac. You always know when you see a Cadillac on the road, because it looks like nothing else. IMO, they have the strongest exterior design language of any luxury brand and they seem to be sticking to that philosophy like glue. Most of them look great to my eyes.

So no, sorry to break it to you, but Infiniti, believe it or not, is not one of my favorites. It's middle of the pack for me at the moment.

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Lol OP Voted Lexus as the worst? Come on now man whats up with that?

I voted Lincoln they are the worst their style is so plain looking to me.
Sorry dude. I don't think Lexus is the worst, as I stated above, just one of my least favorites at the moment.

And you know what? If I included Buick, you would have said "Buick doesn't belong in this poll".

Buick does not offer anything starting above 38k. They are not a real luxury brand, more of a "premium" brand, and GM positions it as such (below Cadillac). Both Acura & Lincoln offer models above 50k and that's where the distinction lies. If I included Buick, I would have had to include Hyundai & Kia as well, but again, none of those 3 offer enough luxury vehicles to really distinguish a certain "design language" that would make it fair to compare against MB, BMW, Lexus, and the others that have more complete lineups.
Old 06-12-14 | 07:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I voted:

Cadillac- The Arts & Science designs never really tie it up for me. The rear of the ATS and CTS in particularly totally turn me off. I don't like the entirety of the ELR, to be honest.

Acura- just too bland. For some reason I kinda like the TSX but they're all bores. The RLX is just sad and looks very Accord like.
Old 06-12-14 | 07:44 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt vote for 4 i just voted for one but my other 3 worst luxury brands exterior wise imo in that list are acura, volvo and audi.
Old 06-12-14 | 07:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm surprised very few voted on Audi. I for one find their ext design tired-looking. Same stuff over the last two to three gens. Same A to C pillar designs in their sedan lineup from A3 to A8. And front and rear lights, grille, etc.

My worst four, from worst to so-so:
Lincoln
Audi
Acura
MB
Old 06-12-14 | 08:45 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What about Rolls Royce and Bently, don't they count as Luxury?

Quick Reply: What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design?