Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design? (select up to 4)
Acura
62.71%
Audi
6.78%
BMW
15.25%
Cadillac
22.03%
Infiniti
28.81%
Jaguar
8.47%
Lexus
6.78%
Lincoln
66.10%
Mercedes-Benz
18.64%
Porsche
8.47%
Volvo
30.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-14, 09:26 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design?

This forum doesn't have enough polls. So here's one. Based ONLY on overall exterior design philosophy, what are your LEAST favorite luxury brands? Just basically as a whole, which manufacturers do you think have the worst overall exterior designs? You can select up to FOUR options in the poll. I only included the major manufacturers and didn't include Hyundai or any ultra luxury brands, cuz I wanted to keep it just between the brands with a more complete and/or mainstream lineup.

Here are the options:

Acura
Audi
BMW
Cadillac
Infiniti
Jaguar
Lexus
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Porsche
Volvo
Old 06-11-14, 11:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I chose Acura, BMW, Infiniti and Lincoln. Acura design does not currently appeal to me. I believe if they went more aggressive and bold they could have something more appealing. Perhaps any design lessons after the upcoming NSX can change this. Till then they make my list. BMW. Don't get me wrong they have a few good looking cars but overall I think their cars offend more than Audi in terms of all models looking the same. These cars are all becoming so bland and bloated and lack the distinctness that made owning a BMW so special, The Ultimate Driving Machine. BMW makes my list. Infiniti. The Q45, M, G35 were onto something and then the 'bionic cheetah' and 'fluid katana' morphed into curvy vehicles that don't give the presence of Luxury as much as 'premium sport'. Concepts give me hope. List they go. Lastly I choose Lincoln. The MKC is the first to fully embrace a new design from Lincoln so it's too early to tell about this make based on current Lincoln's it makes the list.

As to the rest. My favorite are in order top to bottom

1. Jaguar
2. Porsche
3. Lexus
4. Mercedes-Benz
5. Cadillac
6. Audi
7. Volvo
_
8. BMW
9. Infiniti
10. Acura
11. Lincoln
Old 06-11-14, 11:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acura and Infiniti are among the worst.
Old 06-11-14, 11:57 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

BMW, Infiniti, and Lincoln.
Old 06-12-14, 01:48 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Design is subjective but if I had to choose the worst it would be Mercedes-Benz. Their current design language is very unsettled and as a result the end product looks pretty bad LOL
Old 06-12-14, 05:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Acura design does not currently appeal to me. I believe if they went more aggressive and bold they could have something more appealing.
I believe they tried that with this monstrosity....they just can't do aggressive/bold

Old 06-12-14, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

i think the results will say more about what people think about the brands than the 'exterior looks'. bmw could put their logo on anything and it will sell.
Old 06-12-14, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the results will say more about what people think about the brands than the 'exterior looks'. bmw could put their logo on anything and it will sell.
Well lets discuss the why's. The O.P started this thread and maybe he can explain why he thinks Lexus design is so bad (being the only vote thus far) and why he thinks Infiniti design is so great? Hoovey for example did a good job explaining his choices.

Old 06-12-14, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura and Lincoln for me. Both are downright unattractive lately, aside from maybe the MKC.
Old 06-12-14, 09:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I believe they tried that with this monstrosity....they just can't do aggressive/bold
To be quite honest with you I don't see any aggression. Looks downright soft in my eyes sort of like an MDX on Slimfast. Doesn't have that authority that the X6 does (which is no beauty queen either but has a presence in real life)
Old 06-12-14, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
... what are your LEAST favorite luxury brands? ... which manufacturers do you think have the worst overall exterior designs? ...

Here are the options:

Acura
Audi
BMW
Cadillac
Infiniti
Jaguar
Lexus
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Porsche
Volvo
first off i question the question as i don't consider acura or volvo to be luxury brands. i certainly don't care much for their exterior designs overall though. the rest all have winners and losers in exterior design to me so none to choose as 'worst'.
Old 06-12-14, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I went with Acura and Lincoln...though I'm not much of a fan of the Lexus Spindle-grille either. So many customers, BTW, dislike the Acura parrot-beak that dealerships have to re-paint some of the beaks body-color just to get their customers to accept delivery.

Bitkahuna.....I agree that Acura and Volvo are not Tier-1 luxury-brands in the sense of how we usually think of the term. But they ARE upmarket brands, and, for purposes of this thread, I don't see any problem in including them. You can see that many other responses, just like mine, consider Acura and Lincoln the two worst.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 09:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
To be quite honest with you I don't see any aggression. Looks downright soft in my eyes sort of like an MDX on Slimfast. Doesn't have that authority that the X6 does (which is no beauty queen either but has a presence in real life)
exactly

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bmw could put their logo on anything and it will sell.
yep!

saw one of their new aztecs for the first time...sure makes the Prius look sleek...

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:06 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i chose infiniti. but acura, lincoln, volvo, are up there too.
Old 06-12-14, 02:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Well lets discuss the why's. The O.P started this thread and maybe he can explain why he thinks Lexus design is so bad (being the only vote thus far) and why he thinks Infiniti design is so great? Hoovey for example did a good job explaining his choices.

Wow--no anonymous voting here...

I'm not sure where this thread is going to end up, because styling is so subjective. There's some good choices here. Acura really blew it with their beak design a few years ago, but they have softened it since then, and I think the look actually really worked on the 2nd gen MDX.

I'm not a big fan of Lincoln, but Lincolns have never done it for me as a whole.

My vote goes to MB--I am really not feeling their current designs at all, other than maybe an SL or SLK. And I would vote for MB over Lincoln because I don't think Lincoln ever had really inspiring designs; but I just feel MB has gone down hill fast in aesthetics. I find the new CLA absolutely awful.

But--I know that others would disagree vehemently....

Quick Reply: What are your Least Favorite Luxury Brands based on Exterior Design?