Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 12:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
That says a lot.

Since you are not a hybrid owner and have no idea of what Lexus has done for people let me reiterate since you missed the last post. Lexus has a great track history replacing and taking care of people OUT OF WARRANTY. The fact of the matter is the hybrid system is warrantied for 100k miles so past that it is a fair ballgame. These hybrids were the first of their kind, the Lexus GS being the worlds first RWD hybrid sport sedan so the technology is older compared to today.

My story is only one. Some people have no had to change a thing. Some people have before 100k miles. I stand behind Lexus/Toyota hybrids as great options for people.

My feedback is of actual ownership, with high mileage, which is exactly what the thread and O.P is about. You and your friend's feedback are based on what I wrote since neither of you have any experience owning a Lexus or Toyota or any hybrid. Instead of saying "thank you" for the feedback, you two are trying to be cute with your responses.
Wow, talk about lack of comprehension or not understanding sentences. Maybe you were just trying to be cute but it looks like you actually did not understand I was giving a scenario of how I would feel if I had a car that had a major component failure/$7000 repair bill just after 100K miles and you somehow mistook it that I was saying I did not own a car

Many people including me would argue that Lexus does not have a great track record of taking care people out of warranty on many known design issues based on our experiences but that is for other threads.

Your story is one where you are praising a car and the cars hybrid system that completely failed just after 100K miles to the tune of a $7000 repair bill which I find very odd. Others have not been so fortunate with Lexus covering the out of warranty claims on failed hybrid systems, others have like you said. If you got stuck paying that $7000 repair bill like some owners may have experienced or may experience would you still be praising the hybrid system that completely failed and how Lexus handled it?

I don't know Lex2InfiN nor do I have much if any dialogue with him, I think I have argued against some of his positions at times in past threads so not sure why you are calling us "friends".

As far as your comment neither of us have any experience owning a Lexus or Toyota, I own and I am driving a Lexus right now.
Old 06-16-14, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Wow, talk about lack of comprehension or not understanding sentences.
Did you make that up all up on your own? How about do us all a favor and provide us your feedback of hybrid Lexus ownership so we can compare notes.

We will wait......

Old 06-16-14, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, talk about lack of comprehension or not understanding sentences. Maybe you were just trying to be cute but it looks like you actually did not understand I was giving a scenario of how I would feel if I had a car that had a major component failure/$7000 repair bill just after 100K miles and you somehow mistook it that I was saying I did not own a car

Many people including me would argue that Lexus does not have a great track record of taking care people out of warranty on many known design issues based on our experiences but that is for other threads.

Your story is one where you are praising a car and the cars hybrid system that completely failed just after 100K miles to the tune of a $7000 repair bill which I find very odd. Others have not been so fortunate with Lexus covering the out of warranty claims on failed hybrid systems, others have like you said. If you got stuck paying that $7000 repair bill like some owners may have experienced or may experience would you still be praising the hybrid system that completely failed and how Lexus handled it?

I don't know Lex2InfiN nor do I have much if any dialogue with him, I think I have argued against some of his positions at times in past threads so not sure why you are calling us "friends".

As far as your comment neither of us have any experience owning a Lexus or Toyota, I own and I am driving a Lexus right now.
The Lexus hybrid warranty is 8 yrs or a 100k. I would fully expect Lexus to cover the cost especially if the car is just 4k out of warranty. Also, if the owner is a big time Lexus owner, Lexus BETTER pay for it. Also, Lexfather comes off as someone who probably drools at his local dealer so they should take care of him.

If it were me, I would be plenty pissed at Lexus and it would be very hard for me to buy their products again. Anyways, a GS400h never made any sense.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-16-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-16-14, 02:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I shared my story and it seems two people took it, twisted it and regurgitated their distaste for me instead of actually understanding what was said. I feel like Obama
Except I actually enjoy hearing from you

I agree that it's not just about if a product fails, but how the manufacturer handles it that matters in the ownership experience. Machines break. Fancy machines have more potential to break.
Old 06-16-14, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I shared my story and it seems two people took it, twisted it and regurgitated their distaste for me instead of actually understanding what was said.
don't know if you meant me, but if your experience is pretty common (that lexus will take care of reasonable owners with major hybrid issues out of warranty) then that's great, and there was no intent to 'twist' what you said, simply read what you wrote.

glad it worked out for you and others.

i certainly have no overall complaints about my experiences with lexus service, although they did put a front stabilizer bar in upside down once and caused me no end of problems, but they did at least admit it and made it up to me.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-16-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-16-14, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't know if you meant me, but if your experience is pretty common (that lexus will take care of reasonable owners with major hybrid issues out of warranty) then that's great, and there was no intent to 'twist' what you said, simply read what you wrote.

glad it worked out for you and others.

i certainly have no overall complaints about my experiences with lexus service, although they did put a front stabilizer bar in upside down once and caused me no end of problems, but they did at least admit it and made it up to me.
Toyota/Lexus hybrids are pretty much top of the food chain when it comes to reliability, so in general, they are some of the most reliable cars out there... i dont think "major hybrid" failure is any more common than "major transmission/engine" failure in modern Lexus vehicles, which means it rarely ever happens.
Old 06-16-14, 05:47 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in that situation would be greatly upset knowing that the possibility exists of having to dish out $7,000.00 out of pocket to fix a broken hybrid system.

Your story is one where you are praising a car and the cars hybrid system that completely failed just after 100K miles to the tune of a $7000 repair bill which I find very odd.
^^ This ^^
If I were him, I wouldn't have even mentioned this story in this thread, cuz it completely contradicts any sort of reliability that Lexus has with this particular hybrid system. It is also very odd to praise a hybrid system that completely failed at only 104k

Others have not been so fortunate with Lexus covering the out of warranty claims on failed hybrid systems, others have like you said. If you got stuck paying that $7000 repair bill like some owners may have experienced or may experience would you still be praising the hybrid system that completely failed and how Lexus handled it?
Yes, he still would.

Umm, yea, we're not friends. Not that we're enemies or anything, but I don't even know you I guess any two people in the same thread that disagrees with him are somehow automatically friends?

And for the record, I have owned 7 Lexus models in my lifetime. 7
Old 06-16-14, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Anyone in that situation would be greatly upset knowing that the possibility exists of having to dish out $7,000.00 out of pocket to fix a broken hybrid system.
I see hybrid hate is strong... possibility of something breaking always exists... thankfully in the case of Lexus and Hybrids, it is very low possibility and even if it happens, Lexus will take care of you.

But as I said before, Lexus hybrid failures are very low, and their hybrids are their most reliable vehicles.
Old 06-16-14, 06:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
I see hybrid hate is strong... possibility of something breaking always exists... thankfully in the case of Lexus and Hybrids, it is very low possibility and even if it happens, Lexus will take care of you.

But as I said before, Lexus hybrid failures are very low, and their hybrids are their most reliable vehicles.
He said "anyone" like speaking in absolutes really drives home a point. Its the exact opposite since not "anyone" or "everyone" feels that way. My story is my story and if it scares some people away that is fine and dandy and just. Again I could have easily not even mentioned it.

I explained my ownership experience which is relevant to the thread, people have seen the car, driven my car, its been all over and it carries more WEIGHT than he could ever muster.

Old 06-17-14, 12:15 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

So basically your Lexus hybrid system failed completely at only 104K miles, but would have cost you $7,000 () if not for your special relationship with Lexus? And this is somehow proof of a reliable hybrid system? You just made a case that these hybrid systems (at least the one in the Lexus GS450h) are not that reliable at all! 104K miles is nothing for pretty much any and all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Yet your Lexus HYBRID failed at only 104K? Not good.

Sounds to me you got pretty lucky because of your "relationship". Doesn't sound like a reliable system, however.
His GS 450h hybrid failure is a small percentage of the overall hybrids that don't fail. One must truly investigate thoroughly why it failed. Lexus also replaced the battery at no charge. I highly doubt that Infiniti would replace a hybrid battery on an M35h that passed the warranty period even if one had a close relationship with Infiniti.

How can a complete hybrid system failure be a testament to Lexus hybrids?
Kudos to Lexus for taking care of one of their own, and I know they have done other "good will" gestures for other loyal customers with other issues just out of warranty. But seriously, a complete hybrid system failure at only 104K miles is not good at all and I can't see how anyone can see that this is anything but a terrible example for Lexus hybrids.
One must understand that there is no perfect car manufacturer but Lexus is closer to perfect than most other car manufacturers. It appears you're putting much focus on the negative as do most people when things go wrong. (When everything is going right, no one notices, however when something goes wrong the whole world knows and then some.) It's how the mistake is fixed counts and Lexus warrantied Mike's hybrid battery at no charge and that goes a very long way in my book. Now that Lexus replaced his battery on his GS 450h, it's as good as new and we know the car can go at least another 104K miles or more with proper care and maintenance...

So if one is to look at the big picture, Toyota/Lexus hybrids overall can reach high mileage with very little or major repairs. Also as LexsCTJill states that the hybrid component is like another part which have a life span that can fail at anytime and is not to last forever like any other part on any vehicle.

Last edited by Trexus; 06-22-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 08:42 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

^^ This ^^
If I were him, I wouldn't have even mentioned this story in this thread, cuz it completely contradicts any sort of reliability that Lexus has with this particular hybrid system. It is also very odd to praise a hybrid system that completely failed at only 104k

Yes, he still would.

Umm, yea, we're not friends. Not that we're enemies or anything, but I don't even know you I guess any two people in the same thread that disagrees with him are somehow automatically friends?

And for the record, I have owned 7 Lexus models in my lifetime. 7
Look, I see where you're coming from. I'm not a hybrid guy myself. I'm the *** that makes fun of Prius drivers.

But you can't extrapolate conclusions from 1 failure.
Old 06-17-14, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But once again, it needs to be said that Lexus/Toyota hybrids are really, really reliable... they sold 1.4 million of them just last year and over 6 million overall... it is not some fringe technology.