Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 10:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?

Which hybrid cars accumulate the most mileage over time?

According to a new data analysis, there's one hybrid that stands head and shoulders above the rest--and it's not the Toyota Prius.

Used-car listing aggregator iSeeCars analyzed more than 20 million used-car listings posted during April and May, looking specifically at the listed mileage on the cars.

Specifically, the site split out hybrids with 150,000 miles or more listed, to see what percentage of the total number for sale were at that level--which it suggests is a proxy for lasting a long time.

The Honda Civic Hybrid, which first went on sale back in 2003, had by far the highest percentage of high-mileage listings: 5.4 percent of the total, the only car to exceed 5 percent.

Next came two hybrid SUVs, the Ford Escape Hybrid and Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which were tied for second place at 2.7 percent each.

The Toyota Prius took third place, at 2.1 percent, followed by the Lexus RX 400h at 1.4 percent.

The last two cars in the iSeeCars listing, the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Honda Insight (presumably both generations of that nameplate), were both under 1.0 percent, at 0.7 and 0.6 percent respectively.

Phong Ly, CEO of iSeeCars, suggested to Green Car Reports that the two hybrid SUVs may have been used as family vehicles, meaning higher mileage from vacations and holiday road trips.

To which we might add that the Honda Civic Hybrid may have had a higher percentage of fleet buyers, who tend to wring every last mile out of their cars to minimize lifetime ownership costs.

On the other hand, Honda's fleet sales are historically low compared to other makers, including Toyota, so our suggestion may not be accurate.

It's also worth noting that Toyota dominates the list, with four of the seven highest-mileage used hybrids--though given its dominant position in hybrid vehicles globally, that's probably not too much of a surprise.

In any event, long life in a hybrid doesn't necessary translate to rock-solid reliability: the Honda Civic Hybrid has had several recalls of different model years for battery problems and other issues.

That said, Ly said the ratio of used Prius listings to used Civic Hybrid listings matched the ratio of their respective sales totals--meaning the battery-life issues may not have played much of a role in the cars' overall durability.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/long-hy...123856756.html
Old 06-15-14, 10:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

my .02, pretty sure Prius sales are double Civic Hybrid sales so...not sure about the article....looking at used car ads isn't really a good gauge IMO.
Old 06-15-14, 11:18 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
my .02, pretty sure Prius sales are double Civic Hybrid sales so...not sure about the article....looking at used car ads isn't really a good gauge IMO.
The Prius has sold about 5 times that of the Civic Hybrid since 2002, when the Civic H came out.

This article doesn't at all indicate or determine what hybrid is most reliable or which "makes it" to 150K, which is nothing BTW. There's Prius's with well over 400,000 miles running great on the original battery. This article is useless. The worst hybrid ever made could make 150K with little effort.
Old 06-15-14, 12:16 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm gonna find out with my 2011 CT 200h. So far I've got over 71K miles and she runs great and get great mpg's...still have the original brake pads and will change them at 100K miles...glad the CT has a timing chain as oppose to a timing belt...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-15-14 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 12:17 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to gauge what hybrid can make it best to 150k miles based in used car listings as owners who have made it to those miles with little trouble would most likely those cars and run them another 150k miles.

The best way to gauge which cars make it to 150k miles would taking a average miles done on the car from a year range
Old 06-15-14, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

The factory tells us the hybrid system will outlive the engine
Old 06-15-14, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The Prius has sold about 5 times that of the Civic Hybrid since 2002, when the Civic H came out.

This article doesn't at all indicate or determine what hybrid is most reliable or which "makes it" to 150K, which is nothing BTW. There's Prius's with well over 400,000 miles running great on the original battery. This article is useless. The worst hybrid ever made could make 150K with little effort.
Most arguments about hybrid reliability is useless. Its like anything else on a car, IT CAN FAIL.

I dont see what the difference is between a hybrid battery failing and a vital component such as a transmission , camshaft of rear axle failing.

Can you imagine the out of warranty cost to replace an LS 8 speed, or an LX rear differential, or perhaps the computer HVAC systems in certain Lexus models? What about GM Duramax diesel engine failing out of warranty? That would be astronomical.

What folks need to understand is that hybrids are engineered like anything else in the world. It is built to stand up to a certain point. Either Ford, GM, and Toyota make them last or they don't. Its that simple.
Old 06-15-14, 01:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most arguments about hybrid reliability is useless. Its like anything else on a car, IT CAN FAIL.

I dont see what the difference is between a hybrid battery failing and a vital component such as a transmission , camshaft of rear axle failing.

Can you imagine the out of warranty cost to replace an LS 8 speed, or an LX rear differential, or perhaps the computer HVAC systems in certain Lexus models? What about GM Duramax diesel engine failing out of warranty? That would be astronomical.

What folks need to understand is that hybrids are engineered like anything else in the world. It is built to stand up to a certain point. Either Ford, GM, and Toyota make them last or they don't. Its that simple.
actually I believe Toyota over-engineered the Hybrid Synergy Drive.....JPL is right about 400K miles on Prius'.....even on tough taxi cab duty.....

I'll post back with some more info on this....but here's overall CR reliability....
Attached Thumbnails How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?-prius.jpg   How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?-ct200h.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-15-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 01:48 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to agree^^
Old 06-15-14, 02:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default Toyota Prius Hybrid Taxi Clocks 1 Million Kilometers in Vienna

just 1 car but....

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/12/toy...-clocks-1.html

When it comes to the Toyota Prius hybrid, we mostly hear about its fuel economy and emission numbers, but the Japanese carmaker is now highlighting another one of its qualities and in particular, its reliability after a taxi-version of the car topped the 1,000,000 kilometer (621,504 miles) mark in Vienna, Austria.
The Prius Taxi is owned by local cab company "EcoTaxi" and has been in service since 2007.

"As the name suggests, our company aims to be sustainable and environmentally friendly. For this, the Toyota hybrid vehicles with environmentally friendly technology and extreme durability are the perfect cars, "said managing director Milan Milic.

The taxi brand, which has more than 200 Prius hybrids in its fleet, said the record-breaking model had no "defects or glitches" and that it only performed the regular maintenance on the car during its 1 million km run. The car will continue to be used with its owners saying they look forward to hitting the second million km mark in the near future.
Old 06-15-14, 02:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default Ten-Year Old Toyota Hybrid Priuses Defy Early Critics

Consumer Reports Tests Find The Gas-Electric Hybrid No Hothouse Flower--Going Strong After 200K Miles

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

Bradly Berman, founder and editor of HybridCars.com and PluginCars.com, says that he is not surprised by Consumer Reports' test results. "For years, I've been seeing reports from Prius-driving taxi drivers, who have clocked 200,000 miles or more, and they've reported virtually no degradation of the battery or vehicle performance," says Berman. "There have been similar reports on HybridCars.com and other sites from individual long-distance hybrid drivers.

"This is not to say that absolutely no owners of first-generation hybrids have had to replace battery packs," adds Berman. "There have been a few, but my guess is that it's a single percentage point or two. By and large, these hybrid battery packs are way over-engineered. The carmakers were worried about battery longevity, and its potential impact on consumer acceptance, so they went overboard to make sure that the batteries would last longer than any other component of a conventional car."

Fisher and Berman agree that this kind of data should assuage any fears that consumers might have about hybrid technology and its long-range viability.

This chart shows the results of the testing that Consumer Reports engineers recently conducted on a used 2002 Prius, with 208,000 miles, compared to the results of the same tests conducted on a 2001 Prius a decade ago, when it was new.
Old 06-15-14, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

actually I believe Toyota over-engineered the Hybrid Synergy Drive.....JPL is right about 400K miles on Prius'.....even on tough taxi cab duty.....

I'll post back with some more info on this....but here's overall CR reliability....
Regardless if it is over engineered or not. Its like any other part of a car. There is a certain life expectancy.

Personally, I think all hybrid can manufacturers over engineer the hybrid parts. It not just a Toyota thing.
Old 06-15-14, 03:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Regardless if it is over engineered or not. Its like any other part of a car. There is a certain life expectancy.
sure there is, but only 1-2% have had issues?
Old 06-15-14, 04:48 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The factory tells us the hybrid system will outlive the engine
I believe the electric motor will outlive the ICE but I don't think the hybrid battery will outlast the ICE.
Old 06-15-14, 05:26 PM
LexFather

The Civic Hybrid is not really a hybrid. It cannot run on electric power alone like a Prius. It is really an assist and is far less complex than the Toyota Synergy Drive.

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm gonna find out with my 2011 CT 200h. So far I've got over 71K miles and she runs great and get great mpg's...still have the original brake pads and will change them at 100K miles...
Awesome dude.

My 2007 GS 450h now has around 134k miles. Here are some recent iPhone pics as I installed some Lexon Exclusive parts.

It was my first hybrid and we have been all over together, from long 600 mile + road trips, to the drag strip, to cruising around the city. It also is modified, which makes it even more rare. I am beyond pleased with owning the GS 450h and can only offer the highest recommendaton.

What has gone wrong? An HID bulb went out, which I replaced with 6k bulbs . Nothing was wrong with the engine but I did the valve spring recall. The passenger side lock was a little loose and was replaced with a new one. The biggest thing was at around 104k miles or so the hybrid battery system did fail, I believe it was a failed solenoid which mean the entire system needed to be replaced. You can only imagine my initial fear as the car was just out of warranty and it would ultimately be up to Lexus discretion to replace fully, partially or not.

Clearly my relationship with Lexus is "different" but I did my due diligence by always having my car serviced by the great people at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett. You see when things are out of warranty Lexus (and ALL brands) checks your service records. Taking your car to the dealership as scheduled and having full service records really helps your case if something breaks out of warranty. in just 24 hours I was informed that Lexus had approved for my battery to be replaced as a "goodwill" gesture. I was stunned. To stun me even more, they overnighted the 300lbs battery from California to Atlanta and it was replaced by the wonderful VVti here in a day. Before I could blink I was back in my GS 450h. They joked about how heavy the battery was and how it was a PITA to take it out. The bill was around $7.000 when all was said and done. It just added reinforcement that this is a company I believe in and can support.

Since then I have had no issues with the car. Other people that have driven it are shocked to find out it has that many miles and it is a hybrid. I was not the first hybrid at all but hopefully I could help change some perceptions of hybrid cars, that they are cool, they are reliable, they can be modified and they can make TV

The car is now for sale as it is time to move on but I 100% endorse any Lexus/Toyota hybrid as I am one happy owner.

Quick Reply: How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?