Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My thoughts as well. Congrats to Porsche, Jaguar and Lexus for the top three spots
three fantastic makes in their own right. Each has such a personality
Old 06-20-14, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I had a flashback when I read this. Remember Fix Or Repair Daily?
Back in the 60s, there was not only the Fix or Repair Daily phrase, but also First on Race Day.
Old 06-20-14, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

what and BMW gets a pass?! it's called Break My Wallet
Old 06-20-14, 04:27 PM
LexFather

Wait a minute acura and infiniti are way below average. I posted the new cars were not doing well especially with the ridiculous dual screens.

Crickets of course...

Old 06-20-14, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Wait a minute acura and infiniti are way below average. I posted the new cars were not doing well especially with the ridiculous dual screens.
Hoovey actually posted two different charts, though......IQS (Initial Quality) and VDS (Vehicle Dependability) studies. The two charts showed substantially different results in rankings for these two automakers....and many others.
Old 06-20-14, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hoovey actually posted two different charts, though......IQS (Initial Quality) and VDS (Vehicle Dependability) studies. The two charts showed substantially different results in rankings for these two automakers.
Yes, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but IQS takes data from the first 90 days of ownership while VDS looks at the past three years. IQS is essentially seeing how new vehicles fair "teething". So IQS doesn't tell the whole story, in the case of say Hyundai and Jaguar yes the vehicles are nice but can quickly become troublesome over the long run when looking at VDS (which is more important IMO)
Old 06-20-14, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Just google.. As I stated before the move to Alabama and dual screens with worse quality has hurt the mdx.. The q50 we know about the electronic issues. If these cars were German there would be an internet riot..

I recall certain people arguing how great quality was

Old 06-20-14, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just google.. As I stated before the move to Alabama and dual screens with worse quality has hurt the mdx.. The q50 we know about the electronic issues.
I agree that newer Acuras are not what they once were in several ways....especially with the tank-like but slow-selling 2Gen RL . The Q50, despite the video-screen issues, is otherwise, at least from what I saw in my recent review, generally well-built. And, with Acuras, they still seem to be screwed together very precisely at the plants, although the formerly impressive materials have clearly been cheapened in the last few years..

If these cars were German there would be an Internet riot.
The German electronic issues are no secret, Internet or not. They have been common knowledge for a number of years. We've discussed them at length right here on CAR CHAT.

I still remember, vividly, that brand-new bright-blue M3 I reviewed, about 6 or 7 years ago, that took almost a half-hour to get the drivers' seat adjusted correctly because the electric seat-motors kept crapping in and out...even with help from the service department. And that was right after the whole rear center-arm-rest assembly (on the same car) pulled right out of its hole and dropped down on the floor.....it had just been stuffed in the hole at the factory and never actually installed. This, on a $63,000 car.
Old 06-20-14, 08:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Or Found On Road Dead.
And Fast Only Rolling Downhill
Old 06-20-14, 11:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
their vehicles ain't cheap so perhaps maybe they're able to avoid the kind of corner cutting that other makers do, and maybe they're spending a ton of money on quality control.

and so much for all those saying jaguars and hyundais are crap.

honda should be ashamed of acura's rankings and fiat should just give up in the u.s.
Funny that you say that. Literally 2 min before I opened up my lap top to check out CL I was on the phone with friend who has a Cayman and had a rubber switch in his car literally melt in the AZ heat. Im a little blown away by that considering of what I hear about Porsche quality. I guess its true, German cars dont hold up in the heat.
Old 06-21-14, 07:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
what and BMW gets a pass?! it's called Break My Wallet
Bring Me Worries

Old 06-24-14, 11:24 PM
LexFather

Crickets.......

Old 06-25-14, 12:17 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crickets of course...
Infiniti topped two of the charts with the QX80 & QX50 and the QX70 was also top 3 on another. Interesting note on the Large Premium SUV chart - Besides the QX80 & Escalade, no other model in this segment performs above segment average. I guess that includes the LX570.

The Q50 software issues are what most likely brought down the brand's average.
Old 06-25-14, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Funny that you say that. Literally 2 min before I opened up my lap top to check out CL I was on the phone with friend who has a Cayman and had a rubber switch in his car literally melt in the AZ heat. Im a little blown away by that considering of what I hear about Porsche quality. I guess its true, German cars dont hold up in the heat.
arizona in the summer is like the surface of mercury in daytime. would love to know what the internal temp in that car was! but yeah, a switch shouldn't melt!
Old 06-25-14, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Crickets.......
not exactly, we're on page 3 already... but yeah, infiniti and acura should be very concerned about these weak scores.

Quick Reply: 2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study