Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Anyhow, we've gotten a little off (but not way off) topic, which is not rebadges/platform-sharing, but J.D. quality rankings.
Old 06-28-14, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

mmarshall , both the Cruze and Verano are Delta II platforms.
Old 06-28-14, 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anyhow, we've gotten a little off (but not way off) topic, which is not rebadges/platform-sharing, but J.D. quality rankings.
Getting back on topic, I was looking at CR used car guide at supermarket tonight. Almost everything by Toyota was a above average or full red circle. GM was almost all average or below average with many right at the worst. Looks like Toyota still trumps Gm
Old 06-29-14, 03:43 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If Toyota is anything like Lexus, anything marked below 100% is considered a failure on the survey. The survey is tied to the Salesperson so in all honesty you probably grenade'ed' any chance of a bonus for them.
That really is sad. Why should the salesperson be held responsible for the quality of the product that he/she is selling?

Also salespeople get the bad sleazy image, but in reality it's the upper management and financial department that pushes the salespeople to bad grounds. You can pretty much say the entire pressure is almost solely on the sales team. It's always easier for the management to point fingers
Old 06-29-14, 08:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
That really is sad. Why should the salesperson be held responsible for the quality of the product that he/she is selling?

Also salespeople get the bad sleazy image, but in reality it's the upper management and financial department that pushes the salespeople to bad grounds. You can pretty much say the entire pressure is almost solely on the sales team. It's always easier for the management to point fingers
Even worse for the Salesperson, the new car is handled multiple times for PDI, new car detailing and the LTS/LDS delivering the car and explaining features. Throw in a question regarding how the Finance department handled the sale and there is many variables that are somewhat out of the salespersons hands. So yes it's ruff. While I don't agree in sleazy tactics, I understand why some salespeople have to become sleazy in order to make a living. Sad
Old 06-29-14, 09:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I think we are talking about two different surveys here. The survey from the manufacturer on the buying experience and its impact on the sales rep, and the JD Power survey, the thread topic, on the vehicle after purchase.
Old 06-29-14, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think we are talking about two different surveys here. The survey from the manufacturer on the buying experience and its impact on the sales rep, and the JD Power survey, the thread topic, on the vehicle after purchase.
I find it very hard to believe that a salespersons bonus is tied to a third party survey of J D Power.
Old 06-29-14, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Getting back on topic, I was looking at CR used car guide at supermarket tonight. Almost everything by Toyota was a above average or full red circle. GM was almost all average or below average with many right at the worst. Looks like Toyota still trumps Gm
No question Toyota has a long history of above-average ratings.....with some AWD Lexus GS models being among the few exceptions. And there are still some GM cars that I myself would not buy (including the Lacrosse) because of reliabilily concerns. Used-car guides, though, reflect past models more than present ones. And the Verano is an interesting...and very unusual......case. CR gave it a full-clack circle the first year it debuted, based on only body integrity/hardware problems....but nothing in the far more critical engine/transmission categories. I noticed, however, that mine had been bulletproof since Day One. Sure enough, within the next six months, CR had changed the Verano's overall reliability rating from a full-black circle to a full-red one.....and a Recommendation. I've never seen that happen before, that quick....with any car.
Old 07-03-14, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Fiat’s Poor J.D. Power IQS Results an Anomaly, Executive Says

CHELSEA, MI – Fiat took a pounding in this year’s J.D. Power Initial Quality survey with 206 reported problems per 100 vehicles, far more than the industry average of 116 PP100.

But next year will be different, vows the brand’s U.S. chief, who says the disappointing results were the result of an unusual model-year transition.

Jason Stoicevich says the study was based on ’14 model-year vehicles, but because of extensive changes made to the 500 hatch, most of those vehicles weren’t available for evaluation. Rather, 91% of the evaluations were made on the 500L, a newcomer to the Fiat stable that also includes the high-performance Abarth and 500e electric vehicle.

“We had to build ’13-model-years well beyond what we normally would,” he tells WardsAuto at a media event here. “Therefore we had no ’14 model-year sales on the hatch, where the majority of our sales come from. So when the study was done, 91% of the study relied on the 500L, which is a new car where there are always quirks to work through.”

Regardless, the executive says there are “no excuses” for the survey results, adding
“We’ll be significantly improved in that study next year.”

Stoicevich says Fiat is gaining ground in the U.S., and is expected to further grow sales with the 500X CUV in first-quarter 2015.

Fiat’s U.S. sales were down 1.2% in 2013 compared with like-2012 to 43,326 units, according to WardsAuto data. Through May, U.S. deliveries were up 16.7% to 20,494.

Without revealing volume expectations, Stoicevich says the 500X will be a significant boon to the Fiat brand.

“The icon is the 3-door and the halo is the 500X,” he says. “That’s the game-changer of the brand. It is the first offering we will have that there is really no reason not to want to be part of the Fiat brand. We checked all the boxes in respect to coolness and sexiness and provide functionality and other offerings you wouldn’t expect out of a small-car brand.”

Stoicevich says the 500e EV, currently only available in California, has been selling well. Deliveries to Oregon have just begun, the second market chosen for the vehicle. Although Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne has stated publicly the 500e is a money-losing proposition, Stoicevich says it has not hurt the car’s popularity among EV enthusiasts.

“What he said is accurate, but it didn’t hurt sales,” he says of Marchionne. “If anything it drew a little more attention to it.”
http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/fia...executive-says
Old 07-03-14, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Regardless, the executive says there are “no excuses” for the survey results, adding
“We’ll be significantly improved in that study next year.”
I agree that there's always room for improvement. But, compared to the days (and I remember them well) when FIAT meant Fix it Again, Tony, 206 problems per 100 cars is not even on the same planet.
Old 07-04-14, 04:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

IQS is not a quality survey... it is basically sales experience survey. VDS is quality survey.