Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2014 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 09:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Surprised Cadillac is doing poorly bec they have a lot of new products out - ATS, CTS, Escalade, and ELR coupe.
Imo - their Pricing is way too aggressive, as the average luxury car buyer still doesnt view Cadillac equal to the Germans or even Lexus.

Infiniti - this company is so poorly managed and the name changes are a disaster.
Any positive that the 1st Gen G35 coupe/sedan built is gone.

Audi - wow what ca u say, very impressive. New A4 will help as well.
Old 07-01-14, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Honestly I don't care, its easier for me. I started separating Buick vs Acura only but its not that serious lol..
OK, fine.....just asking. Buick and Acura are natural competitors in some ways.

So for now I'll group them in there, if anyone wants to do differently be my guest. Note no one last month produced any list.
If my memory is right, Andrew used to post the sales-list each month, but he hasn't posted much at all recently.
Old 07-01-14, 10:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall

If my memory is right, Andrew used to post the sales-list each month, but he hasn't posted much at all recently.
Acura = Buick. Same things...

Mike, Andrew and I started it years ago and I've been continuing it every month for the past near decade

Old 07-01-14, 10:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I see it personally:

Tier 1: Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover/Range Rover

Tier 2: Acura, Buick, Infiniti, Lincoln, Cadillac

I will note that I see Cadillac quickly making their way into Tier 1 with a new flagship on the way, and a few new CUVs after that.
Old 07-01-14, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Acura down 12%, out of 11,206 units, 8,375 were SUVs...egads...

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...une-2014-sales

Not one sedan broke 1,000 units as they ready for the delayed TLX.

Old 07-01-14, 10:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I will note that I see Cadillac quickly making their way into Tier 1 with a new flagship on the way, and a few new CUVs after that.
Tier 1 is MB BMW and Audi as they truly have complete lineups which include sedans, suvs, coupes, roadsters, and Performance vehicles.

Lexus is not there yet, and Jaguar/LR are not either.
I would put them at tier 2.
Old 07-01-14, 10:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I personally have a hard time seeing Audi as Tier 1 and Lexus/Jaguar/LR/RR as Tier 2 when Audi doesn't even offer a RWD vehicle. In some markets, you can get a FWD A8, for example. I also perceive Jaguar to be a more prestigious brand than Audi, and I think that in America, most would place Lexus above Audi as well.

You definitely have a point about coupes, roadsters and high performance though.
Old 07-01-14, 10:21 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

caddy is way way above acura and buick. clearly a tier above. so you basically have to break it down to 3 groups.
Old 07-01-14, 10:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Tier 1 is MB BMW and Audi as they truly have complete lineups which include sedans, suvs, coupes, roadsters, and Performance vehicles.

By your own definition JLR covers all of those bases and has a much higher average selling price than BMW as it sells nothing at the low end. One could just as easily argue that BMW and others who dominate at the low end (3 Series and below) are in tier two. I actually see them all as tier one, but I think your logic is flawed....
Old 07-01-14, 10:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
caddy is way way above acura and buick. clearly a tier above. so you basically have to break it down to 3 groups.
I would agree - I think Cadillac might occupy Tier 2 all buy itself, and the others are solidly Tier 3!
Old 07-01-14, 10:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 765 Likes on 534 Posts

Whenever the tier argument comes up, headaches are sure to follow
Old 07-01-14, 10:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Infiniti - this company is so poorly managed and the name changes are a disaster.
Any positive that the 1st Gen G35 coupe/sedan built is gone.
The way that Audi has pummeled over Acura and Infiniti (and Cadillac) in two years is nothing short of remarkable. Congrats to them on a job well done with solid products and great marketing/advertising. Sadly, Infiniti and Acura have neither, and the numbers are clear proof.
I'm going to cut Infiniti some slack, as its going to take some time for Johan de Nysschen's influence to truly set in. The fact that he sent the Q60 back to the drawing board is promising. I would judge Infiniti moving forward by the upcoming Q30 and QX30.

Also remember Infiniti's product is all old outside of the Q50, which was already much too far along for Johan to influence 100%. All of their SUV's, Q70, and Q60 need to be replaced in order to bring Infiniti in line with its aspirations.
Old 07-01-14, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Yeah, Lexus should sell a bunch of A series, 1 Series, A1, A2, A3, 4 cylinder cars etc to be considered Tier 1 Remember in Europe they are not that big of a deal compared to here.

Lexus is considered Tier 1 throughout the industry. Only people on the internet say otherwise. Today Audi has done a great job in America and Lexus has done a great job outside of America where both warrant Tier 1 status.

I think we all are well aware Lexus does not have a bunch of V-12, AMG, etc cars but the LS has cemented Lexus as a Tier 1 brand.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm going to cut Infiniti some slack, as its going to take some time for Johan de Nysschen's influence to truly set in. The fact that he sent the Q60 back to the drawing board is promising. I would judge Infiniti moving forward by the upcoming Q30 and QX30.

Also remember Infiniti's product is all old outside of the Q50, which was already much too far along for Johan to influence 100%. All of their SUV's, Q70, and Q60 need to be replaced in order to bring Infiniti in line with its aspirations.
We have heard the same promises over and over again....betting hopes on two subcompacts doesn't really say much.

Old 07-01-14, 10:30 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is purely just me. i know this is wrong. but this is how i view brands. and you can't change me.

tier 1 - MB
tier 2 - BMW, Audi
tier 3 - jaguar

--------don't get pissy at me lexus fans. i just prefer european over lexus. i could careless about reliability and etc. i'm just a euro snob.

tier 4 - Lexus, land rover
tier 5 - caddy
tier 6 - infiniti
tier 7 - lincoln, acura
tier 8 - buick, VW
Old 07-01-14, 10:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have spoken to two Chevrolet dealers who are very unhappy with the new Tahoe and Suburban and are hurting because of "weak product," as they call them. Both said that that the styling has failed to attract buyers, and those who are interested have been met with sticker shock. I am not an expert on the pricing of previous models, but I was in one dealer who had an LTZ model (blk/blk), 4X4 with leather, nav, 20" wheels and a tow package and it was $68K. LT 4x2 Suburban with nothing but leather interior for $55k.

My first thought was, "That's a lot of money for what most people buy as a family hauler." According to dealers, it seems like most shoppers agree and it's taking steep discounts to move them off the lot.

Quick Reply: June 2014 Sales Thread