Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2014 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Agreed. folks lets get back to sales discussion and drop the "tier" off-topic arguments.

If you want to discuss that, start a new thread. Or better yet just search up old ones and read them.
Originally Posted by hlee12
not sure why you are bringing up toyota because we are talking about luxury tier, not mainstream tier. and what is the main reason why lexus isn't selling much in europe?

and sales & profit aren't that important to me. i'm sure most people think walmart is crap but they are #1 in sales and profits by a gigantic margin. and bulk of sales from mb/bmw/audi/lexus are from entry level luxury models. and if the sales/profits 1 & 2, then Jaguar/land rover would finish lower than acura. and IMO, the flagship argument is huge. S class is the king. it represents 'rich'.

and i completely forgot about porsche, and i think porsche is a tier above MB. but we all know porsche don't have enough lineups and too expensive to be a sales leader.

IMO luxury tier should always be about brand perception.

again my criteria is only about perception. 'rich' is the keyword.
hlee12, please exit this thread.
Old 07-02-14, 10:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
a lot of people i know say the cla is "weak" so maybe something to do with the 4 banger.
No...

Originally Posted by spwolf
they cant produce enough CLA's right now, not many at the dealers... so no dealing... while for C class they have huge stocks of highly discounted outgoing model.

You can check cars.com for inventory situations (rough) - 760 CLAs vs 12000 C classes.
Yes. I've said this in previous threads- you're not going to see CLA sales in large numbers until the end of the summer due to a worldwide shortage. Mercedes sent this alert to dealers all the way back in January.
Old 07-02-14, 01:09 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 708 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it does not work that way... Audi sells less because they are still growing... they are having record sales right now. They were never a big brand and you cant tripple your sales overnight... they might reach competition in 3-4-5 years from now in the USA, if everything continues to go perfectly for them.

Lexus sells less right now because they were down after recalls and floods PLUS they have much less models these days. Even after NX and RC are released, Lexus will still have less models than all 3. Lots of growth for Audi, BMW and MB came from lower end models, cars like CLA and X1 and A3 Sedans, cars that Lexus wont have at least for next 2 years.

We know of NX and RC, plus upcoming TX and possibly SC (as well as F models)... but that still leaves CT sedan and CT SUV that all of the germans are pushing right now.... thats significant yearly volume.
I actually think it *totally* works that way... Audi globally sells just as many cars as the other big two. It's in the US where Audi sales lag in comparison, and the simple and obvious reason for that is because MB and BMW make it easier and cheaper to buy or lease a BMW or MB than it is to do the same with an equivalent Audi. Lexus already has a solid US volume, but again tends to offer quite a lot less in the way of incentive dollars. Sales will always follow the money. When you offer subvented and subsidized money and leases, artificially inflate residuals and make it easy to get in to a more expensive car, you move more metal. Audi and Lexus simply haven't done this to the same degree as the others two big players. That probably benefits profitability, but it hurts volume.

Last edited by swajames; 07-02-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 07:36 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I actually think it *totally* works that way... Audi globally sells just as many cars as the other big two. It's in the US where Audi sales lag in comparison, and the simple and obvious reason for that is because MB and BMW make it easier and cheaper to buy or lease a BMW or MB than it is to do the same with an equivalent Audi.
No. BMW & MB outsell Audi in the US because of brand perception and perceived quality of product. If Audi undercut their prices in competing segments, BMW & MB would still outsell Audi here. Regardless of how well they're currently doing in the US, the Audi name does not carry nearly the brand perception and class that MB & BMW do, or Lexus for that matter, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 07-02-14, 07:57 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
No. BMW & MB outsell Audi in the US because of brand perception and perceived quality of product. If Audi undercut their prices in competing segments, BMW & MB would still outsell Audi here. Regardless of how well they're currently doing in the US, the Audi name does not carry nearly the brand perception and class that MB & BMW do, or Lexus for that matter, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Well, I disagree. BMW and MB drive US sales through incentives. Their brand is strong, no doubt, but they make it very easy to buy their products. One arguably feeds the other. I agree Audi and Lexus may still sell fewer cars, but they would close the gap if they threw money at deals they way MB and BMW do.
Old 07-02-14, 08:33 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Well, I disagree. BMW and MB drive US sales through incentives. Their brand is strong, no doubt, but they make it very easy to buy their products. One arguably feeds the other. I agree Audi and Lexus may still sell fewer cars, but they would close the gap if they threw money at deals they way MB and BMW do.
Not for anything, but this kind of talk is just hearsay. Do you have links to prove that BMW & MB offer higher incentives than Lexus or Audi do? I'm not suggesting that they don't offer incentives, because they all do. But to suggest that the only reason why they're outselling the rest is because MB & BMW are some bargain basement luxury brands that practically give away cars is complete nonsense. Believe me, Audi wants desperately to outsell BMW in the US. But the fact is, more people want to drive a 3 Series (the benchmark of entry level luxury sedans) than a FWD A4. And that has nothing to do with incentives. That has to do with reputation and years upon years of positive reviews on the 3 Series. That brand perception has been developed and is firmly implanted into the minds of potential buyers in the US. Audi does not have that kind of perception here.
Old 07-02-14, 08:44 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Not for anything, but this kind of talk is just hearsay. Do you have links to prove that BMW & MB offer higher incentives than Lexus or Audi do? I'm not suggesting that they don't offer incentives, because they all do. But to suggest that the only reason why they're outselling the rest is because MB & BMW are some bargain basement luxury brands that practically give away cars is complete nonsense. Believe me, Audi wants desperately to outsell BMW in the US. But the fact is, more people want to drive a 3 Series (the benchmark of entry level luxury sedans) than a FWD A4. And that has nothing to do with incentives. That has to do with reputation and years upon years of positive reviews on the 3 Series. That brand perception has been developed and is firmly implanted into the minds of potential buyers in the US. Audi does not have that kind of perception here.
Google is your friend. Research data on incentive spend by brand is available. It's also been posted here on CL. Lexus and Audi invest less than BMW and MB in each sale.
Old 07-02-14, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Google is your friend. Research data on incentive spend by brand is available. It's also been posted here on CL. Lexus and Audi invest less than BMW and MB in each sale.
You are correct.

I hate I saw what you quoted. He is wrong of course, Cadillac, Infiniti, Benz, BMW offer the highest incentives. Audi does not want to catch BMW/Benz here as their business proposition is NOT revolving around volume here. All this has been very well documented. Worldwide, it is a different story as Benz/BMW/Audi all sell 1 million vehicles.

MPLexus like myself are in the industry and sometimes share some insight (though what MP is sharing is NOTHING new at all and its not a bad thing, he is simply stating that internally BMW/Benz have been given the go ahead to sell how they can whatever they can as they both try to get the sales crown in America. this is NO DIFFERENT than late last year).

Of course BMW/Benz sell b/c they do sell a wide range of fantastic products and have the panache and image to boot. Its a win win. However it is also correct in chasing volume, they are making it easier to obtain one of their vehicles.

Recent expert articles have questioned if chasing all this volume will eventually hurt their image/prestige if the general public begins to feel that it is too accessible and no longer special. I think as long as they make crazy AMG and top end cars they will be fine.

Old 07-02-14, 09:08 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Right, so completely ignore the rest of my post and keep thinking that incentives are the only reason why MB & BMW outsell the rest
It has nothing to do with offering a high quality product, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they are known for superior engineering, safety, and performance, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they offer more product and more product choices than all other luxury brands, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they have a stellar reputation, right? Audi has no reputation here. And without the RX & ES, Lexus sales in the US would be below Lincoln. But hey, you go right ahead and keep thinking that incentives are the only reason why they are more successful here than Audi and Lexus.
Old 07-02-14, 09:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Right, so completely ignore the rest of my post and keep thinking that incentives are the only reason why MB & BMW outsell the rest
It has nothing to do with offering a high quality product, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they are known for superior engineering, safety, and performance, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they offer more product and more product choices than all other luxury brands, right? It has nothing to do with the fact that they have a stellar reputation, right? Audi has no reputation here. And without the RX & ES, Lexus sales in the US would be below Lincoln. But hey, you go right ahead and keep thinking that incentives are the only reason why they are more successful here than Audi and Lexus.
I'm sure all those factor in. But it's trunk money, inflated residuals and subvented interest rates that actually moves the cars.
Old 07-02-14, 09:16 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
You are correct.

I hate I saw what you quoted. He is wrong of course, Cadillac, Infiniti, Benz, BMW offer the highest incentives.
I'm wrong about what? I asked for a link and I didn't get one. I ask you for links all the time and I never get one either. By your (and his) ridiculous logic, the 4 brands you just listed would be the 4 highest selling luxury brands in the US and that is not the case, so you are both wrong.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Audi does not want to catch BMW/Benz here as their business proposition is NOT revolving around volume here. All this has been very well documented. Worldwide, it is a different story as Benz/BMW/Audi all sell 1 million vehicles.
Ha! as if they could if they wanted to. Sure, it's easy to say they don't want to catch BMW & MB in sales here but the fact of the matter is, they can't. Audi has about the same brand perception here as Acura. And a couple years ago they weren't even at Acura levels.
Old 07-02-14, 09:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

It's really not that difficult to grasp.

MB and BMW sell more cars than they otherwise would as they invest more heavily in incentives.

Audi and Lexis sell fewer than they otherwise would as they don't.

In the specific cases of Cadillac and Infinti, they invest more in their own sales as their brands and product (at this time) aren't as strong as the other four premium brands in question.

Again, none of this is difficult to grasp. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the business models or strategies, but MB and BMW as one group and Cadillac and Infiniti as the other incentivize their sales and invest in building their market share for different reasons.

Last edited by swajames; 07-02-14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 11:16 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re: Lexus Sales

Interesting to see that the GX now sells better than the GS, since April in fact. The GX is selling tremendously right now compared to last year, and it looks like it's sustaining the gains since its mid-cycle refresh. I'm curious how it will affect Lexus plans or rumors to make the RX a 7-seater and the possible introduction of the TX.

Also, the CT gains since refresh has fizzled a bit although it's still up 12% YTD. I wonder why sales of the low-end Lexus model has not caught on unlike the new A3 which went from selling in the mid-hundreds last year to 2,000+ in the past 3 months. It's still unclear to me whether the CT is a success or not, although I guess it's doing well with its best June performance yet since its 2011 introduction.
Old 07-03-14, 04:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ha! as if they could if they wanted to. Sure, it's easy to say they don't want to catch BMW & MB in sales here but the fact of the matter is, they can't. Audi has about the same brand perception here as Acura. And a couple years ago they weren't even at Acura levels.
Eh I wouldn't go that far. The fact they sell the RS7, A6/S7, Q7, and A8 should tell you that people see Audi as something better than Acura. They don't sell in blistering numbers mind you, but still.
Old 07-03-14, 07:02 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I would say that Audi is doing a lot better brand wise than Acura around Chicago land.

I work at one of the big employers and I see a mix of every model of Audi on campus except for the R8.

For Acura, the MDX (no surprise) is the predominant model and no RLX (isn't that a Ralph Lauren brand, whatever).

Quick Reply: June 2014 Sales Thread