Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What cars have Forward Collision Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 07:40 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I have it in my Q50 and it is pretty cool.

When you have an image of the rear of a car on the center of the display you know the system has locked onto the vehicles in front of you (the system looks ahead of the car in front of your also).

It is most useful on the highway as the car does most of the braking for me. I would provide a counter point to MMarshall as I just have gotten used to driving with the aid. I would not say I am not paying attention. I would more likely say that the car is covering a part of the driving job.

My system also does some steering. I find the semi-automated system to be so so and do not tend to rely on it. I do let it make some corrections/minor turning, particularly as the highway bends.

I just figure I am easing myself into the autonomous car future.
Old 07-02-14, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I would provide a counter point to MMarshall as I just have gotten used to driving with the aid. I would not say I am not paying attention. I would more likely say that the car is covering a part of the driving job.
Hey, no problem. If you are actually paying attention (too many people don't), that's what matters (and I commend you for it), not whether you agree with me or not. But I still would rather not have to pay for things in a new car that I find I don't need, even if I can afford it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 07:52 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

mm

We are aligned

The nanny stuff and apps are the in things to boost pricing, so they will continue to penetrate the market.

I just wish all the nannies came std on Chryslers with no shut off switch.

I also wish Chryslers had mind sensors to predict when the driver was about to change lanes and would then activate the turn signal (something a high percentage of Chrysler drivers are not able to do on their own).
Old 07-02-14, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
then activate the turn signal (something a high percentage of Chrysler drivers are not able to do on their own).

That's because, on many older Chrysler products, the turn-signals and electrical systems were unreliable enough (by American standards) that the signals sometimes didn't flash even when you did use the stalk. You have to have owned or driven some of those older Chrysler products to see just how much better they have become in the last 4-5 years.
Old 07-02-14, 09:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was browsing another forum a while ago and someone blamed their pre-collision feature for them rear-ending another car - at something stupid like 15mph - because the car didn't stop itself. Options like these **** me off. If you really need such an option don't buy a car, buy a bus pass. I understand things like the parking sensors and what not but if you really need a car to stop for you, please, please don't drive.
Old 07-02-14, 09:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I was browsing another forum a while ago and someone blamed their pre-collision feature for them rear-ending another car - at something stupid like 15mph - because the car didn't stop itself. Options like these **** me off. If you really need such an option don't buy a car, buy a bus pass. I understand things like the parking sensors and what not but if you really need a car to stop for you, please, please don't drive.
QFT
Old 07-03-14, 05:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

It's not about needing a car to stop you. It's about wanting effective modern safety systems. Everyone is distracted at one point or another, if a technology will make driving safer for me or my family I'm all for it.

Issue is with this technology it's still unreliable. Hence why I deactivated it. What I wanted out of the package was the radar cruise control. That works great!
Old 07-03-14, 06:36 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have it on my 2011 MDX Advance and, while I believe I am very attentive while driving, I like having the technology. As mentioned, it is not foolproof as a guardrail on curves of winding roads will sometimes trigger the system.
Old 07-03-14, 07:41 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It's not about needing a car to stop you. It's about wanting effective modern safety systems. Everyone is distracted at one point or another, if a technology will make driving safer for me or my family I'm all for it.

Issue is with this technology it's still unreliable. Hence why I deactivated it. What I wanted out of the package was the radar cruise control. That works great!
IMO, and not suggesting that I am right, but it IS about needing a car to stop for you. Giving people that extra "safety system" gives some drivers one more excuse to be just a little bit more careless because they end up counting on technology to save them - from themselves.
Old 07-03-14, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, and not suggesting that I am right, but it IS about needing a car to stop for you. Giving people that extra "safety system" gives some drivers one more excuse to be just a little bit more careless because they end up counting on technology to save them - from themselves.
True, and it can also bode poorly when people who are used to (or get used to) technology like that suddenly find themselves in an older, cheaper, or less-sophisticated vehicle that may lack those features. You then have a distracted driver rolling along in an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07-03-14, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As someone that has cars with these technologies, I can tell you that at least for me thats not an issue. For years I had blind spot warning in the Lexus and not in the Jeep. I still checked my blind spots. I have FCW and radar cruise in the Jeep now and not in the Lexus. I don't rear end people on cruise control when I get back in the Lexus.

Accidents are down, traffic deaths are down, cars are getting safer not more dangerous. Automated cars are coming...we've all got to come to terms with that.
Old 07-03-14, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Automated cars are coming...we've all got to come to terms with that.
Only if the public accepts it. A perfect example is what happened in 1974 when the government tried to force starter-interlocks with front seat belts/occupants. The public made such an outcry that the regulation was rescinded within six months.
Old 07-03-14, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The public well accept it. We're not talking about the government forcing anything here. These driving aids are not mandated by the government, the free market is driving their invention and inclusion in new vehicles.

The public doesn't want to drive anymore. They want to text and surf the web while their cars drive.
Old 07-03-14, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The public well accept it. We're not talking about the government forcing anything here. These driving aids are not mandated by the government, the free market is driving their invention and inclusion in new vehicles.

The public doesn't want to drive anymore. They want to text and surf the web while their cars drive.
I agree, the public does not really want to drive. I would pay big bucks for a few features I don't have on my Corolla.

1. Radar cruise control

2. Some sort of traffic stop and go cruise control.

3. Blind spot detection. I have small mirrors within the mirror, I don't like to have to turn my head

As for some of the other stuff, my back up cameea is awesome. The back up camera should be on every car. I like the air bags, eight total and I have brake override on the accelerator.

I am all for more safety features.
Old 07-03-14, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
he back up camera should be on every car.
They will be very shortly. Federally mandated.

Quick Reply: What cars have Forward Collision Braking System