Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mulally wanted to kill Lincoln as late as last year, Fields vows to turn it around

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.............and in the used car market, where it is enjoying brisk sales (and taking away sales from some new Lincolns).
So, if they announced that the Town Car would be resurrected, would you hurry down to a Ford/Lincoln dealership and trade in your Verano for one?
Old 07-03-14, 08:47 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

If they did some tweaking of the MKS's design, threw it on a RWD/AWD platform and offered a 5.0, they would have a real contender IMO. Watching Lincoln is like watching a close friend make a constant series of stupid decisions while knowing that they are fully capable of doing really well. It's painful, really.

I don't think they need to resurrect the Town Car(but it would be cool if they did). They just need to get back to that vein. A high quality, stand-out product that floats on its own merit.

Jill points out that she didn't know which car is which. Part of that is clearly because of the nomenclature, but I think another part is that there really isn't anything distinguishing about these models.

It's so frustrating knowing that Ford/Lincoln has the resources to turn Lincoln around, but they keep choosing NOT to.
Old 07-03-14, 10:39 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Exactly, well said .
Another problem with Lincoln is their lineup is confusing. Aside from the Navigator , I have no idea which model is which but I will say that the Lincoln model that is based of the fusion is pretty compelling and is a formidable competitor of the ES350.
I completely agree. I knew the Navi but aside from that I have no idea what MK[?] goes with what car / crossover / suv. I'm into cars and I'm confused, I can't imagine a casual consumer getting it straight.
Old 07-03-14, 10:49 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If they did some tweaking of the MKS's design, threw it on a RWD/AWD platform and offered a 5.0, they would have a real contender IMO. Watching Lincoln is like watching a close friend make a constant series of stupid decisions while knowing that they are fully capable of doing really well. It's painful, really.

Jill points out that she didn't know which car is which. Part of that is clearly because of the nomenclature, but I think another part is that there really isn't anything distinguishing about these models.

It's so frustrating knowing that Ford/Lincoln has the resources to turn Lincoln around, but they keep choosing NOT to.
^ This!

I would love to see the TC and Continental names come back, but on some really premium product. Not just dressed up Ford platforms. When the Lexus LS debuted in the US 20+ years ago it was on a platform not available anywhere else in Toyota's US line up. It's unique platform signaled it was an "aspirational" vehicle, not just a "dressed up" Toyota. Ford needs similar investment in a high-end flagship with a distinctive powertrain and advanced technology to get people excited about the brand.

Think about it, someone already mentioned have the right engines. I'm sure there are a ton of Ford/Lincoln fans out there that would be excited to get a luxury saloon with Mustang's brawny 5.0L V8. Get the suspension right and Lincoln would have a legit S550/750 fighter. Hell Ford could even drop the GT500's 5.8L 660+hp V8 in the same car and they instantly have an S65-type flagship "super sedan" that the press will go crazy over. Sure, it will sell in low volumes but a "Lincoln" badge and well appointed interior means they could sell those same 5.0/5.8L engines in $75/100K+ packages instead of at the current GT/GT500's $40/65k price point. #duh

Last edited by blacksun; 07-03-14 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-03-14, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
So, if they announced that the Town Car would be resurrected, would you hurry down to a Ford/Lincoln dealership and trade in your Verano for one?
Probably not, but several of my neighbors likely would....they've complained about the TC's disappearance more than I have. One of my neighbors already has a two-tone TC (silver and pearl-white), and he loves it. I find the TC a little tight for my condo parking-space, though. The Verano offers much of the TC's ride-quietness in a smaller, more maneuverable, easier-to-park package.
Old 07-03-14, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksun
I completely agree. I knew the Navi but aside from that I have no idea what MK[?] goes with what car / crossover / suv. I'm into cars and I'm confused, I can't imagine a casual consumer getting it straight.
It's not that difficult. I spelled it out for you guys in post #36. Here's a repost:

MKZ......Ford Fusion-based mid-size sedan.

MKX.....Ford Edge-based mid-size SUV.

MKT......Ford Flex-based SUV positioned between mid and full-size.

MKS.....Ford Taurus-based sedan, Lincoln's current largest passenger-car.

MKC.....upcoming Ford Escape-based compact SUV.
Old 07-03-14, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

It's not that difficult. I spelled it out for you guys in post #36. Here's a repost:
Obviously people are finding it difficult. Its not our job as consumers to understand and want a company's products...its the company's job to make it easy to understand and to generate that desire.
Old 07-03-14, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Obviously people are finding it difficult. Its not our job as consumers to understand and want a company's products...its the company's job to make it easy to understand and to generate that desire.
The Lincoln naming is downright terrible and utterly confusing. The Cadillac naming is very good, Lexus is good, BMW is straight forward except there are a lot of models, Audi is simple, MB is sort of like BMW and Infiniti is fine either past or present.

I would of included Acura but they are more a premium brand than they are luxury and Buick is not luxury either.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-03-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yeah I have an issue with alphanumeric names where the model identification comes last. I have the same issue with Infiniti's new nomenclature. Audi doesn't bother me.
Old 07-03-14, 01:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

iirc 'MK' represents 'Mark' like other Lincoln predecessors
Old 07-03-14, 03:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Still doesn't help much when they're virtually undistinguishable.

Old 07-03-14, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS

Certainly I agree that auto marketing could be a lot better than it is. I myself am often among the first to criticize marketing that I don't think makes sense. The current trend in upmarket/luxury cars, like it or not, is to do just that.....use alphabet-soup or letter/number combinations instead of simple names. Still, one can get used to even some (otherwise) confusing alphabet soup with daily use and discussion...like here on Car Chat.
Old 07-03-14, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Still doesn't help much when they're virtually undistinguishable.

Interesting post for its graphics, BrettJacks. But most of the indistinguishability of Lincoln products, one from another, is because of the Smiley-Tooth grilles and front ends, not necessarily from the body styling itself. The MKT (second from the left), for example, apart from the grille, looks markedly different from any other current Lincoln product.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

. The current trend in upmarket/luxury cars, like it or not, is to do just that.....use alphabet-soup or letter/number combinations instead of simple names. Still, one can get used to even some (otherwise) confusing alphabet soup with daily use and discussion...like here on Car Chat.
Current trend? Where have you been for the last 25+ years. Lexus has been using this naming strategy for 25 years now.

mmarshall , remember BMW and Mercedes having been doing it for a very long time.
Old 07-03-14, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Current trend? Where have you been for the last 25+ years. Lexus has been using this naming strategy for 25 years now.
Thats's my point. Some manufacturers have used it for awhile ...others now are following suit, making it a trend.

Where was I for 25 years? Well, I spent a good chunk of it (not all, of course) right here on Car Chat dealing with automotive issues.

Where it DOES get confusing, I'll admit, is when manufactures like BMW and M-B, (who you mention), start a pattern of numerical designations like 300 for a 3.0 engine-liter displacement or 280 for 2.8L, and then change the number without changing the engine size. That, I agree, is annoying.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-14 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Mulally wanted to kill Lincoln as late as last year, Fields vows to turn it around