Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 08:19 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
interesting. maybe it's because of familiarity? among african-americans, escalade is the ultimate respect car. i can't stand that thing, but it's everywhere. bling bling culture is deeply rooted in their culture. i respect that because i was into that stuff when i was young. i grew out of it, but most of my friends are still into that stuff. IMO, Caddy is still top 2-3 luxury brand for most african americans.[/
QUOTE]

This post has me cracking up...BS

While Caddy make excellent cars. I don't know one African American personally that owns a Caddy. A Benz is the ultimate respect car. The only people that mostly talk about Caddy are from the South. When the last time you seen an Escalade in a video?

FYI: Caddy is NOT the top 2-3 luxury brand for most African Americans.
Back on topics.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...ns-1691165.htm

http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=52

http://www.blacdetroit.com/core/page...%2F&mode=print

In my opinion Lexus shouldn't worry about the Mercedes S class. They should worry about Tesla. Electric vs Hy
I doubt the new LS will slow down the new S class sales. One thing for sure the new LS will be more reliable. Lexus should stick with what got them to this point and improve on it.
we all have different opinions, don't we?
i live in Chicago - and Caddy is extremely popular among african-americans. it's just my opinion. i have no facts. but i did grow up in south side. and i hoop with brothas all the time. IMO caddilac is in a same tier as lexus for many african american folks i've met. behind MB/BMW i guess. again, just my opinion.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-08-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 08:26 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Well not quite. All Audis have quattro as an option, but it's wholly possible to get a fwd Audi. I can still get an A3, A4, or A6 in fwd.

Seems to come standard in their SUVs, coupes, and A8 line
ah that's right. a3 is fwd. my friend has one. i told him he is an idiot to buy one.
Old 07-08-14, 08:29 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
we all have different opinions, don't we?
i live in Chicago - and Caddy is extremely popular among african-americans. it's just my opinion. i have no facts. but i did grow up in south side. and i hoop with brothas all the time. caddilac is clearly in a same tier as lexus for many african american folks i've met. behind MB i guess.
I totally agree everyone has a opinion.

But I post links to backup my opinion. Fact: MB is number one among blacks not Cadillac.

#2 maybe Lexus. See that's my opinion with no facts.

Another fact is that Caucasian seems to perfer Cad more than Blacks. Judging by the links I post.

I do feel Cad is equal to Lexus but the LS is on a different level than anything Cad offer right now.

What's the hold hoopla about the A8 being fwd? The company still offer a AWD version.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-08-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 08:44 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

I totally agree everyone has opinions.

But I post links to backup my opinion. Fact: MB is number one among blacks not Cadillac.

#2 maybe Lexus. See that's my opinion with no facts.

Another fact is that Caucasian seems to perfer Cad more than Blacks. Judging by the links I post.
i never said caddy is #1. maybe i shouldn't have said top 2-3. let me rephrase what i said. Caddy is treated like tier 1 (mb, bmw, audi, lexus) among african americans. i always wondered why because honestly, i think caddy is so far below than the big 4.

and apparently i'm not the one who thinks this way. just quickly searched and there are many asking the same question. maybe it's because Caddy always has been the symbol of wealth and the hip hop culture has created an illusion that caddy is still the best.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-08-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 08:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
saying the a8 is a fwd car with awd added is like saying, well... let's just say it's not accurate.
Except, that's exactly what the A8 is. It's built on VW's MLB front wheel drive architecture that supports AWD (Quattro). This is the same basic architecture that underpins the A4, A5 and A6.

the quattro system is a real all wheel drive system that has been evolved over 30+ years. the latest versions can send 85% of torque to the rear wheels.
Regardless of how old it is, Quattro is applied to FWD platforms to make them behave more like RWD cars by sending proportionately more power to the rear wheels. The only real exception is the R8 which was based off the Gallardo.

is the r8 a fwd car with awd always added? no, it's quattro.
Yes and no: You can get the A8 3.0 TDI in FWD, so it's not always AWD. Sometimes it's FWD .

The ugly truth is that Audi is the German equivalent of Acura, just with much better execution, products and marketing. What do I mean by that? Almost all of their products have FWD roots that are masked by a top-notch AWD system...just like Acura (until they cheaped-out on SH-AWD).
Old 07-08-14, 08:55 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

people don't view it that way. IMO, this is how they stereotype thinks -

1. LS is 'cheap' compared to germans.
2. hyndai/kia flagships are ridiculously 'overpriced' for a non luxury brand. 65k hyundai? lol

normal people probably don't even research like some of us here do. they just compare v8 prices and draw their own conclusion. and i think people don't really include amgs, hybrids, b7 etc in this conversation. conversation is usually about the good old v8.

and you are right, when you go to lexus lot, most LSs are probably priced between 80-95k. i don't think i've seen a stripper version of LS yet. most certainly it was over 80k. also i don't know if ls460 goes over 100k. i never tried to tick all the boxes on the website and haven't seen one at the dealer. i don't think i've seen the l600h.

so basically most people would think comparable S class costs about 20k more. and about 10k more for 7 or A8. that's how i think too. basically about 10-15% discount when you buy LS. so relatively speaking, LS is cheaper alternative to germans.
Yes, there are people who think a Mercedes is the best car you can buy because it is the most expensive. Lexus isn't trying to convince these people. They target a more informed (possibly more intelligent) consumer who doesn't believe correlation implies causation.

Last edited by Infra; 07-08-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 09:04 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Infra
Yes, there are people who think a Mercedes is the best car you can buy because it is the most expensive. Lexus isn't trying to convince these people. They target a more informed (possibly more intelligent) consumer who doesn't believe correlation implies causation.
Wow, so Lexus is going after the bourgeois... Interesting.
Old 07-08-14, 09:10 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If thats the case, why go through the bother of creating a separate brand from Toyota? I mean since Lexus owners are so well informed, they wouldn't care if it was badged a Toyota vs Lexus right?
Old 07-08-14, 09:15 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Give me a break.. Lexus is targeting whoever has the money to purchase their car.
Moving on...

I really don’t care what an Audi A8/S8 platform is basis off. Most companies don’t have a single car in their line up that can compete with the S8. This freaking thing is a monster.
520 hp… 3.6 0 to 60. Lord If only the car was reliable...

http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s8

Honestly Lexus should at least give the new LS’s 3 to 4 different engines. Stop with the conservative crap. Toyota you have the money. Spend It.
Old 07-08-14, 09:50 AM
LexFather

saying the a8 is a fwd car with awd added is like saying, well... let's just say it's not accurate.

the quattro system is a real all wheel drive system that has been evolved over 30+ years. the latest versions can send 85% of torque to the rear wheels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro...rive_system%29

is the r8 a fwd car with awd always added? no, it's quattro.
Sorry you are wrong and are giving the A8 a pass.

Originally Posted by Allen K
I agree. The German makes were resting on their laurels in the late 80s, early 90s and the LS woke them up. The LS and the rise of Lexus made them up their games and now we're all enjoying the spoils regardless of the brand you like.
Thanks. Consumers are winning. The 2017 LS won't be some 1989 reincarnation. That will never happen again unless the Chinese do it in the future.

S class can go over $200k which was unheard of in 1989.
accord and camry pushing 40k? unheard of in 1989.
i was bored and went to GM dealer and i saw a chevy tahoe with a price tag of 74k. unheard of in 1989. i almost puked in disgust.

interesting. maybe it's because of familiarity? among african-americans, escalade is the ultimate respect car. i can't stand that thing, but it's everywhere. bling bling culture is deeply rooted in their culture. i respect that because i was into that stuff when i was young. i grew out of it, but most of my friends are still into that stuff. IMO, Caddy is still top 2-3 luxury brand for most african americans.
Hlee you continue to talk about things you know nothing about now based on MTV videos. It is insulting to African Americans and to all enthusiasts in general.

Unbelievable.

Old 07-08-14, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Give me a break.. Lexus is targeting whoever has the money to purchase their car.
Moving on...

I really don’t care what an Audi A8/S8 platform is basis off. Most companies don’t have a single car in their line up that can compete with the S8. This freaking thing is a monster.
520 hp… 3.6 0 to 60. Lord If only the car was reliable...

http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s8

Honestly Lexus should at least give the new LS’s 3 to 4 different engines. Stop with the conservative crap. Toyota you have the money. Spend It.
Amen...It's the new car business...
Old 07-08-14, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

that's what i always thought - all audis are quattro.
didn't say that and it's not true.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Yes and no: You can get the A8 3.0 TDI in FWD, so it's not always AWD. Sometimes it's FWD .
i referred to the R8 not a8 there.

The ugly truth is that Audi is the German equivalent of Acura, just with much better execution, products and marketing.
that's funny. what's particularly funny is how emphatically fwd is put down on this forum when last month (and probably most months) 2/3rds of u.s. lexus sold are fwd or fwd based awd.

rwd is fun. rwd generally gives better weight balance. rwd generally gives better handling. but when sitting in traffic in a city or cruising on a highway (combined what probably 90% of people do), it's irrelevant.

audi's quattro system is excellent. oh and typically you don't get giant front wheel gaps like on the gs.
Old 07-08-14, 10:47 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Except, that's exactly what the A8 is. It's built on VW's MLB front wheel drive architecture that supports AWD (Quattro). This is the same basic architecture that underpins the A4, A5 and A6.

Regardless of how old it is, Quattro is applied to FWD platforms to make them behave more like RWD cars by sending proportionately more power to the rear wheels. The only real exception is the R8 which was based off the Gallardo.

The ugly truth is that Audi is the German equivalent of Acura, just with much better execution, products and marketing. What do I mean by that? Almost all of their products have FWD roots that are masked by a top-notch AWD system...just like Acura (until they cheaped-out on SH-AWD).
Please describe the weakness of using a platform that supports both transverse and longitudinal mountings for the engine, if you can. I'd love to hear it. Be specific, nothing like "worse dynamics" or other subjective feelings & emotions if you please, let's stick to quantifiable tangibles, and compare a RWD-based AWD system vs a FWD-based AWD system.

Quattro is not a FWD based system when the engine is mounted longitudinal. The only cars with a FWD based quattro are the A3 & the TT. All others include a center differential that then routes power to rear and front, and the cars can have a rear-biased torque split depending on model.

Let's not pretend the cars in this class are ever being driven to where the advantages of RWD are apparent over AWD. It's certainly easy to show examples of the opposite, however, in inclement weather. It doesn't need to be snowy; for example, AWD reacts much better when driving through standing water during heavy rainstorms in the spring/summer.

Originally Posted by jwong77
If thats the case, why go through the bother of creating a separate brand from Toyota? I mean since Lexus owners are so well informed, they wouldn't care if it was badged a Toyota vs Lexus right?
There's are advantages to creating a separate brand such as a different culture for the employees, that have a very real impact on the products that are developed.

Just because one isn't obsessed with the most expensive car doesn't mean one wants to drive the same brand as a mass market car; it's not a dichotomy. Regardless, my response was to someone claiming Lexus is perceived as "cheap" by some people. I'm speaking solely in regards to those people.
Old 07-08-14, 11:02 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

didn't say that and it's not true.

that's funny. what's particularly funny is how emphatically fwd is put down on this forum when last month (and probably most months) 2/3rds of u.s. lexus sold are fwd or fwd based awd.

rwd is fun. rwd generally gives better weight balance. rwd generally gives better handling. but when sitting in traffic in a city or cruising on a highway (combined what probably 90% of people do), it's irrelevant.

audi's quattro system is excellent. oh and typically you don't get giant front wheel gaps like on the gs.
+1, only internet fan boys with ***** about mundane cars being fwd and automatics. My dd is a fwd buick, and I like it that way. On nice days Ill pull out my cls63 for some quick thrills. Why am I telling you this? There is a place in the world for fwd based cars. Audi knows how to execute it pretty well however Acura doesn't. Acura markets their cars as the intelligent alternative sports sedan, but they don't deliver, thats why I don't like them. On the other hand Audi markets some cars as performance cars and they do deliver, therefor no gripe with fwd....
Old 07-08-14, 11:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Doh - my bad. You're right!

what's particularly funny is how emphatically fwd is put down on this forum when last month (and probably most months) 2/3rds of u.s. lexus sold are fwd or fwd based awd.
I don't have any problem with FWD or who sells FWD cars. For most buyers, it's a perfectly good solution. For the record, 95+% of Audi sales and 100% of Acura sales are cars that are FWD or an AWD system on a FWD platform. Mercedes' hottest selling product is FWD. BMW's new global platform for Mini and small cars is FWD. You don't find me poking fun at FWD...it has a perfectly good business case, especially when it puts enough money in the bank to fund fun projects like LFAs, R8s, S8s and RC Fs!

Agree 100%!

There you go with a GS jab...lol. Can't disagree though, as Lexus has a ways to go to make their cars "sit" like Quattro Audis.

Please describe the weakness of using a platform that supports both transverse and longitudinal mountings for the engine, if you can. I'd love to hear it. Be specific, nothing like "worse dynamics" or other subjective feelings & emotions if you please, let's stick to quantifiable tangibles, and compare a RWD-based AWD system vs a FWD-based AWD system.
Um, I don't have any? The A8 is a great car... that is based on a FWD platform. You're asking two different questions - one about platform architecture and another about FWD-biased vs. RWD-biased AWD systems. From what I can tell, Quattro and SH-AWD are the two best on the market. Does that make you happy? Why are you getting so personal here?

Quattro is not a FWD based system when the engine is mounted longitudinal. The only cars with a FWD based quattro are the A3 & the TT. All others include a center differential that then routes power to rear and front, and the cars can have a rear-biased torque split depending on model.
I'm not saying Quattro is an FWD-biased or based system. It's put on FWD cars to make them drive better.

Let's not pretend the cars in this class are ever being driven to where the advantages of RWD are apparent over AWD. It's certainly easy to show examples of the opposite, however, in inclement weather. It doesn't need to be snowy; for example, AWD reacts much better when driving through standing water during heavy rainstorms in the spring/summer.
Who is pretending? Not me.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-08-14 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow