Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 06:44 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexus needs to do something because MB is selling nearly 2000 S class every month at much higher msrp.

June sales

LS - 582
Equus & K900 - 474
XJ - 408
Q70 - 379
RLX - 229

i do dig LS's interior. exterior is ok IMO. but IMO, it needs to get better.
Old 07-04-14, 06:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Besides reliability and overall build quality, there is no other reason to get an LS at this point.

All of its main competitors are superior in power, driving dynamics, luxury features, and customization.

Sclass, 7series, A8, XJ
Except when you actually compare these cars in person, and realize all of that is bull****.

Originally Posted by hlee12
lexus needs to do something because MB is selling nearly 2000 S class every month at much higher msrp.

June sales

LS - 582
Equus & K900 - 474
XJ - 408
Q70 - 379
RLX - 229

i do dig LS's interior. exterior is ok IMO. but IMO, it needs to get better.
Lol nice attempt at shoehorning the Korean pretenders. Q70 and RLX are not comparable.

YTD sales:

XJ: 2322
A8: 2634
LS: 3954
7er:- 4711
S-class: 11231

The LS is from 2007, A8 is from 2011, 7er is from 2009, S-class is new. This is not a Lexus only problem, it's an issue for everyone who isn't the S-class.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 07-04-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 06:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Except when you actually compare these cars in person, and realize all of that is bull****.
Not sure what u mean by that???
The build quality and attention to detail on all these cars are AMAZING.

LS is lacking big time on performance compared to base versions of its competitors - im not even talking bout S63, S8, Alpina 7, XJR - i mean LS is not even in the same ballgame with those other cars.

Luxury owners in that segment want to pick and choose colors, options, etc.
Lexus is very limited in this regard.
LS Fsport was nice addition but very limited....

My dad had an 08 LS460 and now he has an 12 XJL - besides the Nav system, the Jag is on another level.
Old 07-04-14, 07:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Not sure what u mean by that???
The build quality and attention to detail on all these cars are AMAZING.

LS is lacking big time on performance compared to base versions of its competitors - im not even talking bout S63, S8, Alpina 7, XJR - i mean LS is not even in the same ballgame with those other cars.

Luxury owners in that segment want to pick and choose colors, options, etc.
Lexus is very limited in this regard.
LS Fsport was nice addition but very limited....

My dad had an 08 LS460 and now he has an 12 XJL - besides the Nav system, the Jag is on another level.
From my experience the LS has the best interior in the segment right now, not by looking at photos, not by reading reviews, by actually sitting in the cars back to back and comparing. The performance variations of the other cars are niche, they're not the volume drivers, so it's not a solution to low volume.

The limited customization is a legit problem, but I question its true impact.

The biggest problem with the LS is that it's old. The L-finesse styling and the interior/exterior refresh have aged it well, but it's been over 8 years now, time for a new one.
Old 07-04-14, 07:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

From my experience the LS has the best interior in the segment right now, not by looking at photos, not by reading reviews, by actually sitting in the cars back to back and comparing. The performance variations of the other cars are niche, they're not the volume drivers, so it's not a solution to low volume.

The limited customization is a legit problem, but I question its true impact.

The biggest problem with the LS is that it's old. The L-finesse styling and the interior/exterior refresh have aged it well, but it's been over 8 years now, time for a new one.
Agreed. The current 13/14 LS interior is simply a stunning work of art at least for me it is. The 07-12 was flawed, dated, and boring right from the release date. Same with the exterior.

I should also mention that I meant to say that I hope Lexus does NOT make the LS a hybrid only model. That is what I meant to say.
Old 07-04-14, 07:24 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

While the refresh interior is nice, the exterior tend to look odd from most angles.
Old 07-04-14, 07:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow
As they should be. This year the NX and RC get the spotlight, GS refresh and F and RX in 2015, and a new LS likely in 2016. I have no doubt the next LS will be 8th wonder of the world.
Old 07-04-14, 09:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
While the refresh interior is nice, the exterior tend to look odd from most angles.
I don't agree with you, the exterior looks much better than before
Old 07-05-14, 09:05 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

perception is the reality. LS maybe as good as germans, but probably many people think it is inferior in driving dynamics. it's just like people thinking LS is 10 times more reliable than germans.

Lol nice attempt at shoehorning the Korean pretenders. Q70 and RLX are not comparable.

YTD sales:

XJ: 2322
A8: 2634
LS: 3954
7er:- 4711
S-class: 11231

The LS is from 2007, A8 is from 2011, 7er is from 2009, S-class is new. This is not a Lexus only problem, it's an issue for everyone who isn't the S-class.
it's alarming that lexus only sold 100 ish more than korean pretenders with no luxury badge in june. if i'm lexus i would freak out. and all i did was including other flagships with poor sales in june and compare that to the king - s class which is mentioned in this thread. i didn't have a8 number with me. i knew a8 was struggling forever. we need a new thread for that. it's downright pathetic. lol

and doesn't matter if LS is from 2007. most thinks it's new. it has a new face and new interior. it successfully wears the new lexus design language. and IMO, that's the problem.

Originally Posted by spwolf
2014 LS looks pretty damn good... the segment is dying - just because Ward Auto added Panamera and A7 and Tesla S to it, doesnt meant it is not dying.

I would think that a lot of Tesla S buyers would never consider car like LS or S class. IMHO Panamera and A7 are not exactly the same class.

As to competition being better, obviously MB is all new, but LS can easily hold its own vs A8 and 7 series, as the sales numbers show - it outsold them all YTD.
can't say it's dying when MB is selling nearly 2000 s classes every month. it's like Jordan playing with bunch of orlando woodridges. get better and people will buy. 7series is awful(hate the huge nostril), a8 doesn't stand out on the road(a8 always lacked presence IMO), LS looks like a spaceship to many(i like it, but spindle grill is love/hate) etc, etc. XJ never really sold well in past 8-10 years so doesn't even matter.

just get better like S class did. it will sell.

Originally Posted by BrickHead
We have bought two LS in the past. I guess you can call us loyal Lexus fans. We love the Lexus reliability and wanted very much to get the 2013 LS when it was launched in late 2012. However, I have to be honest with you guys, the current LS looks so hideous! We hardly see any new LS around town. We have leased two MB GL450 in the past years. When/If Lexus designs a classy and nice looking LS we will come back to the Lexus family. Until then, we are Lexus expatriates
my parents also owned 2 LSs and they are almost disgusted by the radical change. they are old korean folks who loved past LSs more than any other cars out there. i'm pretty sure this is one of the biggest reason why LS isn't doing as well as they used to be.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't agree with you, the exterior looks much better than before
i agree too. but IMO it lost the flagship presence a little.

this is a major problem. targeting younger demo wanting to be more hip.

IMO, LS should always focus on these people. eh, like my dad.

who are their core target market? young loaded dudes in late 30's? no. it's the 50's and 60's with money playing golf, wanting the ultimate comfort in I-95. this love/hate design drives away many potential buyers IMO because no matter how great it maybe, it's not them. it takes too long to get used to. they must be opening up their wallet and buy new S class because one looks like a proper flagship, but other looks like an alien spaceship to them.

i understand the logic behind the targeting young, wanting LS to look younger and bolder. but obviously it is not working.
by the way, i actually love the look of LS. it works for me. but i'm 35 and i never really liked previous LSs.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 09:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

yeah these ads always featuring stylish 30s/40s couples getting into or out of the car at a hotel or other fancy building are so played out.

i get the idea... that you've "arrived" and make an "impression". a lot of people aren't looking to impress others though.
Old 07-05-14, 09:40 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that is an unsustainable demographic. The old will die off, the young who will become old will tend to look at brands that they have trusted in the past. You have to target young so that you get them when they are old
Old 07-05-14, 09:45 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
that is an unsustainable demographic. The old will die off, the young who will become old will tend to look at brands that they have trusted in the past. You have to target young so that you get them when they are old

i disagree. we are getting older and older. 60 is new 50 IMO. you want LS to be the ultimate retirement gift. you work hard all your life and your reward is a brand spankin new LS.

and i get the logic of targeting young. brands do that all the time. NFL is targeting teenage girls. MMA is targeting women and kids.
but obviously for LS, it's not working. it was a gamble IMO. gambling with your flagship can be dangerous.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 09:50 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

life expectancy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
it's only gonna go up. and you are targeting rich 60 year olds. they expect to live another 30 years comfortably. IMO, LS should rethink their target market.
Old 07-05-14, 09:59 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If you target old, you only get old. If you target young, you might get some young, and you also get some old people who want to be feel young. Also even though that commercial is for the LS, it is also a commercial for the Lexus brand. Young people are more likely to pay attention when there are young people on the screen. Then they might go out and buy an IS.
Old 07-05-14, 10:09 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
If you target old, you only get old. If you target young, you might get some young, and you also get some old people who want to be feel young. Also even though that commercial is for the LS, it is also a commercial for the Lexus brand. Young people are more likely to pay attention when there are young people on the screen. Then they might go out and buy an IS.
Lexus has plenty of young people's car, IS, RC, CT, and new NX. and Lexus already got cooler with LFA and LF-LC.

IMO consistency is important.

LS needs to go back to its original message.

IMO, LS should always be stately, elegant, and serene. it needs to be all about 'pursuit of perfection'. to me, the current LS looks like a provocative design statement. 'i don't want to be old anymore!'

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow