Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti CEO leaves after just two years

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 07:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Infiniti had its best years in the 2000s.

It established itself as a cheaper BMW with great driving dynamics and cool styling.
The Original G35 sedan and Coupe still look good today.
The 1st gen FX35 is still great as well.
The M35 & 45 also were cool and actually outsold the 3rd Gen GS for some months.

When all these models got redesigned in the 2010s - they lost all of their character and sportiness.
Infiniti is in no man's land so to speak. Too much competition from the Germans and Lexus.
Any good will it built is gone and it completely turned its back on the enthusiast drivers that went to the brand as a cheaper alternative to BMW.

The model name change to Q and QX is the final nail in the coffin for this brand...
Old 07-15-14, 07:52 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Lex2

The apps were disabled prior to delivery.

My understanding is that some apps would auto update while driving and creates some distractions to the driver. Infiniti decided that would be a liability thing and shut them down.

They haven't gotten a fix in place that I know of.

In terms of experience, I am kind of looking for some consistency. Design a cool carl, have great build quality, support the brand directly to the customer and make sure the dealer does the same. The first 2 items they are doing ok on, the second two no way.

I am not looking for a high touch experience. I just want to know that when I interact with someone at Infiniti or the dealership I will be speaking with some one who is accountable and has the ability to get stuff done to resolve issues. And yes, I would like Infiniti to be a bit proactive. I believe the reason they are not, is because it costs some money to do stuff for your customers, and they don't understand the need/importance of it.
Old 07-15-14, 08:26 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

It established itself as a cheaper BMW with great driving dynamics and cool styling.
The M35 & 45 also were cool and actually outsold the 3rd Gen GS for some months.

When all these models got redesigned in the 2010s - they lost all of their character and sportiness.
They completely screwed up the M line. When I saw the redesign for MY2011, I knew they were in trouble. They had huge success with the 2006-2010 M35/45, they should have chosen a more evolutionary design theme instead of completely curve-ifying it. They made it look too feminine in my opinion, toned down the rear-end (huge mistake), raised the price, and a lot of people lost interest. At least the refreshed Q70 looks promising and certainly more sporty/masculine than the current model.

Infiniti is in no man's land so to speak. Too much competition from the Germans and Lexus.
Any good will it built is gone and it completely turned its back on the enthusiast drivers that went to the brand as a cheaper alternative to BMW.

The model name change to Q and QX is the final nail in the coffin for this brand...
I don't think the name change is hurting them. The QX80, QX60, & Q50 are all selling fine. They're struggling more with their other two SUVs and a lack of product in the high end (no flagship) and need more entry level models that sell. If they hit a home run with the next QX50 (which should be their primary focus right now in my opinion), they will be right back in the game. They're just in the middle of refreshing their lineup and that takes time. I'll give them 2 years.
Old 07-15-14, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
They made it look too feminine in my opinion, toned down the rear-end (huge mistake), raised the price, and a lot of people lost interest. At least the refreshed Q70 looks promising and certainly more sporty/masculine than the current model.
What's "masculine" or 'feminine" about styling? In general, one either likes it or they don't (in some cases, neutral). I don't see where gender is an issue.
Old 07-15-14, 09:03 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

This sums it up just about right..

Overall it really is a similar scenario with all the Japanese brands. They peaked in the 2000s and after the Japanese tsunami they seem to have lost some of their edge to beefier offerings from American, European and Korean rivals..
Old 07-15-14, 09:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yowps3
This sums it up just about right..

Overall it really is a similar scenario with all the Japanese brands. They peaked in the 2000s and after the Japanese tsunami they seem to have lost some of their edge to beefier offerings from American, European and Korean rivals..
The name change is a disaster. They would gain sales just keeping the name G37 which gained a following and reputation. Maybe one day the ex-CEO can rationalize why one would rename an entire lineup after a failed product and a letter now popularized by Audi, the brand he left.

Old 07-15-14, 10:16 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
The name change is a disaster. They would gain sales just keeping the name G37 which gained a following and reputation. Maybe one day the ex-CEO can rationalize why one would rename an entire lineup after a failed product and a letter now popularized by Audi, the brand he left.
Indeed the name change really messed Infinit up.

The G37 sedan / coup / convertible were solid 3 series rivals
Q50 is just too big and chubby and the design is quite distorted and grumpy.
Old 07-15-14, 11:08 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

The name change is a disaster. They would gain sales just keeping the name G37 which gained a following and reputation.
Uhmm well, the G37 is still being sold.
And who knows, maybe they'll end up keeping it. No official word on when it will be rebadged a Q40. Since its not out yet and with Johan being gone, they could always change their minds. For all we know, others within Nissan could have been fighting with him over terminating the G in the first place and perhaps thats part of the reason they kept it around and still being sold as-is.

I actually have mixed feelings about them eliminating the "G" name simply due to its brand power. Heck, I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep both Q & G models in the lineup and have the G line be the more sporty lineup of vehicles and the Q line be the more traditional luxury line.

Originally Posted by yowps3
Indeed the name change really messed Infinit up.

The G37 sedan / coup / convertible were solid 3 series rivals
Q50 is just too big and chubby and the design is quite distorted and grumpy.
I don't think many people would agree with your opinion, including Lexfather himself. He did say it was either his favorite or one of his favorite designs out there right now and I and others would agree with that. Chubby? too big? Sorry, don't see what you're seeing. I see sleek lines all around. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion.
Old 07-16-14, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe one day the ex-CEO can rationalize why one would rename an entire lineup after a failed product and a letter now popularized by Audi, the brand he left.
Infiniti used the Q designation as far back as 1990, though, for its Q45 flagship, years before Audi adopted it for its SUV line. I see your point, though, in terms of the Q45 having been a sales failure, where the Audi Q SUVs, in comparison, have sold relatively well.
Old 08-25-14, 09:29 AM
zema
Driver

Johan's gone but his Infiniti plan stands

Dealers get a look at what de Nysschen had up his sleeve

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- Infiniti is reassuring U.S. dealers that its product expansion plans are on track, despite the defection of their chief architect, Johan de Nysschen, this summer.

The U.S. national dealer advisory board flew to Japan this month to meet with Andy Palmer, Nissan Motor Corp.'s global product development head and acting Infiniti boss. There they got confirmation firsthand that a rush of new cars, crossovers, engines and transmissions is coming through the end of this decade.

"Andy showed the dealers exactly what we have in the pipeline and what the cadence will be out to 2018," said Michael Bartsch, Infiniti's vice president for North America. "He gave them a face-to-face commitment that all the plans and strategies Johan laid out remain a commitment."

Matt Gunderson, owner of Infiniti of Mission Viejo, south of Los Angeles, and current chairman of the Infiniti Nation-al Dealer Advisory Board, says the visit had a calming effect.

"There was some concern in the dealer body that we might see a recalibration of Johan's vision since he left," Gunderson says. "But they told us what we hoped to hear -- that the plans remain on track.

"They even took us to the design center to show us future product that is way past the point of changing their mind."

De Nysschen stepped down as Infiniti president in July after just two years to become president of General Motors' Cadillac division in Detroit. He had wowed the global dealer body with an approved plan to overhaul Infiniti's product line, starting in 2015.

They include a 60 percent increase in the number of models by the end of this decade to eight sedans and coupes and five crossovers and SUVs. The plan also calls for doubling of the number of engines and transmissions during that period. Much of it comes through a growing product-sharing relationship with Daimler AG.

Bartsch, whom de Nysschen recruited from Porsche North America last year, says the most frequently asked question he has been getting is: "Where do we go without Johan?"

"We are locked in, and the course is being held exactly as it was left by Johan," Bartsch said during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance weekend.

"Johan left a very strong legacy with his signature on it," he said. "But it's a strategy that is endorsed by Carlos Ghosn and supported and pushed by Andy Palmer. They were the drivers of the vision of creating a luxury brand within the Nissan group.

"It's a strategy that is not owned by one person. Johan left us in a very strong position that will carry on."

Meanwhile, Bartsch says no decision has been reached on whether to green-light one new model -- the proposed 560-hp Q50 Eau Rouge Concept performance vehicle. -If it is built, the low-volume Eau Rouge would be an addition to Infiniti's other new-product plans.

During the weekend of luxury car showings on California's Monterey Peninsula, Bartsch accepted four sales orders from show attendees for the Formula One-inspired Eau Rouge.

"Four orders aren't going to cause us to go ahead with the car," he said, "but it shows you the level of excitement it's getting from people."
Source: Autonews
Old 08-25-14, 06:17 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zema
"But it's a strategy that is endorsed by Carlos Ghosn and supported and pushed by Andy Palmer."
Perhaps the naysayer(s) will sit down now
Old 08-25-14, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They completely screwed up the M line. When I saw the redesign for MY2011, I knew they were in trouble. They had huge success with the 2006-2010 M35/45, they should have chosen a more evolutionary design theme instead of completely curve-ifying it. They made it look too feminine in my opinion, toned down the rear-end (huge mistake), raised the price, and a lot of people lost interest. At least the refreshed Q70 looks promising and certainly more sporty/masculine than the current model.
I'll agree with you on that. I owned an '06 M45, an '08 M35 and an '10 M35 Sport. All were well put together and great driving cars that (although not beautifully styled) had a presence. They still look good today. When I saw the next generation "curvy" M I moved to another brand.

Interestingly, it was said that these M's were a larger version of the G35 sedan, which had already proven successful whereas this time around the latest M led with the new styling, the Q50 came after with a better design and the M is now borrowing from that for the refresh. Didn't work so well this way, but I do agree that the new cues from the Q50 make the Q70 look a lot more appealing.

Last edited by dseag2; 08-25-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 10:30 PM
supraken
Driver School Candidate

Not sure, but seems like they were on a roll a few years back, and now they lost their vison. Their current lineup doesn't really stir me in any way.
Old 08-25-14, 10:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think part of the problem(same thing with Acura) is that the competition got A LOT stiffer in the past 3 years or so. Audi is making beautiful products, the new Mercedes C-class is the first one that I won't label "cheap class" because it is IMO that good, everybody loves BMW, even if I think their current 3 series isn't any better than the car it replaced, Lexus has the hot looking IS.
Old 08-26-14, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Perhaps the naysayer(s) will sit down now
Makes no sense. Infiniti has everything to prove to people. This doesn't exactly look promising. below. Maybe some fans like yourself should be quiet and more humble considering the past 25 years and a CEO who jumped ship to join Caddy.